Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Only for the public and if your RE puts you on Listingbook, you can continue to see what is happening to the property.
Not entirely true on the removal from mlsli from the public. There have been many times that I have sat at the computer and on mlsli and call the listing realtor about a house and they tell me its under contract, meanwhile I'm staring at the dang thing online. This happens more frequently than you think. And its not coming from one real estate office, it happens with different ones. This in itself is very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 AM

335 posts, read 935,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
How can you tell for sure if a house has an offer and its not just a trick to get you to offer more? I'm not asking for a specific house, I'm asking in general.
Yes...could be true there are offers on it - - but most are likely "severe" low-balls that are probably not even being considered at this point since the house is still being shown. So, take a look at the house, and if you like it put an offer down on it what you would be willing to pay....you shouldnt care about other offers as there are always other houses.

Remember, this is still a serious Buyers Market no matter how much Government propping up/intervention there is.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I looked at a foreclosure a few months ago. The house was pretty much gutted. The RE agent said, "I have several full asking offers". I laughed. My wife laughed. The agent grimmaced. Of course, the house is still sitting there.

you could think that, but you could be wrong about the house.

for 1, some banks move slowly on anything. the offers can sit on someones desk for a month without blinking. They may hold off for a higher offer. A lot of true bank owned houses that are in bad shape can be listed low and the "winning" offer is over list. If its a short sale, etc there can be issues with the second leinholders.

I guess my point is, a house isn't sold until its sold, and there are plenty of good reasons in todays market why something is still "listed" but there are accepted offers.

When my house was being shown, for the first two weeks, although I had an offer on the table, we had the house shown, and really no mention of the offer in order to not scare away potential buyers. 1st offer was low, second, and third offers were more in line. An offer might not mean a good offer, either on price or terms.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Quote:
Not entirely true on the removal from mlsli from the public. There have been many times that I have sat at the computer and on mlsli and call the listing realtor about a house and they tell me its under contract, meanwhile I'm staring at the dang thing online. This happens more frequently than you think. And its not coming from one real estate office, it happens with different ones. This in itself is very frustrating.
Brokers are required by mls rules to promptly update the status of a listing. Once a listing is under contract it should no longer appear on mlsli.com. There are agents, however, that drag their feet so that they can get more buyer leads from the listing, even if the home is already in contract.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I think if you make an offer, and the realitor gets back to you, the house never had an offer on it!
I called a RE agent Sunday to ssee a house and was told there are several offers on it, so I said "Thanks" and went to hang up. She stopped me and asked if I want to see the house. I said, "Why? You have offers"
She stammered and tried backtalking. I mean, if you're gonna lie, at least get good at it.
She may have been just being honest with you. Just because there are seveal offers does not mean that any of them have been accepted.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
She may have been just being honest with you. Just because there are seveal offers does not mean that any of them have been accepted.
Or maybe she's just lying. We went to an open house when rainy cruddy Saturday and no one was around. We just got there as the open house started and the RE told us they already had 3 couples visit and all gave offers above asking price. Um yeah sure. You just opened the house, I just saw you do that. I just didn't realize that all 3 couples had their invisibility cloaks on. Where can I get one of those?

I think its more the fact that some RE's think that Joe Public is as dumb as nails.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Or maybe she's just lying. We went to an open house when rainy cruddy Saturday and no one was around. We just got there as the open house started and the RE told us they already had 3 couples visit and all gave offers above asking price. Um yeah sure. You just opened the house, I just saw you do that. I just didn't realize that all 3 couples had their invisibility cloaks on. Where can I get one of those?
Bobs, you never heard of Ninjas shopping for homes in their invisibility cloaks? They need somewhere to live too!

Quote:
I think its more the fact that some RE's think that Joe Public is as dumb as nails.
Do you think they are genetically connected to politicians?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 AM

131 posts, read 610,152 times
I had a similar situation and felt both agents were working against me since the agent I was dealing with was not a buyers agent. I made an offer and within 5 min he called back and said the offer was refused. I could not believe that he made the offer to the other agent, the agent contacted the owner, refused the offer and back to me in 5 minutes.

I went to his office and asked him there to contact the other agent with me there as well on speakerphone. He did and he was right. I know it was a silly thing to do but I wanted to be sure that my offers were in fact getting to the owner.

I ended up buying the house and bought a few other homes via this real estate agent. After he put up with my BS, I've been loyal to him. It comes down to finding a real estate agent you can trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island