Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,954 times

Advertisements

Today I learned that there are "vacation homes" in the Mastics. I guess people from the South Bronx and East New York can have vacation homes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Down by the state park lots of them.

Pagan Motorcycle gang use to "winter" in Mastic.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockkkkk View Post
I guess I'm sort of necro'ing here, ....blah blah blah blah.....I hope this post clears up some misconceptions and helps influence someone who might be considering settling in the region!
Best post since the days of LiQuest. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 54,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Today I learned that there are "vacation homes" in the Mastics. I guess people from the South Bronx and East New York can have vacation homes too.
If you were referencing my post, I live in Shirley. But there are nice "vacation homes" in Mastic as well. Look at 10 Hickory Rd, 57 Riviera Dr, 502 Riviera, 494 Riviera, 10 Beaver Dr...etc. There are plenty of really nice homes probably worth in the neighborhood of half a million. As for Shirley, there are plenty of really nice vacation homes here, too. Many of the waterfront homes on Grandview are worth up to half a million, and homes in the Carmen View neighborhood are worth over that. The waterfront condos behind my own home go for around $500,000...hell, my next door neighbors house is waterfront, and valued by the town assessor at $616,000- and that's their vacation home. Don't think they're from the South Bronx.

This is a view from my balcony. Really trashy, huh? The crack addicts wandering the street are out of frame- What I really can't believe is that I had time to snap the photo with all the bullets flying through the air that day. Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Best post since the days of LiQuest. Thanks for the laugh.
There are billions of people in the world who won't read what I posted, I didn't need you to inform me that you were one of them. But thanks for the laugh

As for the replies on the previous page, thank you for being civil and explaining your thoughts. But if a school has a drug problem, isn't it good that they bring in a treatment program? It probably would have done my high school, and many others, good.

People get robbed at gun point everywhere. I've seriously never felt like I was more at risk of witnessing an armed robbery on William Floyd Parkway than most other places. The Spiedie joint (use Google if you don't know what a spiedie is, you're missing out!) In my home town of Endicott, NY was robbed at gun point a couple weeks ago, and Endicott has no reputation for violent crime. Sometimes it just happens, unfortunately.

Last edited by mockkkkk; 02-26-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,049 times
Quote:
The waterfront condos behind my own home go for around $500,000...hell, my next door neighbors house is waterfront, and valued by the town assessor at $616,000- and that's their vacation home. Don't think they're from the South Bronx.
No C-D thread is complete unless someone or something gets trashed. Speaking of the S. Bronx, it has some nice housing developments also.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 PM

21 posts, read 54,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
No C-D thread is complete unless someone or something gets trashed. Speaking of the S. Bronx, it has some nice housing developments also.
I had heard they were making some progress over there, meant no offense to that region

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 PM

852 posts, read 968,545 times
Back in the 60's and 70's, the Mastic/Shirley area was used as a dumping ground for welfare recipients; mental patients; and released criminals- which consequently kept real-estate values there very low, which in-turn made the area a magnet for many other undesirables.

And you think it's bad now? You should have seen it in the 80's!!!

It has never fully recovered- but there is somewhat of a moderating force there now, as more mainstream people began moving there in the 90's to escape the higher prices of everywhere-else LI.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 231,884 times
Moderator cut: that (quoted) post was removed

Look up the Dana Estates in Mastic when you get a chance. Anna Wintour (Vogue) has been purchasing each home as it becomes available and has emassed quite the compound for herself. Her son got married there last summer and the pictures were posted all over. It's stunning. Believe it or not, some areas are quite breathtakingly beautiful. Also try looking into the homes off of River Road or Carmen's View.

I love it how everyone thinks the area is just teeming with crackheads, thugs, and robbers. It's mostly occupied by middle class, blue collar families who just want a place to call their own. Sure there can be crime, but there's also crime in other towns. I have never had an issue living in Shirley other than my neightbors kids playing Basketball at all hours of the day lol.

