Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

I follow everyone around the house turning off lights and TV's.
I then go around and unplug all my wife's Glade Plug-In air fresheners and night lite thingys. She then plugs them back in. Then I go around the house turning off the lights behind everybody again. And the TV's. Again.
Repeat process over and over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
I used to use candles and a wind up t.v. back on the Island. It wasn't until I moved that the kids discovered what electricity and a light bulb were.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Its been my first year in the house. I have a small 1600 sqft colonial. Oil heat (approx $150 per month averaged) and approx $90 per month for LIPA.
3 tv's 3 computers, electric cooking and washer/dryer.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:39 PM

65 posts, read 192,717 times
From reading what people are paying for their LIPA bill is scaring the heck out of me. I recently purchased a 3 bedrooms 3 full baths colonial with finished basement and attic. It's being renovated now and I haven't move in yet. I got the bill last week and it was like $92 from 10/1-10/20. I do have the refrigerator and the dehumidifier running at all times. The contractor also used power tools during the renovation which might have consumed some energy. I can't imagine what the bill would be like after I move in. From what I gathered, the average LIPA bill is around $200 and probably another few hundred for the oil heating. My family is buying us new washer and dryer as move-in gifts. I have an electric dryer now but I’ll probably switch to a gas dryer instead. The basement is gas ready.

I got spoiled living in a co-op apartment where the electricity is already included in the monthly maintenance bill regardless of usage. Each AC unit is extra though. I’ll have to come up with an energy saving plan to cut down the cost for the house. I used to leave the computer on at all time but I’ll have to turn it off when it’s not being used. I did swap out the old bulbs with the florescent bulbs but a few light fixtures can’t use energy saving bulbs. I’ll have to think of something.

Do you guys have any good energy saving tips beside the usual thing (turning lights off, use fans during summer, shut off/unplug all appliances when not use, etc?)

Old 11-04-2010, 07:40 PM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post

I got spoiled living in a co-op apartment where the electricity is already included in the monthly maintenance bill regardless of usage. Each AC unit is extra though. I’ll have to come up with an energy saving plan to cut down the cost for the house. I used to leave the computer on at all time but I’ll have to turn it off when it’s not being used. I did swap out the old bulbs with the florescent bulbs but a few light fixtures can’t use energy saving bulbs. I’ll have to think of something.

Do you guys have any good energy saving tips beside the usual thing (turning lights off, use fans during summer, shut off/unplug all appliances when not use, etc?)
me too! I'm buying a home (closing in 2 weeks) , we are coming from a coop. I'm not worried about mortgage, I'm losing sleep over oil and electric charges

Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I follow everyone around the house turning off lights and TV's.
I then go around and unplug all my wife's Glade Plug-In air fresheners and night lite thingys. She then plugs them back in. Then I go around the house turning off the lights behind everybody again. And the TV's. Again.
Repeat process over and over...
Wow! Sounds familiar!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM

I'm actually considering moving into a co-op/condo.
This homeowner crap is killing me. Too much stuff to maintain.
My wife wants to beat me. We keep moving every few years.
First it was to upgrade to larger homes, now I'm looking to downsize.
She is not thrilled at all about moving out of state, she's just very nervous and afraid to leave family and all that crap. I gave her 2 options...move outa NY or downsize, so the downsize is her preference so far, or the lesser of the 2 evils. I just can't and wont continue to get financially raped by NY anymore, it's getting real old, fast.
Every time I make better money, my expenses go up even more.
I just can't win, I'm stuck in this fishbowl.

And now LIPA is talking another rate increase.
How stupid can people be?
Everyone knows we're in a recession and many people are just barely gettin by, if at all, and these idiots keep raising rates, and the stupid property taxes, etc...
It's just plain dumb.
There is no common sense or logic anymore.
I was talking to a LIPA guy just last week and he said the turn-offs are out of control. People just can't afford this crap anymore and are not paying.

It's really getting to be a pain in the ass. This whole routine I gotta go through to save maybe 10 or 15 bucks a month. Turning stuff on/off as needed, opening all the blinds during the day, closing them at night, not turning on the heat until mid November, not using a/c until I can fry an egg on my kitchen floor, it's just ridiculous and no way to be living. And my family acts like I'm Hitler with all the energy conservation rules, and I can understand to a certain degree, but I'm not rolling in the dough, I gotta pay all this stuff.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM

65 posts, read 192,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm actually considering moving into a co-op/condo.
If you live in a condo, you still have to pay for electricity, heat, water, gas and property tax. There may be some exceptions where some of the utilities are included in the monthly maintenance. However, people living in a condo would usually use less energy.

As for co-ops, you never actually own the property but you're only a "stock holder." My co-op actually includes all utilities except for telephone. I don't have to worry about turning the lights and other electronics off right after usage.

I'd never buy another co-op if I can manage to buy a condo. Someone may think otherwise but that's just my opinion.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM

I actually owned a co-op before. It was my first purchase.
I would've stayed there longer, but we ended up having our second child and wanted to upgrade to a house. American dream crap.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post
From reading what people are paying for their LIPA bill is scaring the heck out of me. I recently purchased a 3 bedrooms 3 full baths colonial with finished basement and attic. It's being renovated now and I haven't move in yet. I got the bill last week and it was like $92 from 10/1-10/20. I do have the refrigerator and the dehumidifier running at all times. The contractor also used power tools during the renovation which might have consumed some energy. I can't imagine what the bill would be like after I move in. From what I gathered, the average LIPA bill is around $200 and probably another few hundred for the oil heating. My family is buying us new washer and dryer as move-in gifts. I have an electric dryer now but I’ll probably switch to a gas dryer instead. The basement is gas ready.

if possible and I know it is late for this but hang your clothes outside instead of the dryer or hang them inside in a spare room ..you would be surprised how much you can save by doing that and if the clothes are stiff you can put them in the dryer for a short spin to soften them up ...just a thought ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island