Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:37 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,271,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Who on earth is responsible for school zoning on LI? Massapequa is in Nassau County, Amityville is in Suffolk County. Amityville Schools are some the worst on LI. Why is East Massapequa forced to send their children across county lines to Amityville. Will someone please explain this?
It's like this in a lot of places. There are parts of Wantagh that go to Levittown schools...and Wantagh schools are far better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There are parts of Wantagh that go to Levittown schools ...
While parts of the "Wantagh, NY 11793" postal zone are in the Levittown school district, no part of the Hamlet of Wantagh are in the Levittown school Dsitrict (the "Wantagh, NY 11793" postal zone is larger than the community whose name it shares).

It's the Hamlet of North Wantagh that is in the Levittown school district.

For those unfamiliar with North Wantagh:

North Wantagh is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the east section of the Town of Hempstead, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of North Wantagh in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Levittown; on the east by the Hamlet of North Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Seaford and the Hamlet of Wantagh; and, on the west by the Hamlet of North Bellmore.

North Wantagh is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North Wantagh have either a "Wantagh, NY 11793" or a "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

North Wantagh, along with parts of the Hamlet of Levittown, once comprised the area known in Colonial times as Jerusalem.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,096 times
Accidently found your question on the forum. Funny was just talking about this. Was raised in East Massapequa. However, when I lived there in 1964 it was Amityville. Amityville Post office Amityville Schools. However. being in the little so called Hamlet of what is now East Massaapequa, yes we were kind of left out in the cold so to speak. In the early 70's there was a great amount of Real Estate going up in Massapequa in the shores. There was alot of swamp land developed there and alot of people who were home owners between Clocks Blvd ,which at that time was the rich part of town, began to move out and into Newer bigger houses in the shores of Massapequa. Now I at this time attended the High School. They wanted to bus us to Massapequa high school to prepare us for the change. However we protested in the school because we did not want to go. We had friends in the school that we were in and did not want to leave. And we won. However the Civic Association were very influencial in some how having the post office changed and all the other things associated with being part of Massapequa so that the people that were still left in the Hamlet could sell their houses quick and get out before anyone noticed. They were telling everyone that they had a choice of what scool they wanted to attend. Which of course was over one summer and when the summer end and thier houses were sold, the story then changed again.The reason I know this is because when I was babysitting for a women who lived down the block, there was a women (can't recall her name) but she had been there for years, and because of the new houses that went up in the shores the older houses began to drop in value the war ended and the economy was looking better for some and the neighbor hood began to change.More people from the North part of Amityville could now afford the houses in the southern end of town on the water. She was having a conversation over the phone next door to where I was babysitting and I had just put the baby to sleep. When her conversation between the stillness of the evening entered the room where I was quietly sitting and I heard the whole conversation of her telling her friend that now is the time to get out while they can before someone notices what was going on. So that is how it all began. It was all for the money of selling homes in a jiffy.. My mother still lives there. Clocks Blvd was a very famous place to Will Rodgers, Jack Stone and Annie Oakley Just to name a few. It was all big homes or tiny bungalows and lots of marsh land. My Cousin lived on County Line Rd on the west side by the Southern State, and that too was considered Amityville. Not any more. I can't say for sure who really changed all that. But I have a good idea why.. Isn't it always about the money???????And if you throw a little politics in there, well then there you have it. It all makes no sense.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 15,924 times
Tell me about it You you think by now some one could do something to change it I had to put my 12 year old on home school because of the torment and abuse he went tru- not to mention medication. If anyone out there has a good education attorney- please forward the name. I'M GOING TO BEAT THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lawdave; 01-09-2008 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: type-o

Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,564,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdave View Post
Tell me about it You you think by now some one could do something to change it I had to put my 12 year old on home school because of the torment and abuse he went tru- not to mention medication. If anyone out there has a good education attorney- please forward the name. I'M GOING TO BEAT THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sending you a DM with the name of an attorney who I used. He is very effective.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 20,920 times
I live in Massapequa and pay 9k in school taxes plus about 4k in Town of Oyster Bay taxes. If you live in East Massapequa you are paying Town taxes to the Town of Oyster Bay but your school taxes are paid to the Amityville School District. Don't know if they are high. Becase the school district is perceived as better and let's face it - lily white- the demand for the homes is greater and the price goes up. East Massapequa is less desireable to buyers with kids and because of that the houses are less expensive and they draw more investors that rent properties, etc...

Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,198,469 times
Lived in Amityville, Will Rodgers, Jack Stone and Annie Oakley Just to name a few. It was all big homes or tiny bungalows and lots of marsh land.

Do you mean the Annie Oakley ? I never had heard that one !!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2008, 06:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,562,086 times
Default Buffalo Bill's Wild West show

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Do you mean the Annie Oakley ? I never had heard that one !!!

Annie Oakley was in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show and Buffalo Bill's Wild West show spent 1894 in Ambrose Park in the South Brooklyn neighborhood of the City of Brooklyn, an easy commute to Amityville, I'm guessing.

http://www.bbhc.org/img/bbm/NYpost4_L.jpg (broken link)

The show played Ambrose Park for the entire 1894 season, and although attendance was good, it was not consistent throughout the long run. Trying to meet $4,000 a day in expenses (today this is equivalent to over $100,000 per day) during the long Ambrose Park stand created great financial strains for Cody, who said it was "the tightest squeeze of my life."

It would lead to a change in the show's production -- numerous short term venues traversing the country.

In 1894, the Wild West played one city -- Brooklyn; 1895 saw the Wild West in 131 cities and towns across the United States.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 20,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdave View Post

You'll never win. LI real estate values are directly tied to the school districts. They let your kids in and folks from all over will want in too and it's not fair to those who spend the extra money to buy in a "better" district.

I am sure that they have been through it before. Let us know if you are successful 'cause then I'll try to move my kids from my Massapequa district into Cold Spring Harbor without spending the dough to move!!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,496,939 times
In this case, you would pay Massapequa town taxes and Amityville school taxes......unless its out of the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island