Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
How was that confrontational? I personally don't think RF had ANYTHING to do with Hofstra's decline- it isn't even in Hempstead! Apparantly I'm not allowed to disagree with anyone on this board?
Please read more carefully. No one said anything about RF having an impact on Hofstra's decline. Hofstra is not in decline.

The subject was that a large mall near the Hempstead shopping district affected Hempstead businesses. You are the one who brought up Hofstra and you conjectured that Hofstra had an impact on the decline of Hempstead and asked when did Hofstra orginate. I answered your question that Hofstra was established in 1937, well before Hempstead even had a large shopping area. You and I both AGREE that RF was not the only contributing factor to problems with Hempstead's shopping district.

Duh, we all know that RF and Hofstra are not in Hempstead. No one said that they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 05:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Duh, we all know that RF and Hofstra are not in Hempstead. No one said that they were.

Except for the dormitories, which are in East Garden City ("Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address), Hofstra is in the Village of Hempstead.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
You know Walter, that's right. I have sent mail to Hofstra to Hempstead with a 11550 zip code literally a thousand times. The OP had me upset and I got sidetracked. However, I did not know that some of the dorms are not located in Hempstead. If you know, may I ask which ones? I would think that the original towers are in Hempstead. Thank you for the information and I hope that you had a good Sabbath.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I did not know that some of the dorms are not located in Hempstead. If you know, may I ask which ones? I would think that the original towers are in Hempstead.
Coney, based on the LIPA Annual Population Survey, all the Hofstra dorms are in the Hamlet of East Garden City, and the latest LIPA estimate (as of January 1, 2008) shows a Hofstra dormitory population of 4,102.

A map of the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/East-garden-city-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Quote:
Thank you for the information and I hope that you had a good Sabbath.
You're welcome, and I hope you had a Good Shabbat, as well.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 AM

600 posts, read 2,090,814 times
I take serious issue with the assertion that Westchester County has less crime than Nassau. Nassau has a very low crime rate and Westchester has it's fair share of quite undesribale neighborhoods:

**SW Yonkers
**South Mount Vernon
**parts of New Rochelle
**parts of Port chester
**parts of Ossining
**Elmsford
**unincorporated part of the Town of Greenburgh
**most of Peekskill
**south White Plains, abutting Scarsdale; and northern part of the city of White Plains

Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post

Are you referring to all or parts of the Hamlet of East Irvington, the Hamlet of Fairview, the Hamlet of Greenville (colloquially known as Edgemont), the Hamlet of Hartsdale, the Hamlet of North Elmsford and the Hamlet of South Ardsley?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 PM

290 posts, read 583,080 times
Walter -- where do you get your maps from?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
Walter -- where do you get your maps from?

donkey95, I get the maps from Wikipedia, which gets the maps from the Census Bureau.

I would prefer to link directly to the Census Bureau URL for each map, but unfortunately, at this time, the Census Bureau is not using static URLs for their maps (each request for a map generates a new URL) and thus cannot be hot linked.

Wikipedia copies these Census Bureau maps and then assigns each map a static URL so that the Wikipedia copy of a Census map can be hot linked.

You can get a map of any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

If you want a map of the ZIP code, then, instead of inputting the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" and New York for "State", only input the ZIP Code and then click "GO".

The Census Bureau's online address search function, among other geographies, indicates in which school district an address is located, and you can obtain a map of that school district by highlighting the name of the school district by clicking it once, on the left, and then click Map it on the right.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,605 times
None of these areas are as bad as Hempstead, Freeport, or Huntington station. Most of the Westchester areas are showing signs of improvement and have ongoing downtown revitalization projects. Portchester has a very nice downtown now, for example. There were 4 murders in just one week in Nassau county (last week). How is this low crime rate? Compared to what.. Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I take serious issue with the assertion that Westchester County has less crime than Nassau. Nassau has a very low crime rate and Westchester has it's fair share of quite undesribale neighborhoods:

**SW Yonkers
**South Mount Vernon
**parts of New Rochelle
**parts of Port chester
**parts of Ossining
**Elmsford
**most of Peekskill
**south White Plains, abutting Scarsdale; and northern part of the city of White Plains

Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
None of these areas are as bad as Hempstead, Freeport, or Huntington station. Most of the Westchester areas are showing signs of improvement and have ongoing downtown revitalization projects. Portchester has a very nice downtown now, for example. There were 4 murders in just one week in Nassau county (last week). How is this low crime rate? Compared to what.. Detroit?
Nassau County is constantly rated among the safest counties in the U.S by the FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island