Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times

Advertisements

This is sick and disturbing, but I think we have bigger problems on LI and in the country beyond an isolated case of pet torture.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
This is sick and disturbing, but I think we have bigger problems on LI and in the country beyond an isolated case of pet torture.
So none of us should care about this also?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Default I emailed Spota and cc'd Levy (text reproduced below)

Anybody else who thinks it is an outrage that she is only charged with a misdemeanor, got off with no bail (ROR), and still has her minor children, please write them also!

infoda @ co .suffolk .ny .us

county. executive @ suffolkcountyny .gov

What I wrote:

How come all she is being charged with is a misdemeanor and she got no bail, but rather ROR?

How come there is no mention in the media of her MINOR CHILDREN being taken away from her?

As per Newsday:

A Selden woman whose backyard contained the buried carcasses of nearly two dozen dogs pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor animal cruelty charge Sunday, as her son told reporters she forced her children to torture the pets.

Sharon McDonough, wearing a black sweatshirt and track pants, said little during her brief appearance in District Court in Central Islip Sunday. Judge Stephen Behar released her on her own recognizance. She is due back in court Tuesday.

Behar said McDonough "has never been in trouble before."

This woman is an evil psychopath and it looks like you are going to let her off with a slap on the wrist. Don't be fooled by her appearance of a "poor widow." Her actions speak for themselves.

Here's a tip: you should investigate MISSING kids and adults that knew her or lived near her. Serial killers start off with torturing and killing animals and then graduate completely to humans or some continue to torture and kill animals during their serial killing career. This person is 43 years old. She's been at this for awhile. As for the judge's comment that she has never been in trouble before: she just hadn't been caught yet!!

Please enforce the law to the fullest of your ability!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:08 AM

Default Newsday Reporter Answered My Email

I wrote simply asking if the minor children had been taken away from her.

Here is his reply:

I am wondering the same thing. Are you a neighbor of the family? We'd like to know more about what was going on over there.

Call if interested.

Patrick Whittle
Newsday

Why haven't they been taken away?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
You seem to be overly emotional about this issue. I certainly do not want to sweep this under the rug. The woman has done wrong. However, we should not consider animals in the same light as humans.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You seem to be overly emotional about this issue. I certainly do not want to sweep this under the rug. The woman has done wrong. However, we should not consider animals in the same light as humans.
Is everyone else who expressed disgust and horror at this on this thread overly emotional OR are you just making personal attacks on me?

Because I don't see you quoting everyone else on here (some with much stronger words against the animal abuser than I) and belittling them as "overly emotional."

If you, personally, think this topic is of little importance, then perhaps you personally should not harass those who do think it is important and refrain from condemning the subject as if it does not even DESERVE a thread for those who deem it important to discuss it under. For instance, I am certainly not going into discussions about sports I don't like and telling them, "This doesn't matter at all in the world and you shouldn't be posting about it."

Because, let me tell you something, many a "hostile newcomer" has tried to get the best of me, but I always win a battle of wits against those who are poorly armed and they tuck their tails between their legs and scurry off, so to speak. If you are only posting on here to pick fights with me instead of discuss the topic of the thread with the respect that it deserves to have, go away and stop playing games because you will LOSE. I have several former "self-appointed enemies" in the graveyard of "Not a Member" ... they tend to shoot themselves in the foot.

I took actions on the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD and reported exactly what actions I took.

What is so wrong with this? What is so inappropriate about this?

Suggesting that we replace the topic at hand, which happened on LI, with one which happened in Texas fits the bill with trying to "sweep it under the rug."

The "woman has done wrong?" Now you say that but the tone of your previous post was on the order of WHO CARES, she's not so bad, why should this even make the news, it doesn't matter. Do you think we are that stupid we can't judge the tenor of what you are saying the first time?

Some of us DO consider our pets our family. We know they are not humans, but they are sentient beings and they suffer just like us.

