Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbxqt View Post
Where's Walter? What areas are included in the town of Huntington?

Elke- Who would benefit from this really? With "lower" incomes needed for the program, who would be able to secure a loan for a house in these more expensive areas? Hope that makes some sense....
not all of huntington is expensive though...isn't huntington station not so nice? I would assume huntington station IS also included in this. I am sure these families are not buying million dollar mansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
sounds great...do other towns have this? If not, they should!
A "group of Towns" had it earlier this year - it's over.
The Town of Babylon had it available until recently - no new applications accepted.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
not all of huntington is expensive though...isn't huntington station not so nice? I would assume huntington station IS also included in this. I am sure these families are not buying million dollar mansions.
Huntington Station has very nice areas.

Giving "colloquial" names, not "official" names, areas where these guidelines could definitely apply include:

parts of:
Huntington
Huntington Station
South Huntington
Greenlawn
E. Northport

and some other pockets

If anyone still has a Hagstrom map (Suffolk), just look at it - the Town borders are marked, so you can the what Hamlets and Villages are included.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Not by any means! Huntington Station is known for absentee landlords cramming 30 illegal alien men into single family homes.

There are a few nice neighborhoods there, but it is still too close for comfort to the illegal aliens and slumlords and you better habla espanol if you want to shop in the local stores. Go drive down NY Avenue in Huntington Station and you will think you could be in (one of the nicer parts I guess) of Central America or Mexico.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Why is everybody always talking about New York Ave as THE example of Huntington Station; there are lots and lots of other streets/areas that are NOTHING like it...

Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM

138 posts, read 491,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
A "group of Towns" had it earlier this year - it's over.
The Town of Babylon had it available until recently - no new applications accepted.
TOB (LIHP actually) is now telling us that the $15k is not actually the max matching amount, it is the ONLY matching amount.

I mean, you need to be putting down at least $15k.

You can't put down $10k, and get a $10k match.

I think they are misunderstanding the program they are running.
We did the counseling and explained what we planned to do, and this bit was never mentioned. Only now that we are approaching the 'finish line' is this stipulation stated/specified.

anyone else here anything about this?

i think it's bogus.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
TOB (LIHP actually) is now telling us that the $15k is not actually the max matching amount, it is the ONLY matching amount.

I mean, you need to be putting down at least $15k.

You can't put down $10k, and get a $10k match.

I think they are misunderstanding the program they are running.
We did the counseling and explained what we planned to do, and this bit was never mentioned. Only now that we are approaching the 'finish line' is this stipulation stated/specified.

anyone else here anything about this?

i think it's bogus.
With the price of houses, how LOW do you think the downpayment can go? You're not buying something in Mecca, NC.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Why is everybody always talking about New York Ave as THE example of Huntington Station; there are lots and lots of other streets/areas that are NOTHING like it...
Because it is the MAIN DRAG.

If the main drag looks like this, how do you get people to stick around and see the rest of Huntington Station unless they are single-family slumlords?

Let's face it. Huntington Station screwed up big time by NOT nipping absentee landlords who turn single-family into flophouses in the bud.

Huntington Station needs to clean up the absentee landlord flophouses because they are a fire hazard and because they attract illegal aliens.

If HS doesn't have limits on number of occupants in houses and apartments, they should make them and go after the landlords. Doesn't HS have a fire marshall or similar person overseeing dwellings?

HS could also cooperate with Homeland Security, as was done a little while back in Nassau. Yes, Homeland Security got some flack, but I'd rather have them running roughshod over illegal aliens than the illegal aliens running roughshod over the occupants of HS who actually belong in this country.

If they want respect, they need to earn it. Start by voting out the local politicians who have turned the other way with a wink and a nod and vote in people who will actually tackle the problem.

Homebuyers don't care how nice other parts of Huntington Station are with this in their midst.

Right now I would burn my money rather than buy a house in HS, no matter how nice the house or the individual block was and so would many others.

HS needs to tackle this problem and get back on track. It can be done.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM

138 posts, read 491,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
With the price of houses, how LOW do you think the downpayment can go? You're not buying something in Mecca, NC.
SONYMA, 3% = roughly $10k (a bit less than $10k, actually)

Old 04-20-2010, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,771 times
Hi, my sister recently heard something about this program and passed it along to me. My wife and I recently purchased a home in Huntington Station. We closed on Dec. 10 2009. The sale price of the home was $425,000 but we mortgaged $342,000. Is the limit for this program the actual sale price of the home or what is being mortgaged? In other words would we be qualified for this program? I haven't been able to find any other additional information. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island