Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't see how anyone making an educated guess would think that the stuff produced by the collapse WOULDN'T cause devastating health effects. I worked 20 miles away on the north shore and the smell burned my throat the day after.

However, I ran a search on google relating to brain tumors and asbestos, and got one hit that showed any correlation. Now, lung cancer can metastasize and spread to the brain..maybe that's what happened to this guy, we don't know.
I've been reading your series of posts and must say that I'm outraged by your insensitivity to the death of this police officer. Your well-known bias against cops comes through loud and clear.

You have absolutely no idea what went on down at Ground Zero (some of us were there.) This latest victim is the 19th NYPD officer to die post 9/11 from exposure to the toxic materials. You can google medical issues all you want, but the truth is that no one knows what was in the air nor what the combination of chemicals encountered can do to the human body. Until you can speak with authority about the cause and effect of the various ailments suffered by WTC responders, do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I've been reading your series of posts and must say that I'm outraged by your insensitivity to the death of this police officer. Your well-known bias against cops comes through loud and clear.

You have absolutely no idea what went on down at Ground Zero (some of us were there.) This latest victim is the 19th NYPD officer to die post 9/11 from exposure to the toxic materials. You can google medical issues all you want, but the truth is that no one knows what was in the air nor what the combination of chemicals encountered can do to the human body. Until you can speak with authority about the cause and effect of the various ailments suffered by WTC responders, do us all a favor and keep your opinions to yourself.
We've had our share of disagreements in the past but I happen to agree with you strongly here.

Those men and women deserve nothing but honor and dignity.

Peace

Crooks

Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM

9 posts, read 15,916 times
requesting an autopsy is disrespectful?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post

So who a person is determines how legitimate their questions are? Stop a second and think about what you are saying? This guy clearly has some cop antipathy, but asbestos doesn't cause brain tumors.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
Default Yes...so they deserve truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
We've had our share of disagreements in the past but I happen to agree with you strongly here.

Those men and women deserve nothing but honor and dignity.

Peace

Crooks
They deserve more than mere reverence. They deserve answers, and those aren't uncovered by people arguing that their memories are best honored by silence.

How perfectly anti-intellectual!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 15,916 times
so basicly we are saying so long to all first responders, because if this air was so bad, their ALL screwed? and lets not look into it, cuz we all know how bad it is... in respect of healthy, surviving first responders they deserve to know if these things are being caused by the situation they were in.

or they dont count because they didnt get sick...your only a hero if u get sick or die?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
He's not going to even make a point, let alone defend it. You were right to ask your question and shouldn't have dignified Crookhaven's reaction with further information. Anyone with an education knows that inquisitiveness and skepticism are the hallmarks of enlightened society.

And what a perfect context for this discussion, considering Bush's rhetoric of "heroes" and all of that other post-9/11 nonsense was all intended to silence opposition. And the irony of ironies is that Bush allowed all these heroes to get sick, and some to die while muzzling the EPA and other whistle-blowed.

"Crooks" is a sycophantic douche.
"Sycophantic douche" is a tad harsh...no?

Apparently you are completely unfamilair with my political leanings.
I may not agree with what you have to say but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

What can I tell you, it really turned my gut to see how quick we were to judge.
This guy was from my hometown,I feel really bad for his family.

I think we have an obligation to do the right thing here. If these guys got sick in the line of duty we ought to come clean on this and help them out.

Now please get off your "Enlightened Society" high horse, you sound like a fool.

Youre right, 9/11 changed everything but not the C-D TOS.

See You Next Tuesday.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-13-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
They deserve more than mere reverence. They deserve answers, and those aren't uncovered by people arguing that their memories are best honored by silence.

How perfectly anti-intellectual!
OP

"Sad story.

I hope they come clean with this stuff, these guys deserve better".

Crooks

Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Cancer is just one of many diseases and health issues that may have been caused/triggered/accelerated the contaminated air. The air quality was deemed "safe", useless paper marks were given out to protect oneself from dust, human remains, jet fuel, asbestos, steel, plastic, etc that workers were exposed to during their months of work performed after 9/11.

Research how long the cadaver/rescue canines lasted after working 9/11, not many.

From WTC Monitoring (http://www.wtcexams.org/healthfindings.html - broken link)

Conclusions

"The workers and volunteers who served New York City and the nation through their heroic service in the aftermath of September 11 need continuing medical surveillance and follow- up, especially because some diseases, such as cancer, are of long latency. Malignant mesothelioma resulting from exposure to asbestos, for example, may not become evi- dent for 30–50 years. These biological facts plus the magnitude and complexity of the exposures indicate that WTC responders should be monitored for at least 20–30 years, ... "

Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
So who a person is determines how legitimate their questions are? Stop a second and think about what you are saying? This guy clearly has some cop antipathy, but asbestos doesn't cause brain tumors.
Perhaps you should read my post more carefully. It was more than asbestos. It was many, many different chemicals and substances, in combinations that are still unknown in human impact. The WTC monitoring program is busier now than ever, diagnosing and treating a variety of illnesses, some life-threatening, that normally shouldn't appear in healthy adults. The health implications of this event will be felt for decades.

So unless you have knowledge of the whole picture, choose your words carefully. Remember that these cops and fireman were running into the danger while everyone else was running away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island