Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 AM

12 posts, read 23,289 times

Advertisements

I would go with Petro.....I know you are going pay a little more but I have been hearing from my neighbors that a few switched over to Petro this past month since their company let them run out of oil and told them they could not get a technician out to them until the next day. Petro was out to all their homes within the hour. I guess this is where paying that extra pays off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcbigguns View Post
I would go with Petro.....I know you are going pay a little more but I have been hearing from my neighbors that a few switched over to Petro this past month since their company let them run out of oil and told them they could not get a technician out to them until the next day. Petro was out to all their homes within the hour. I guess this is where paying that extra pays off.
Agree. Petro will be a bit higher but the service is better.

I had Marran and switched to Petro after the following:

- air vent not covered under their "all-inclusive" service plan. Funny its covered under Petros. Had to pay $175 to have Marran fix it the first day I got my house and took over their service from the old owners.
Air vent had to be replaced again when after Petro took over, but it was covered under their plan...
- overfill on tank causing spill in basement
- spillage on ground near outside fill requiring them to come back 2x to clean it up
- waited 12 hours for service in the cold with no heat/hot water one winter when the burner wouldnt fire.

YMMV, but I havent had this since I've had Petro. Marran - 1 year and all those issues. Petro since 2008, no issues (other than air vent, fixed as part of service plan)

Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM

It also took me 4 months to get back my money from marran when I switched to Petro. They "insisted" on me coming back to them. When I said I'd sue them I got my check.

Also it took me to write "the president" of marran (with pictures) to have them clean the outside spill (about a quart).

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
There are COD companies that provide service you just have to check around and get referrals

Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
There are COD companies that provide service you just have to check around and get referrals

And you wait in line on the coldest night of the year when your boiler breaks for someone to come.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
And you wait in line on the coldest night of the year when your boiler breaks for someone to come.
Are you a shill for Petro? I would have thought better of those STAR Energy folks.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Are you a shill for Petro? I would have thought better of those STAR Energy folks.
So what cod company has good enough service that equals a full service oil company?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
No, but other than slightly higher prices Petro hasnt done anything wrong by me.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,689 times
Hi all, My Girl Friend and I just moved into a house in Shirley about 6 months ago. The Customer service rep at Petro suggested that we not lock into a price because it should be going down. As we all know the price is shooting through the roof and we are paying through the nose. Besides that little bit of bad advice Petro seems to be alright.

Mike in Shirley

Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

383 posts, read 664,546 times
We have Petro and have never had a problem with service. Their prices are higher than others. Our oil contract is up now but we might just not lock into a price with them at this time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island