Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM

577 posts, read 979,450 times

Advertisements

I noticed that the NYPD helicopter responded...where was the Nassau County Police Department Helicopter? Nassau taxpayers want to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Did you ALSO notice the other three helicopters that were there, one more from NYC, and two from Nassau? Did you ALSO know that ONLY NYC is certified to do air/sea rescues? Yeah, don't actually ask what happened, sign on & anonymously complain, pretending that you're a "really Concerned" citizen"

Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
There were definitely several helicopters. I could hear them flying low and fast over my house that night and I knew something was wrong, but I figured it was an accident on the parkway. They had the whole story on News 12 tonight....very tragic, my heart goes out to both families.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Cool. If the Nassau copter did indeed sit this one out, the taxpayers of Nassau County saved a bundle of money.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
They were flying over JOHNINWESTBURY's house.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 PM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
Did you ALSO notice the other three helicopters that were there, one more from NYC, and two from Nassau? Did you ALSO know that ONLY NYC is certified to do air/sea rescues? Yeah, don't actually ask what happened, sign on & anonymously complain, pretending that you're a "really Concerned" citizen"

I apologize, did not realize I had to put my name address and phone number on here to post something?

This was pretty much a bad car accident in some swamp water. Why couldn't Nassau handle this on their own?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:47 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
for some reason, they said the nypd specialized in this. I dont know why nassau didnt have the resources but perhaps it had something to do with the special training the nypd received during the new 9/11 training.

I had just found out that my friend's wife was also in the crash. she survived. I contacted her children as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
I apologize, did not realize I had to put my name address and phone number on here to post something?

This was pretty much a bad car accident in some swamp water. Why couldn't Nassau handle this on their own?
If you have really no real information on the crash, obviously weren't there or you would have seen the multiple copters, Where is your beef?

You make accusatory statements with no basis of fact or understanding.

Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 10-07-2009 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: do not call member's troll.. report them please

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post

First, I don't think you really understand that where this accident scene was makes in very unlike a car accident in that you can't easily get rescue equipment to the victims, nor can you easily get the victims to the rescue equipment. The bottom line to the whole thing is that helicopters get there faster and NYPD's machines are bigger. NYPD's are bigger because NYPD took on added responsibility of a SAR (sea/air rescue) role when the Coast Guard station at Floyd Bennett was shut down. CG was also on scene but since their nearest SAR unit is in Atlantic City, they were not among the first to arrive. Let me try to explain:

Fire departments and NCPD were both notified of the accident.
Wantagh FD responded and would have sent their boat and except their boat is out of service. Plenty of other FD's also were dispatched as well as other FD rescue boats. They all apparently did a great job of getting equipment out to the scene as quickly as possible and they certainly were key to the entire job.

NCPD marine unit responded but they were not close enough to be on scene first, leaving NCPD aviation (the helicopter) as first on scene. 1 NCPD helo landed on the marsh with PO's/Medics to aid victims.

There were 7 victims... As I understand it, 2 of the victims were in cardiac arrest while on the marsh. The other NCPD helo took one of the cardiacs out of there (they can only carry one at a time). this left 6 victims that needed out, someone in command at NCPD had already anticipated this and called for NYPD to help. The NYPD helo was called because their helo can carry multiple victims where Nassau's can not. By calling in NYPD the victims got out of there quicker.

The objective is to save lives, that is mission number 1. If you're neighboring agencies have equipment that helps you accomplish that, then you use it and thank them for their aid. Ego among rescue workers can cause lives, in this case the right call was made to get help for the victims as quickly as possible.

So Mr. Taxpayer does this help make this situation a little clearer?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 AM

44 posts, read 130,002 times
well said liltown ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: