U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,917,470 times

Advertisements

I had slommin for a 2 years. they installed my alarm and they charged me with a central monitoring system. well, after 2 years, they canceled my contract. I still have the alarm but no service to call me when it goes off.

now, my question is, it there another way of me keeping an eye on my system by being contacted? are there other alarm companies that can take the previous ones place? or, is there a way that it can be done say by my phone of computer, being that were so technologically advanced in todays world?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM

518 posts, read 1,720,241 times
im in the same situation and would like to know also. i bought the house with a slomins system, but its not active. and i dont want to pay them $40 a month.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,287,210 times
I had General Security and didn't care for their service when there were issues. They had one serviceman who was great at what he did -- so what did they do? Put him inside and off of service. When wen built an extension, I cancelled GS and had ADT come in. They had to put in their keypads, wireless, box, etc. The equipment was not interchangeable with GS. UGH.

They have been OK, but if I don't know if I would use them again as they are sluggish in replying to service calls and can't seem to permanently resolve an ongoing minor problem.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 AM

432 posts, read 1,512,842 times
Kenny, give ADT a call. They are willing to do anything for your business these days.
Keep in mind, the alarm company sign on your front lawn is the best deterrent. I know people who just have a sign and no alarm in their house. If they are coming in, their coming in. An alarm will not stop them.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM

94 posts, read 238,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I had slommin for a 2 years. they installed my alarm and they charged me with a central monitoring system. well, after 2 years, they canceled my contract. I still have the alarm but no service to call me when it goes off.

now, my question is, it there another way of me keeping an eye on my system by being contacted? are there other alarm companies that can take the previous ones place? or, is there a way that it can be done say by my phone of computer, being that were so technologically advanced in todays world?

Kenny,

Im in IT and this is what i was looking for, so I went with OCCUSAFE they are powered by Alarm.com. Great service cheap rates. Go to Safemart.com and you can get a system that will send you text messages, call you and be activated/Deactivated anywhere there is an internet connection. If I forget to arm my system when I leave, I just activate it via my Blackberry.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 AM

4,445 posts, read 7,721,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post

Did they give you a reason why? After all they're getting money from you, so its kind of weird that they'd drop you. Only thing I can think of is that your system is working fine and nothing breaks requiring them to make a service call and charge you for parts and labor.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 32,287,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
Kenny, give ADT a call. They are willing to do anything for your business these days.
Keep in mind, the alarm company sign on your front lawn is the best deterrent. I know people who just have a sign and no alarm in their house. If they are coming in, their coming in. An alarm will not stop them.
I failed to mention that I also use ADT for one of my shops. The equipment is no longer under warranty as it has been a number of years. Their repair rates are insane -- almost $400 if they are there for an hour. Needless to say, their technicians move about as though they have a load of bricks in their pants.

It is very nice to have a system for piece of mind -- no argument there. ADT is good about contacting you if you have a low battery signal.

BUT don't do paperless billing. I was having a problem receiving my bills via email. Did everything needed to rectify it (placed email on the OK list, made certain they had my email address entered correctly) but still the email wouldn't arrive. I would call, ask to be switched to paper billing and would be told the same thing -- go through the paperless bill to the account and adjust the settings. UGH! I know it was a computer glitch, but it was frustrating explaining time and again.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 AM

9,463 posts, read 14,353,904 times
my alarm guy can reactivate it for you and hook onto his central station (based in Suffolk). When I moved into this house, that's what he did for the existing system. I've been happy with them, especially for ~$12/mo. I get a call to the house right away when the alarm is triggered and if nobody answers or I give the wrong password, the cops are called. Private message me if you want his info.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Kenny,

Im in IT and this is what i was looking for, so I went with OCCUSAFE they are powered by Alarm.com. Great service cheap rates. Go to Safemart.com and you can get a system that will send you text messages, call you and be activated/Deactivated anywhere there is an internet connection. If I forget to arm my system when I leave, I just activate it via my Blackberry.
how much are they monthly? do they use the previous alarm companies system?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
my alarm guy can reactivate it for you and hook onto his central station (based in Suffolk). When I moved into this house, that's what he did for the existing system. I've been happy with them, especially for ~$12/mo. I get a call to the house right away when the alarm is triggered and if nobody answers or I give the wrong password, the cops are called. Private message me if you want his info.
thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island