Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 AM

122 posts, read 390,951 times

Advertisements

As someone who is currently stuck owning a house in an underperforming district--one that would aspire to Comsewogue quality-- I tend to agree with Andrea.

If we can possibly sell next year, we are looking at some nice rentals in Pt. Jefferson. We only plan to be on LI for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoprice View Post
There are very few schools on par with Three Village - that said, Comsewogue is fine - their ratings suffer because not all the parents can afford private tutors to help raise the grades, like they do in Three Village -- I understand that my neighbors don't reflect the quality of the school district.

Not all parents in the TVCSD can afford private tutors; in fact, a fair number can't. While there is wealth in the TVCSD, there are also many areas in which the residents are blue collar/working class.

That written, and keeping with S.I.B.'s good advice re: renting, have you looked at rentals in Stony Brook in the areas along/off 25A and in the developments all along Stony Brook Road?

There's currently a house at 20 Hawkins Rd (nice location) mls#2226465, $1,900/mon, and here's the description:
"Beautifully Kept 2/3 Bedrm, 3 Bth Ranch.1 Bedrm Used As Home Office W/Sep. Ent.,Can Be Conv Back To 3rd Bedrm. Hardwd Flrs, 2 Skylts, Custom Calif. Closets.Close To Sbu & Lirr. Walk To Village & Duck Pond. Very Priv Setting W/Lg Deck In Yard. Cac,2 Car Gar & Full Basement."

It's worth taking a look at. It'll put you in the 3v schools, walkable distance to the village, the beach, the LIRR & SUNY.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 10-20-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Left off rent $

Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
This idea that everyone in 3 village district is wealthy is absurd. People saying this can't possibly have driven around the area...pretty much everything except the areas North of SBU are middle class.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This idea that everyone in 3 village district is wealthy is absurd. People saying this can't possibly have driven around the area...pretty much everything except the areas North of SBU are middle class.

With the exception of the Critter Section and Arrowhead (which are pretty close to lower middle) its mostly Upper Middle So of 25A.

3v is still fairly aspirational (including Strathmore) but the old money is mostly North of 25a.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Crooks -- you're forgetting about the alphabet sections, University Heights, too...all (except for the S section) are more in line with the Critters/Arrowhead sections.

Lots of people underwater in their houses in the area -- all living like they were Old Field -- spoke with a real estate agent at a recent charity dinner. Start looking for more foreclosures in those areas.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Crooks -- you're forgetting about the alphabet sections, University Heights, too...all (except for the S section) are more in line with the Critters/Arrowhead sections.

Lots of people underwater in their houses in the area -- all living like they were Old Field -- spoke with a real estate agent at a recent charity dinner. Start looking for more foreclosures in those areas.

I disagree with the rest of Strathmore.I think they all held up pretty well.
S,H and B, in particular ...some middle (the old timers) but mostly upper middle of late.
(Most of my Middle Class friends came out to RP or left for NC years ago.)

University Heights is on par with Critterville(SUNY Renatls etc).

South Setauket Park is slight step up from UH but not as nice as the other Levitts though(and its in Centereach).

I think the Levitt developments look awesome considering the age.
I love it now with the mature trees etc.

Great place, great memories.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I disagree with the rest of Strathmore.I think they all held up pretty well.
S,H and B, in particular ...some middle (the old timers) but mostly upper middle of late.
(Most of my Middle Class friends came out to RP or left for NC years ago.)

University Heights is on par with Critterville(SUNY Renatls etc).

South Setauket Park is slight step up from UH but not as nice as the other Levitts though(and its in Centereach).

I think the Levitt developments look awesome considering the age.
I love it now with the mature trees etc.

Great place, great memories.

Crooks
The mature trees make a big difference and soften the development quality in the Levitt areas; they really make a difference.

U Heights = Critterville. You're spot on.

The alphabets are looking OK, but then residents I personally know of (H, O, M) are living above their means. Appearances can be deceiving. Lots of leased import SUVs in the driveways, lots of HELOC'd additions. Houses might look good from a south shore POV. Lots of vinyl replacing cedar, fucco creeping in. If I find myself missing Massapequa, I take a drive through the H-O-M. (If only there were an All American)

B (IMHO) has been reasonably well maintained with a few less attrocious (sp?) additions/"improvements".

Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
That house on Hawkins Road in Stony Brook sounds like a great deal - I love that street - it's beautiful over there - extremely safe, beautiful landscaping, etc. Quite a find for $1900/month.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The mature trees make a big difference and soften the development quality in the Levitt areas; they really make a difference.

U Heights = Critterville. You're spot on.

The alphabets are looking OK, but then residents I personally know of (H, O, M) are living above their means. Appearances can be deceiving. Lots of leased import SUVs in the driveways, lots of HELOC'd additions. Houses might look good from a south shore POV. Lots of vinyl replacing cedar, fucco creeping in. If I find myself missing Massapequa, I take a drive through the H-O-M. (If only there were an All American)

B (IMHO) has been reasonably well maintained with a few less attrocious (sp?) additions/"improvements".

B and H are more like like the S (maybe even a tad nicer, smaller)

I think your right when looking at O,M,P (and I did see the fucco).

I think the Strathmores still have some charm.
I know there some over extended folks there (but theres some North of 25a too).

Stony Brook is still a great town.

Crooks

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
B and H are more like like the S (maybe even a tad nicer, smaller)

I think your right when looking at O,M,P (and I did see the fucco).

I think the Strathmores still have some charm.
I know there some over extended folks there (but theres some North of 25a too).

Stony Brook is still a great town.

Crooks
I left S out because it is an island unto itself; being on the opposite side of Nicolls helps, sort of how the other side of Oxhead helps B from becoming more like the OMP. H has some issues. Are you familiar with the large house on the corner of Nicolls and Hastings? It was bought by absentee, foreign-type landlords. Neighbors have witnesses many mattresses being moved in there with very little in the way of other furniture. Boarding house? Complaints have been lodged but as of now I don't know where the town is/isn't in terms of acting on them.

The overextending isn't exclusive to S25A and I didn't mean for it to come across that way. I should have been more clear that I know more people (and was informed houses going under) in that area in general.

If a person lived within their means, this is a great town. I love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island