Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
people in St. James consider Rocky Point the country.
Ill take it.

If you can whoop up a time machine for me.

: )

I love that my family in Motzohpizza thinks were way out East.
You know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there by Coram.

Nassau really is its own planet.

Am I the only one with a map?
Wheres Walter?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ill take it.

you're in the country and you don't even realize it! how quaint...lol.

Quote:
I love that my family in Motzohpizza thinks were way out East

don't worry, they'll visit you one of these days. They're just waiting for the roads to be paved!

Quote:
Wheres Walter?
chasing all the Jews out of Party City.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^^ Some good ones there SIB! Lmfao.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
you're in the country and you don't even realize it! how quaint...lol.

don't worry, they'll visit you one of these days. They're just waiting for the roads to be paved!

chasing all the Jews out of Party City.
LMFnAO too

The don't realize that they're free to leave Nassau yet but once they're out here its getting them to go that's the trick.

Good luck with Walter.

Crooks

Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ill take it.

I love that my family in Motzohpizza thinks were way out East.
You know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there by Coram.

Wheres Walter?

Crooks
My folks lived in good ole MatzohPizza when I lived in Rocky Point. It was hysterical to listen to them talk about 'the ride'.

I am going to suggest that Nassau believes it is the sun around which the rest of us should revolve.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:

Is that before or after we all get that fancy indoor plumbing?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My folks lived in good ole MatzohPizza when I lived in Rocky Point. It was hysterical to listen to them talk about 'the ride'.

I am going to suggest that Nassau believes it is the sun around which the rest of us should revolve.

I couldnt agree more OBH, its pure comedy when my Motzohpizza family come out, they act like theyre going to Nebraska.
Its funny,they have some delusional bygone sense of self importance.

What they fail to realize is that for the most part Nassau is pretty much nostalgia and an appendage of Queens now.
Sadly Its glory days ended with the Levitt cape, Grumman and The Wonder Years and Suffolks not far behind.

Theyre grumbliing about the taxes and the traffic of late (its no picnic out here either), I suspect theyll be out here with the rest of us nassau/queens expats soon enough.
Either that or they'll go Tarheel.

God help us.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-16-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
I know Rocky Point is west of the middle island demarcation point....and if you're only including Nassau & Suffolk it's way west, but from where I'm getting on the parkway it might as well be Dutchess County. Honestly, anything past where the SSP ends is "out east" to me.

That's not a bad thing, it's just all about perspective. To people who live in Brooklyn Heights, I'm sure Little Neck seems like an enormous trek and a rural area. To get from Woodmere to Woodbury can take the same amount of time it would to drive from Rocky Point to Orient Point....even though it's more like the distance from Port Jeff to Patchogue (less, actually).

You have to understand that perception of distance is mainly influenced by time....and since there is a massive disparity in population density and suburban sprawl between the counties, a native of Nassau will perceive the ~40 mile trek to north shore Brookhaven as they would driving 40 miles on Route 107 during rush hour. Likewise, it might seem silly to someone who grew up in Suffolk to consider a place like Rocky Point (only 60 miles east of NYC!) to be "out in the country", as opposed to just another suburban enclave amongst many others in the middle of the island.

I work on the road so I'm way out east all the time, but it still feels like a long trip to me. I also get confused when I don't see at least one 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts every half mile and at least 2 gas stations on every corner. The main roads (LIE, Sunrise, 347, Middle Country, etc.) out in Suffolk are also lined with miles of either nothing or pure crap, so it tricks you into believing that the areas you're passing through are much less populated than they really are.

I'm sure people in Queens think Nassau looks like the country, and they might be right...

Case in point: here is what Lake Success looks like from North Shore Towers in Glen Oaks. The Northern State Parkway, LIE, Northern Boulevard and North Shore/LIJ are all lurking in the foreground under those treetops!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:48 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I just passed through the Port Jeff to Rocky Point neck of the woods yesterday.
From Miller Place east was awesome. Haven't been through that area in a long time.
Rocky Point is really lookin good these days.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I just passed through the Port Jeff to Rocky Point neck of the woods yesterday.
From Miller Place east was awesome. Haven't been through that area in a long time.
Rocky Point is really lookin good these days.
Little by slowly Karl.

Its taken some work, but Rocky Point has come a long way in pretty a short time, theres still room for improvement..but were on it.

Thanks for noticing.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island