Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That is true at times, but how influential were the local business districts and the mom and pop shops to the communities surrounding the Short Hills mall? And what kind of impact did the mall have on the surrounding business's at the time? Keep in mind the Short Hills mall is fairly upscale, Roosevelt Field Mall has a much broader appeal and heavily middle-class customer base. The same customer base that use to frequent the Hempstead shopping and business districts.

I do agree a mall might not always negatively effect surrounding communities, in fact sometimes it can greatly help them. However, at times it can hurt them as well, especially in the case of Hempstead. The Hempstead shopping and business district was hurt badly by the mall. They just could not compete with it, and were unable to recover. The shopping and business districts were a vital part of Hempstead's infrastructure, once it collapsed it really hurt the community itself. Combine that with the steering practices of the 60's & 70's and the crack epidemic of the 80's and you have some serious problems
While I'm not disagreeing, the thing is Roosevelt Field isn't even in Hempstead! That's like saying Nassau Coliseum lead to the downfall of Freeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
While I'm not disagreeing, the thing is Roosevelt Field isn't even in Hempstead!
While Roosevelt Field, in the Hamlet of East Garden City, is not in the Village of Hempstead, it's fairly close, was easier to drive to and, I think, after getting there, was easier to find parking.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Quote:
I meant to say HEMPSTEAD's decline, not Hofstra...yikes, sorry. Sometimes I think my fingers have a mind of their own.

My point was, malls don't necessarily attribute to downfall of a community. Look at Short Hills, NJ.

No problem, Jdawg. My fingers have done that too! Looking forward to being friends with you.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,025 times
Walter--I don't know what the unicorporated part of Greenburgh is called either as hamelt or a postal zone.

Also, I'd say Hempstead and MOunt Vernon are fairly equivalent.....

Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Wes927, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Noo Yawk".

Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
While I'm not disagreeing, the thing is Roosevelt Field isn't even in Hempstead! That's like saying Nassau Coliseum lead to the downfall of Freeport.

True, but it is basically 10 minutes away from the heart of the old business district in Hempstead.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Roosevelt Field and all the other malls built in the 1950s replaced the retail service that hundreds of independent stores in Hempstead had provided prior to that time. The proximity doesn't really have anything to do with it, the reason the malls killed Hempstead is because people no longer had any reason to go to Hempstead. The whole thing is very typical, really, and was repeated without fail all over America's cities in the second half of the 20th century.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 AM

748 posts, read 2,886,994 times
Greenburgh, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says there are 6 villages and 6 hamlets in the town of Greenburgh. Edgemont, served by Scarsdale zip-code, is also a hamlet in the town of greensburgh.

I do not know enough about Mount Vernon to compare it to Hempstead.. but I did hear of Gang activities in mt. vernon many years ago. Have no idea if it lead to murders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Walter--I don't know what the unicorporated part of Greenburgh is called either as hamelt or a postal zone.

Also, I'd say Hempstead and MOunt Vernon are fairly equivalent.....

Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Edgemont, served by Scarsdale zip-code, is also a hamlet in the town of greensburgh.

The Hamlet of Greenville is colloquially known as "Edgemont" because it's in the Edgemont Union Free School District.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I do not know enough about Mount Vernon to compare it to Hempstead.. but I did hear of Gang activities in mt. vernon many years ago. Have no idea if it lead to murders.
Mount Vernon has more nice areas than Hempstead, at least it did the last time I was there regularly (around 2001/2002). It's also more urban & dense, much different layout.....but it's a pretty good comparison, I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island