Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:37 PM

52 posts, read 249,562 times

Advertisements

We put a bid on isn't too far from the old landfill in East Northport. I love the house but now I'm starting to get concerned about living near an old landfill and the Covanta Resource Recovery Facility.

I know the landfill has been closed for about 20 years but I'm just wondering if I should have second thoughts about buying this house. As you drive down the street this house is on you can see the white stack from the Covanta plant which I don't particularly like. I'm begining to question whether this is a good move or if I'll regret buying this house.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 PM

42 posts, read 143,538 times
Some years back they discovered a plume that runs northeast from there and has contaminated the groundwater under the houses by Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd in Smithtown. I think being in sight of the stack belching smoke will affect the number of people you'll be able sell to if you ever decide to move.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM

465 posts, read 1,701,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzfish View Post
Some years back they discovered a plume that runs northeast from there and has contaminated the groundwater under the houses by Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd in Smithtown. I think being in sight of the stack belching smoke will affect the number of people you'll be able sell to if you ever decide to move.
Any additional information on this plume? We are looking in this area.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM

I found the results of the study they did that discusses the plume etc.... it did contaminate groundwater but only really had an affect on the people that still used well water back then. They remedied the situation by connecting all those homes that were affected into the public water system. Here's a link to the report

ATSDR - PHA - Huntington Landfill (a/k/a Huntington Town Landfill), Huntington, Suffolk County, New York

Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 PM

42 posts, read 143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
Any additional information on this plume? We are looking in this area.
Here's a link with the info
ATSDR - PHA - Huntington Landfill (a/k/a Huntington Town Landfill), Huntington, Suffolk County, New York
It looks like the last of the affected homes were connected to a public water supply in 1996.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,720,192 times
A few years back, I heard about some residents of that area complaining about odor from the plant. However, to be fair, I have not heard anything like that recently.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 AM

827 posts, read 3,082,167 times
I'm just wondering...I am closing on a house in Kings Park between Old Commack Road, Pulaski Road, Indian Head Road and Old Northport Road. Is this the landfill which is located on Old Northport Road near Old Commack Road? If so, I'm a little worried now. If it's not the one that the OP is speaking about, can anyone tell me anything about the site on Old Northport Road and Old Commack Road?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I'm just wondering...I am closing on a house in Kings Park between Old Commack Road, Pulaski Road, Indian Head Road and Old Northport Road. Is this the landfill which is located on Old Northport Road near Old Commack Road? If so, I'm a little worried now. If it's not the one that the OP is speaking about, can anyone tell me anything about the site on Old Northport Road and Old Commack Road?

This is not the same landfill. The one you're referring to is the Smithtown Landfill and I was referring to the Huntington Landfill. I would just google "Smithtown Landfill" or "Landfill on Old Northport Road" and see what you can find.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
... can anyone tell me anything about the site on Old Northport Road and Old Commack Road?

According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, located on Old Northport Road, the Smithtown Landfill is in Commack ("Kings Park, NY 11754" mailing address).

A map of the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington and the Town of Smithtown, Suffolk County:

Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,720,192 times
Like most towns, Huntington and Smithtown each located their landfills on the very edge of town. That's why they are right next to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island