Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 AM

162 posts, read 600,508 times

Advertisements

I'm not basing my entire argument on semantics, I just called out your rather degrading use of the term "The Hood" to describe what you think is ghetto. To me the term "The Hood" is generally used when that someone lives in a neighborhood refers to their neighborhood as "The Hood" simply as a shorter way of saying "neighborhood", which seems like the young lady you described used it from what you quoted. If you were to go to Brownsville for an example, and walk up to a resident saying "Yo, you live in the hood!" for an example, I almost guarantee that you would receive a negative response, but if do you walk up to someone one day from "Brownsville" saying something similar to that statement and receive a positive response, tell me about it and maybe I'll reconsider my views. I never mentioned race, and I had no intentions on calling you out for racism, so I'll just leave it at that.

Maybe the area could burn to the ground and no one would care, I don't live in Suffolk so I can't speak on that, but your claim of Shirley being one of the roughest areas in the county seems to be uncalled for based on what I've personally seen of Shirley in the past. To give you a general picture on my experiences with the Shirley area, I've walked around Smith Road, William Floyd Parkway, Montauk Highway, and William Floyd Plaza during the day, and I've walked around the small mall where Pathmark is and the area around the train station during the day and night, and I've personally never had a problem with the people in Shirley, even the people who hung out at the train station and seemed like they're looking for trouble at first, but just ended up being rather friendly and cool to talk to in the end like people in better areas such as East Hampton, so that's why I'm doubting your claim. As for the people you say "want out" of Shirley, what have specifically experienced that made them feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 AM

327 posts, read 1,059,770 times
cheap cigarettes, Roy Rodgers and sex offenders how can you go wrong.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,100,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
This whole reply is laugh-worthy. You're arguing semantics. The area, quite bluntly, is a ****hole. The whole area could burn to the ground and no one would even notice for weeks, much less care. The area is one of the roughest in the county, and to answer your question, yes, I do know people who live there, and they want out. One young lady told me "I hate living in the hood." YOU brought race into this conversation. It has nothing to do with black or white.
Cmon thats harsh.
Every area needs its Baltic Ave.

Fortunately for us, ours is more like a Lower Middle Class Suburb than a Compton.

If the Tri Hamlet area could get its schools on track, get rid of its slumlords and level 3s ...it really could revitalize.

Im hopeful for the area.I hope they incoporate.
Mastic Beach Village Exploratory Committee

Suffolk county and DSS has used it as its dumping ground for human trash for way too long,

It really is a diamond in the rough.

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,100,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Oh come on....obviously you never been to a real slum.

Slum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly right.

People on this board really dont know what a slum (or the country) looks like.

Our poor have dental for Christ sakes.

The "poor" in Mastic are far wealthier than most of upstate NY.

Absurd.

Crooks

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,640 times
I went out with a girl about 20 years ago, that originally was from lindenhusrt but moved to shirley. that was the first time I saw roaches on long island!

in 95, I worked in shirley as a security guard at some ghetto mall, with a pathmark. I saw a bunch of degenerates, all day. I asked some of the mall employees why they looked they way they did. They replied the town was full of inbreds and drug addicts. I guess long island had to have a place for them, right?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 AM

question about "Syracuse". is it that bad? My ex lives there and she is making like it is paradise. whats funny is that she posts pictures of her so called "house" and from what I hear, nothing like that is possible. she then takes pictures of other parts of her property and it doesnt match with the initial photo.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM

ok, she says this is her home in syracuse.

do homes like this exist there?

now, this is her "hummer" in front of her house. the stree is a mere few feet from her doorstep, as opposed the the photo above where the street is at least 30 feet away.

now, this is her backyard, which doest match her home in the first photo. there a fence here but in the first photo, there is no fence whatsoever. then to boot, the style of home isnt the same. in the rear, its a split level and the main isnt.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:35 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,569,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
I just went to Shirley about 2-3 weeks ago at night to finally eat at the Roy Rogers there and didn't have a problem.

Wow...you pulled all the stops to enjoy the night on the town didn't you?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
I'm not basing my entire argument on semantics, I just called out your rather degrading use of the term "The Hood" to describe what you think is ghetto. To me the term "The Hood" is generally used when that someone lives in a neighborhood refers to their neighborhood as "The Hood" simply as a shorter way of saying "neighborhood", which seems like the young lady you described used it from what you quoted. If you were to go to Brownsville for an example, and walk up to a resident saying "Yo, you live in the hood!" for an example, I almost guarantee that you would receive a negative response, but if do you walk up to someone one day from "Brownsville" saying something similar to that statement and receive a positive response, tell me about it and maybe I'll reconsider my views. I never mentioned race, and I had no intentions on calling you out for racism, so I'll just leave it at that.

Maybe the area could burn to the ground and no one would care, I don't live in Suffolk so I can't speak on that, but your claim of Shirley being one of the roughest areas in the county seems to be uncalled for based on what I've personally seen of Shirley in the past. To give you a general picture on my experiences with the Shirley area, I've walked around Smith Road, William Floyd Parkway, Montauk Highway, and William Floyd Plaza during the day, and I've walked around the small mall where Pathmark is and the area around the train station during the day and night, and I've personally never had a problem with the people in Shirley, even the people who hung out at the train station and seemed like they're looking for trouble at first, but just ended up being rather friendly and cool to talk to in the end like people in better areas such as East Hampton, so that's why I'm doubting your claim. As for the people you say "want out" of Shirley, what have specifically experienced that made them feel that way?

actually, when you say "the hood", it means "a bad neighborhood". but when you say "your hood", it generally means "the neighborhood you grew up in." or "the area you currently reside in." big difference when you use different words.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM

81 posts, read 132,880 times
She's clearly lying to try to impress you. Who cares? She's not over you and obviously still cares what you think. You should tell her you still think about her and then get her to send you raunchy photos. Then show them to me. Get on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island