Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan23 View Post
"The source on old country road". Is that in Mineola.
The Source is in the Hamlet of East Garden City ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address) in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.

Quote:
Is Long Beach far from the LIRR."
The LIRR has a branch that terminates in the City of Long Beach, Nassau County.

Quote:
Is Suffolk close to the LIRR.
Suffolk is Suffolk County, and is to the immediate east of Nassau County; and, you can see by the LIRR map (link posted in my prior comment) that the LIRR runs into Suffolk County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
"The source" is a mall on old country road. I think you are referring to Meadowbrook Pointe

Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I think you are referring to Meadowbrook Pointe

Located at 1100 Corporate Drive, Meadowbrook Pointe is in the Hamlet of East Garden City ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address) in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Susan, are you looking for a living assisted facility, a nursing home, or 55+ retirement community like a Century Village type of place?

The LIRR does go to Long Beach. The ride from the Long Beach station to Manhattan is about 60 minutes. The LIRR is available in Suffolk County, but you must realize that Suffolk County is a large geographic area and the practicality of a daily commute to Manhattan depends where you want to live.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM

57 posts, read 166,581 times
Meadowbrook Pointe is housing for seniors--it does not seem to be a skilled nursing community. you said you need a nursing home. a nursing home is defined as a place where "patients" are under 24 hour skilled nursing care. if your aunt doesn't required 24 hour skilled nursing care, then you can choose between senior housing and assisted living. if your aunt needs no care whatsoever (ie can take her own meds and make her own nutritious meals), then you can look at places like meadowbrook pointe. if, like many other elderly people, your aunt needs a little support but doesn't need round-the-clock care by registered nurses, then there are a number of assisted living facilities on Long Island. At assisted living, all meals are provided and then they do your laundry and light housekeeping. For an additional charge, they will also monitor medications, help with hygiene and provide other services. here's a list of those such facilities on Long Island. Assisted Living Facilities on Long Island, NY - Citidex Long Island I hope this is helpful.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,288 times
I am looking for a place for my mother who is 83 and myself 55 and also a nursing facility for my aunt who is 87. Not sure what neighborhood to go to, as long as I have transportation to Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Susan, are you looking for a living assisted facility, a nursing home, or 55+ retirement community like a Century Village type of place?

The LIRR does go to Long Beach. The ride from the Long Beach station to Manhattan is about 60 minutes. The LIRR is available in Suffolk County, but you must realize that Suffolk County is a large geographic area and the practicality of a daily commute to Manhattan depends where you want to live.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
So in other words, you would like to share some place with your mother, perhaps a 55+ community and would like your aunt to be placed in a nursing facility where there is 24 hour care. There are certainly many nursing facilities in Long Beach and LB has transportation to Manhattan. Are you saying that when you work, you can leave your mother on her own without assistance until you get home? You should also look into the fees for nursing facilities. They are rather steep unless your aunt is on medicaid.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM

ok, so since your aunt needs a nursing home, i would first pick the best facility for your aunt's needs. see this Web site Long Term Nursing Care or Short Term Rehabilitation in Long Island, New York My recommendation is that once you pick your aunt's nursing home, you look at affordable housing options for you and mother. generally, you can easily commute from anywhere to nassau county to Manhattan so I think you shouldn't have a problem finding a suitable living situation.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM

44 posts, read 178,622 times
Long Beach is not a good commute. The Source on old country Rd is Located in Westbury/Carle place area. not Mineola. These areas are not very affordable. as with most of Nassau county. I would suggest Babylon in Suffolk, which has an express train to the city, that takes 1 hour. There are assisted living facilities, senior rentals, and other senior communities near by.( WEst Babylon and North Babylon)

Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM

fyi the cheapest assisted living facility, based upon my research, is somerset gardens in plainview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island