Here's some more quotes from others you and those who are similarly callous and indifferent would have to consider overemotional:

People have got to understand that the commandment "Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you" applies to animals, plants and things, as well as to people. And that if it is regarded as applying only to people . . . then the animals, plants and things will, in one way or another, do as badly by man as man has done by them.
Aldous Leonard Huxley

Animals possess a soul and men must love and feel solidarity with our smaller brethren.
Pope John Paul II

But if we stop loving animals, aren't we bound to stop loving humans too?
Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The indifference, callousness and contempt that so many people exhibit toward animals is evil first because it results in great suffering in animals, and second because it results in an incalculably great impoverishment of the human spirit. All education should be directed toward the refinement of the individual's sensibilities in relation not only to one's fellow humans everywhere, but to all things whatsoever.
Ashley Montague

We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace.
Albert Schweitzer

We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
Immanual Kant

Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!
Theophile Gautier

You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself.
Josh Billings

God made all the creatures and gave them our love and our fear,
To give sign, we and they are His children, one family here.

Robert Browning

If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.
James Herriot

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.
St. Francis of Assisi

Because the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account?
Jean Paul Richter

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mahatma Gandhi

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.
Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-09-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
I Love LI But,

To be fair, for those of us that aren't pet lovers, this topic is not going to hit us as hard as others. I think these complaints arise out of frustration over the direction that pets have taken in our society.

The pet industry has become a billion dollar money making machine. Pets have been elevated so high in society that they reach quasi worship levels. The result is that some people even contemplate physical retaliation against humans if there is pet abuse. The abuse is horrible, but let's not get carried away.

The frustration at the role of pets in our society probably manifests itself into comments that could be perceived as insensitive. However, I think the overly prominent role of pets in our culture should be up for debate.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Quote:
I Love LI But,

To be fair, for those of us that aren't pet lovers, this topic is not going to hit us as hard as others. I think these complaints arise out of frustration over the direction that pets have taken in our society.

The pet industry has become a billion dollar money making machine. Pets have been elevated so high in society that they reach quasi worship levels. The result is that some people even contemplate physical retaliation against humans if there is pet abuse. The abuse is horrible, but let's not get carried away.

The frustration at the role of pets in our society probably manifests itself into comments that could be perceived as insensitive. However, I think the overly prominent role of pets in our culture should be up for debate.
Well I've had someone hang my dog, and I more than contemplated physical retaliation. People who choose to abuse animals are sick in the head, period. Like I've said previously this woman should have her children taken away from her. If she feels that hunting and torturing neighborhood pets is ok she is clearly an unfit mother. Nevermind that she has taught her children that this is ok. She is a person who has no real respect for life not to mention that she delights in taking it from defenseless pets slowly and painfully.

Also they've drawn corelations to animal abusers and serial killers so do we wait a while and see if the 21y/o has a head in the fridge?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I Love LI But,

Actually, pets are not elevated as highly as you might think in our culture. They are still tortured and killed regularly in horrendous ways and the laws are not keeping up with it. I don't advocate the "death penalty" for killing a pet, but I certainly don't think this case only merits a misdemeanor. Please see some of the websites dedicated to stopping animal abuse and you will see that while a few pets out there are pampered beyond belief, way too many live short lives of misery. Maybe in Garden City you see them with bejeweled collars, etc., but most companion animals in the USA are not living that lifestyle.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
I Love LI But,

As a pet owner I found this crime disgusting. Do I place it above the tragedy at Fort Hood? Certainly not as Ft Hood is indicative of yet another threat we have on our own soil.

I have friends in research who use animals and they are very heavily supervised on multiple levels from local to federal. I have friends who are on the other side of the coin who won't eat or wear anything animal. Then there's a cadre of people I am friendly with who raise guide dogs, service dogs and therapy animals. These animals do play a prominent role in everyday life for many differently abled people and, IMHO, do deserve respect.

In my other post I wrote (and feel) that the crime at hand is heinous and deserving of outcry because the individual perpetrating it could very well be on the path to serial killer. The woman is a sociopath. The harm she inflicted upon innocent creatures, using her children as accomplices, is disturbing.

This is a multi-layered issue: animal abuse, child abuse, and a sociopath allowed to remain free because she hasn't been in trouble with the law. At least that's how I am seeing it. This isn't just about Fido.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island