Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,272 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a house in Levittown with east meadow schools but it has an underground oil tank. Its not original. The previous owner had it replaced with a underground fiberglass tank. Its an estate sale so they dont know of the condition now but agreed to soil test. The seller is unwilling to abandon and move it. Asking price is 330k for a 3 bed 2 bath expanded ranch with no garage or basement but needs work (original windows need to be replaced, siding too and 100 amp service needs to be upgraded). My bid is 290k. My question is if the asking price is too much for that risk and if an underground fiberglass tank is acceptable/has no bearing on property value or resale value. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM

91 posts, read 258,359 times
Since the tank is not original and it's fiberglass, it is safer. i don't reccomend having the tank underground either way, but it's not as prone to leaks as the original tank. It also gives you more options as far as insurance is concerned. Most companies do not write a policy if the home has an underground tank, however there are a couple more that will if it was replaced within the last 30 years and is fiberglass.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Here's a link to information regarding oil tanks, including info on rules in Nassau and Suffolk Counties:

www.oilheatcomfortcorp.com/PDF/tankBrochure.pdf

Hope this is helpful to you!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
If the tank was replaced with a fiberglass tank, you probably have nothing to worry about. Many, many homes on LI have underground tanks. It is kind of the issue de'jour for home buyers. If you really like the home otherwise, an underground tank, in and of itself, should not hold you back.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:34 PM

75 posts, read 465,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn0982 View Post
I am considering buying a house in Levittown with east meadow schools but it has an underground oil tank. Its not original. The previous owner had it replaced with a underground fiberglass tank. Its an estate sale so they dont know of the condition now but agreed to soil test. The seller is unwilling to abandon and move it. Asking price is 330k for a 3 bed 2 bath expanded ranch with no garage or basement but needs work (original windows need to be replaced, siding too and 100 amp service needs to be upgraded). My bid is 290k. My question is if the asking price is too much for that risk and if an underground fiberglass tank is acceptable/has no bearing on property value or resale value. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is extremely important that you have the soil evaluated before you buy. If there is contamination in the soil it must be reported to the State of New York as a spill. The current owner is than responsible to clean-up the soil and obtain a "no-further action" letter from the State. When hiring a company to test the soil do not allow them to rely on an on-site evaluation with a hand held meter. All samples should go to a laboratory for analysis. Samples should be obtained from a depth of the bottom of the tank. If you can afford to spend a little additional money have the tank tightness tested because many fiberglass tanks have bad seals at the top of the tank. Also in this case if you must choose between a tank test or soil test choose the soil test. The reason is if the soil comes back hot the owner cannot just shut their eyes to this because now the state has a case number opened on this property whereas in the case of a tank test failure the owner can refuse to sell you the house and ignore the tank test results. Since this is Levittown they had many tanks buried that should not have been buried. Most of these tanks have leaked or are leaking and in this case the original tank must have leaked. Make sure they have a record showing the tank removal and condition of the soil. If this information is not available try and find out where the original tank was located. If you can determine where it was located hire a company like my company to extract samples from the old tank area. Many people on Long Island have had their tank leak and just removed the fuel and left it in place. Others have removed the tank but ignored the contamination from the leak. If paperwork does not exist as to proper closure or removal the tank may still be there and you should hire a company like mine to scan the area for tanks.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
We had our underground tank abandoned, and luckily there were no leaks. There's no way I'd want to risk thousands of $ cleaning up oil in dirt. That being said, I'd go ahead and spend a little extra money for peace of mind and investigate the soil, and if there is a leak, then it's not your headache and you can move on and look for a house that doesn't have the problem.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 12,234 times
Were are the lines for the oil tank top or bottom

Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn0982 View Post
My oil tank was buried when I bought my home. I had a DIFFICULT time getting homeowners insurance. Homeowners insurance is tough to get as is.

I closed on the home. I finally found a co. to insure me. I abanded the tank and got a new one 2 yreas after I moved in.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Mine is buried underground as well, actually under a small patio in the front of my house infront of where the kitchen is located. I had no problems getting home owners ins back in 2003. My house is from 1950 so maybe it's grandfathered in? I am getting it removed once we start with switching to gas.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times
Anyone know the cost of abandoning the tank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island