Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
The problem with illegals is that the property tax on that house is for a one family house. 2 Family Houses pay a lot more. So the owner of the illegal house is getting away with not paying taxes they should. the other problem is that when you live in an area that has a parking problem, a ton of illegal apartments make life difficult for those who rightfully live there.

Other then that, I have no problems with Illegals. People need a place to live and there aren't that many cheap options around.
I have a problem with it...exactly as you said...the people in the illegals are taking up the parking spots- it isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
I'm speaking from a tenant's POV. It doesn't seem to be relivant to the situation. They have problems, they should ask the LL to fix them. Moreso, it sounds like an excuse from the renter in most situations. I do think that those who rent illegal apartments really have no business complaining to the authorities that it is illegal. They wanted the cheaper rent, they took the apartment.

according to the OP, its zoned as 2 family per Mynassauproperty.com, so I'm assuming its being taxed as a 2. They went through a realitor, from what I understand realitors cannot show illegal apartments.

I'm not a fan of the illegal apartment, parking nightmares etc etc However, this really is a LI thing. in most places you can rent out part of your house and even on LI assuming you get permits. TOH you can't but babylon, oysterbay, riverhead, you can to varying degrees.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I'm speaking from a tenant's POV. It doesn't seem to be relivant to the situation. They have problems, they should ask the LL to fix them. Moreso, it sounds like an excuse from the renter in most situations. I do think that those who rent illegal apartments really have no business complaining to the authorities that it is illegal. They wanted the cheaper rent, they took the apartment.

according to the OP, its zoned as 2 family per Mynassauproperty.com, so I'm assuming its being taxed as a 2. They went through a realitor, from what I understand realitors cannot show illegal apartments.

I'm not a fan of the illegal apartment, parking nightmares etc etc However, this really is a LI thing. in most places you can rent out part of your house and even on LI assuming you get permits. TOH you can't but babylon, oysterbay, riverhead, you can to varying degrees.
A lot of people who rent are not very savvy and don't know what is illegal and what is not. Just look at the proliferation of "to rent" ads that say "utilities included." Those that don't know any better assume it must be legal. As you admit, it is a LI thing, so people who want to move to LI from out of town and rent an apartment are also not savvy to this situation.

As for being zoned as two family, a lot of people who have a 2 family house will make an apartment in the basement too so that there are really 3 families in the house.

As for realtors "not being allowed" to show illegal rentals, they do anyway all the time figuring they probably won't get caught. Look at ads placed by realtors on LI and many still say "utilities included."

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,009 times
Wow thanks for all the responses. But lets get one thing clear: we rented the apartment through Century 21 and the apartment was also listed on MLSLI.com as a LEGAL 2 bedroom. I don't care if an apartment is legal or illegal, what I do care about is if my apartment is in violation of some major building codes that could potentially pose health risks. Knowing that the apt is illegal makes a case hard to make against my landlord to the city. That's the point here, not if we're a bunch of bloated frat guys living in a moldy basement on Indiana -- so I am a little disappointed to realize I paid a realtor money to show me an apartment that I could potentially get kicked out of because my landlord is a retard. And yeah, parking in the West End is atrocious, it's obvious, but illegal renters or not - when you have that many bar patrons on the weekends and that many beach goers in the summer, you're going to have parking problems, period. There is never any parking and that has very little to do with how many stoned surfers are living in a two bedroom. The difference seems to be the city's denial that any problem even exists. Why aren't more lots being used up in those empty spots? Why isnt the city buying that property? I'd honestly like to know.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnewbie84 View Post
Wow thanks for all the responses. But lets get one thing clear: we rented the apartment through Century 21 and the apartment was also listed on MLSLI.com as a LEGAL 2 bedroom. I don't care if an apartment is legal or illegal, what I do care about is if my apartment is in violation of some major building codes that could potentially pose health risks. Knowing that the apt is illegal makes a case hard to make against my landlord to the city. That's the point here, not if we're a bunch of bloated frat guys living in a moldy basement on Indiana -- so I am a little disappointed to realize I paid a realtor money to show me an apartment that I could potentially get kicked out of because my landlord is a retard. And yeah, parking in the West End is atrocious, it's obvious, but illegal renters or not - when you have that many bar patrons on the weekends and that many beach goers in the summer, you're going to have parking problems, period. There is never any parking and that has very little to do with how many stoned surfers are living in a two bedroom. The difference seems to be the city's denial that any problem even exists. Why aren't more lots being used up in those empty spots? Why isnt the city buying that property? I'd honestly like to know.
You can get a parking permit from city hall i think that allows you to park in most (if not all) west end lots after 8pm. Don't quote me on the time, but I know there are def. permits. You should find out about that.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
If you dont like it move out. Simple solution.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb4027 View Post
If you dont like it move out. Simple solution.
Great advice for a post that is over 4 years old. Kudos.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 PM

151 posts, read 367,594 times
I'm POSITIVE that after Sandy, the OP is NOT living there anymore

Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldyone View Post
I'm POSITIVE that after Sandy, the OP is NOT living there anymore

LOL and he thought he had mold problems then.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM

191 posts, read 516,729 times
My advice to you is MOVE. I lived in the west end for years also in an illegal apartment. The city knows about them. From everything you listed, especially the Mold, just move already. It's impossible to get rid of the mold. After Sandy the whole west end has mold problems. Exspecially if the owner lives out of town. He's probably not going to bother fixing it correctly (which is very tedious and expensive)

For 1400 you can find something on the east end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island