The area has a lot to offe regardless of what some might think. Smith Point and Wertheim Wild Refuge are beautiful places, just to name a few, and I enjoy spending time there.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-27-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 03:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicBW View Post
Moderator cut: that (quoted) post was removed

Look up the Dana Estates in Mastic when you get a chance. Anna Wintour (Vogue) has been purchasing each home as it becomes available and has emassed quite the compound for herself. Her son got married there last summer and the pictures were posted all over. It's stunning. Believe it or not, some areas are quite breathtakingly beautiful. Also try looking into the homes off of River Road or Carmen's View.

I love it how everyone thinks the area is just teeming with crackheads, thugs, and robbers. It's mostly occupied by middle class, blue collar families who just want a place to call their own. Sure there can be crime, but there's also crime in other towns. I have never had an issue living in Shirley other than my neightbors kids playing Basketball at all hours of the day lol.

The area has a lot to offe regardless of what some might think. Smith Point and Wertheim Wild Refuge are beautiful places, just to name a few, and I enjoy spending time there.
You act like she's a big part of the general community there. She is not.

She's been there since 1998 when she originally bought a 42-acre estate (gated, guarded 24-7) from another rich person. It's not like she started patiently buying up "precious" home after home to make an estate because it was MASTIC and she just had to be there! She originally bought something that was already a large estate. And none of her "cachet" has rubbed off on Mastic (or "Old Mastic" as it has been referred to in articles about Anna Wintour).

As for her buying property that is adjacent to her estate, don't kid yourself that it is because she has anything in common with or any love for the people of Mastic. It's the opposite. She doesn't want any undesirables to buy near her. She got quite a discount too. 5.9 acres on the waterfront with a 4BR colonial dropped down in price from $799K to $350K. Less than half of the original asking price? If Mastic is so beautiful and now such a draw for the well-heeled, how did THAT go so cheaply?

Anna Wintour snaps up waterfront property next to her 62-acre Long Island estate 'to prevent anyone else from doing so' | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Anna Wintour has reportedly purchased a house next to her gated estate in Mastic, on the east end of Long Island, to prevent anyone else from doing so.

'Fretful, perhaps, about the wrong kinds of neighbors. . . Anna went and snapped it up herself!' writes The Daily.

Apparently, the Vogue editor-in-chief snapped up the 5.9acre property, with a colonial-style four bedroom house and a 540-foot waterfront on Lons Creek, for $350,000 - down from the original asking price of $799.000.

Read more: Anna Wintour snaps up waterfront property next to her 62-acre Long Island estate 'to prevent anyone else from doing so' | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Look further down in the article and you will see a quote from the fabulous Anna Wintour herself about the people of Mastic:

Quote:
This isn't the first time Ms Wintour, who famously told author Kelly McMasters in 2008 of her Mastic summer estate: 'I just import the people I want. . . . I don't mind the town. It's white trash, of course, but I don't care,' has added adjoining properties to her real estate portfolio.

Read more: Anna Wintour snaps up waterfront property next to her 62-acre Long Island estate 'to prevent anyone else from doing so' | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
If I lived in Mastic, I would not brag about having a creep like Anna Wintour around even though she's going to be your only celebrity homeowner (excepting those made famous for crime) for the foreseeable future. She's no asset or ambassador for the area. Seriously, she's no fan of Mastic and its people. She just hides in her estate from what she considers the riff-raff.

Big deal that she has an estate there. It's not doing anyone there any good. Even the "beautiful" property right next to her went at a ridiculous discount for 5.9 acres and a house with waterfront access. I don't think that would happen anywhere else on LI that was on the water next to a famous person's estate.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,954 times
Quote:
If you were referencing my post, I live in Shirley. But there are nice "vacation homes" in Mastic as well. Look at 10 Hickory Rd, 57 Riviera Dr, 502 Riviera, 494 Riviera, 10 Beaver Dr...etc. There are plenty of really nice homes probably worth in the neighborhood of half a million. As for Shirley, there are plenty of really nice vacation homes here, too. Many of the waterfront homes on Grandview are worth up to half a million, and homes in the Carmen View neighborhood are worth over that. The waterfront condos behind my own home go for around $500,000...hell, my next door neighbors house is waterfront, and valued by the town assessor at $616,000- and that's their vacation home. Don't think they're from the South Bronx.
Having a fancy home in the Mastics is like having a filet mignon with turds smushed around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island