Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times

Advertisements

Long Island Press has alot of stuff that Newsday has. This monopoly Cablevision has on local news is ridiculous. LI Press is the best alternative. As far as Fios 1 news is concerned, thats the only dissapointment with Fios. I was really hoping Verizon would step up their game with local news, they are heavy promoting it but need to cut out the garbage and become 24/7 news. Too much other stuff, no news weekends, and infomercials after midnight aren't going to get folks to give up News 12. Starting with getting their own studios on LI and ditching renting RNN's Westchester studios.
Long Island Press needs to become a daily paper though. LI seems to be lacking compared to other NY metro areas with news outlets.
Still Fios is way better than cable. Hopefully with time Verizon will step up their game with news.
It may be less convienent, but you can find everything covered on News 12 or Newsday in LI Press, TV55 news, and NYC newscasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:49 PM

335 posts, read 935,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Would anyone ever considering paying that? Their site redesign is awful, why don't they just put some ads on the pages instead of charging $250/year to read their poorly report stories?

Is anyone going to actually pay for this?
Newsday should win the Award for the most pathetic and amaturish website re-design in history.....it is the worst website I have EVER seen.....what a complete laughable joke!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,636 times
With any of the moronic Dolan's involved, the website is a reflection of their incompetence. Funny thing is, there are still enough stupid people on LI who will pay for whatever and not complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
Newsday should win the Award for the most pathetic and amaturish website re-design in history.....it is the worst website I have EVER seen.....what a complete laughable joke!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM

99 posts, read 272,603 times
Newsday is horrible, and now a days has nothing more than stories about police reports (bad ones at that that are uninformative) . The website is crappy and does not work in all browsers. The "news" that is actually decent is AP reoprts that are available everywhere else anyway. The writing is horrible, and now they are becoming more and more like daily news/ny post every day with headlines that say crap like "Guv". If ny times wanted $5 a week, I would do it, but I would never pay even a quarter a week to see this site.

Here's an example story from yesterday: Headline: "Suspect sought who used stolen credit card in Coram

and from the article: The police said in a Friday news release that the suspect withdrew more than $400 from the store, but the release did not say whether he used the card to get the money from an ATM or at the store counter. Police also did not specify whether the card was used as a credit card, requiring a signature, or as a debit card, requiring a password.

Umm, ok. First off how is this newsworthy? Second, headline states stolen credit card, and it is not known if this is a credit card, a bank card where someone used atm to take out money, or a debit card! Meaningless and misleading.

I have cablevision, but FIOS is wiring up my town right now and I cant wait. I am sick of the lack of HD channels, this crappy box, and the low quality of the HD. Newsday and News 12? You can have them, it is shocking we have such amateur news organizations for nearly 4 million people! My local town papers are better written and more relevant anyway.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,944 times
So long, Newsday!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,843 times
their other website... exploreli.com was also recently redone, and sucks as bad as the newsday site...

explore li used to be pretty good... i'd check there if i was looking for something to do in the weekend... i got on there yesterday and got frustrated after trying to do a search for 15 minutes that kept hanging up or not searching along the perameters i put in...

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
their other website... exploreli.com was also recently redone, and sucks as bad as the newsday site...

explore li used to be pretty good... i'd check there if i was looking for something to do in the weekend... i got on there yesterday and got frustrated after trying to do a search for 15 minutes that kept hanging up or not searching along the perameters i put in...
I just went on there as I haven't been there in a long time. What the heck did they do to that site? Its unusable. You're right, it takes forever to search for anything.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
FYI, I was looking on the News12 website today for a story, and you have to be a cablevision customer and login to view. I canceled Cablevision about 5 months ago.

My old optonline email address/password still worked and I was able to login and view the site.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
I haven't read Newsday in years and I sure as hell would never pay for its mediocre content. It has to be one of the worst daily papers ever created, sadder still that it's Long Island's only option for printed local news.

I can't wait until the day comes when Newsday folds. It must be bankrupt by now.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Would anyone ever considering paying that? Their site redesign is awful, why don't they just put some ads on the pages instead of charging $250/year to read their poorly report stories?

Is anyone going to actually pay for this?
I wouldn't. I'm a writer (freelance, not for Newsday) and I can't stand their site design either. It's an eyesore. Also, the search option isn't very helpful. Trying to get around the archives is like pulling teeth.

As for their reporting, there's a lot of material on the site that is better suited for a supermarket check-out tabloid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island