Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times

Advertisements

I_Love_LI_But

I know you don't like it when people are extreme with their pets (ie. the diamond collars). The problem I have is that I don't know very many people that treat pets...well like pets.

They almost all live inside the house, even though they are bred to be outdoor creatures. They are mostly allowed free reign in the house, crawling and running rampant all over the place. They often sleep in the same bed as people. People plan their lives, trips, etc. completely around the animals. People will take out loans just to pay for ridiculous vet treatments, even though it will crush the family financially.

To me...all of that is extreme. Therein lies the difference in our thinking.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:54 PM

54 posts, read 137,869 times
I didn't know there are rules to treating animals like pets! Domestic Dogs and cats are NOT bred to live outside. They have been domesticated and most would not even survive in the outdoors. People want to spend money on their pets because they are loyal and wonderful companions. Responsible Pet Owners do plan their schedules around their pet's needs. If you do not have a conscience do not own a pet. If spending money to save a beloved pet upsets you don't adopt a cat or dog. They deserve the best lives possible that we can afford.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Exactly, pets are not for everyone, and that's part of the issue.
It is a big responsibilty.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Exactly, pets are not for everyone, and that's part of the issue.
It is a big responsibilty.

some people cant take any responsibilty.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I_Love_LI_But

I know you don't like it when people are extreme with their pets (ie. the diamond collars). The problem I have is that I don't know very many people that treat pets...well like pets.

They almost all live inside the house, even though they are bred to be outdoor creatures. They are mostly allowed free reign in the house, crawling and running rampant all over the place. They often sleep in the same bed as people.
People plan their lives, trips, etc. completely around the animals. People will take out loans just to pay for ridiculous vet treatments, even though it will crush the family financially.

To me...all of that is extreme. Therein lies the difference in our thinking.
Did you grow up in America?

Seriously, the last person who told me stuff like that grew up in Jamaica and said all the animals (including typical pets like dogs and cats) had to live outside the house in a fenced yard back home. However, even she did agree that due to the cold weather here, pets could not live outside like they did in Jamaica.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Actually, most dogs were bred to be outside...as worker dogs, farming dogs, hunting dogs. It is modern day society that forces them inside. Some would argue that it is cruel to keep dogs inside because it is against their nature.

Cats on the other hand are more indoor creatures, although many breeds can live outside depending on temperature.

It's one thing to have your pet in the garage or basement. It's another to have it in bed with you, licking your face as you wake up. Ugh.

Admittedly, I'm not a pet person. To be honest, it cost me a lot of really hot potential girlfriends LOL But, in the end, I found a pet neutral woman who can live without them

Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
LOL...Gpsma..so true.

I know many good people that try really hard to keep their homes clean, even with pets there. But, you can never escape the smell, the hair, and all the other fun that comes with having the pet all over your stuff.

Don't you love when you visit a friend and their dog comes up running to jump all over you at the door. There's nothing like getting your crotch sniffed by a strange animal and having their paws all over you.

I've also never understood people that kiss dogs and cats. Here's a newsflash..they lick their genitals to clean them..you might not want to do that LOL
their mouths are still 10 times cleaner than a human's.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Thread is closed apparently there is nothing more to discuss regarding the original topic since the thread has gone so far off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island