Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
LOL!!Great post hotkarl!

Too bad you can't add a poll within a thread...
How many pages will this go on?

hotkarl's post left me laughing

I'm adding to your post to see if we can't get this to page 30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:15 AM

14 posts, read 34,154 times
Island Trees is should be on the above average lists, in addition, their robotics program win the LI competition every year. BTW Jericho has high test scores and is listed as one of the top LI schools each year, but ship their lower scoring students( ie Sp Ed population) out of district as an astounding rate of 7 percent, talk about smoking mirrors, you have to read between the lines. I believe a good school should have well rounded course offerings, an array of clubs and activities, dynamic educators, happy and motivated students and good test scores, and that what Island Trees schools have.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 AM

151 posts, read 367,432 times
You do realize that you've revived a two year old thread right? These numbers surely have changed somewhat by now

Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 34,154 times
I'm new and learning, thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
The thread is old, and the OP's list is apparently based on nothing other than their own perception. Connetquot doesn't appear on the list, Sayville is "average" and Sachem North and East, which perform almost identically in stats, are classified one above the other...based on what?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM

17 posts, read 198,474 times
It isn't just the school, it's the level of parents involvement and the kids willingness to put in the effort that spells success. My kid went to one of the listed above average schools and had a few excellent teachers, many average ones and some truly poor ones - who should have been let go but who were protected by tenure and the teachers union (of which I am not a fan). The kid made an Ivy league college, but it took a lot of effort on the kid's part, studying outside books to cover certain subjects that had been sloppily taught and taking SAT subject tests on his own to prove he knew the work. Once in college he found he was way behind many other students math-wise as their schools had offered more advanced courses starting in 8th grade. He caught up with them but was annoyed to find himself in that position.

Parents need to push their school boards to offer more and higher level math and science courses. This country in general is way behind the ball on those.

I am also mentoring another kid through college who graduated from the same high school. This kid came from a very disadvantaged background - parent died, extreme poverty, unheated home, her family was even homeless at one time - and she had no one to speak up for her. She slipped through every crack the "above average" school had and has had to make up lots of lost ground with tutoring in basic math and grammar after graduation which my husband and I have been paying for. She was a classic case of "social promotion". Exactly what President Obama has talked about as being such a problem in American schools. She was simply pushed into the next grade because of her age, not because she had mastered the work - and there others just like her there, too. She was finally tossed into Special Ed even though she's smart. The school simply did not want to waste time and money on helping her succeed when it could shunt her aside more cheaply.

I brought her back to speak with the superintendent who when she heard the kid's story was quite upset and apologized to the girl, but the damage had been done. The point of the story is that kids need someone on their side all the way through school, if they are to succeed anywhere. No matter a school's ranking.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Can this recently necromanced thread break 31 pages? Please stay tuned!
And now a word from our Sponsor: NYSUT

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
give me gifted programs or give me death!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
give me gifted programs or give me death!
But...but...they're all special snowflakes!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
Public Schools
Exceptional
Cold Spring Harbor, Garden City, Great Neck North, Great Neck South, Herricks, Jericho, Locust Valley, Manhasset, Roslyn, Schreiber, South Side, Syosset, Vandermuelen, Wheatley

Very Good
Bethpage, Calhoun, Floral Park, George W. Hewlett, Half Hollow Hills East, Harborfields, Hauppauge, Kennedy, Mattituck, Mepham, Miller Place, New Hyde Park, North Shore, Oceanside, Oyster Bay, Plainview-Old Bethpage, Valley Stream North, Valley Stream South

Above Average
Carle Place, Commack, Easthampton, Half Hollow Hills West, Huntington, Lynbrook, Macarthur, Massapequa, Mineola, Northport, Pierson, Sachem North, Southampton, Valley Stream Central, Ward Melville, Westhampton Beach, W. Tresper Clarke

Average
Comsewogue, Division Avenue, East Islip, Elwood, Long Beach, Plainedge, Sachem East, Sayville, Shoreham-Wading River

Below Average
Everything else.
(Okay, here I go. I know I might miss a few districts but i'll give it a try. Please keep in mind that every school district has a lot of very smart students so this is in no way to condemn the students that go to lower-performing districts. It is just a way to measure the performance of the student body as a whole.)

These are the TOP School Districts- the highest perfomance it gets on the island (9/10+ rating AND 96%+ graduation rate);
- East Williston schools
- Garden City schools
- Jericho schools
- Wantagh schools
- Great Neck schools
- Locust Valley schools
- Manhasset schools
- Plainview-Old Bethpage schools
- Cold Spring Harbor schools
- Syosset schools
- Hauppauge schools
- Port Washington schools
- Amagansett schools
- Bethpage schools
- Bayport-Blue Point schools
- Kings Park schools

These school districts are outstanding/excellent;
- Half Hollow Hills schools
- Roslyn schools
- Valley Stream Central, North and South schools
- Sachem schools
- West Islip schools
- Babylon schools
- Floral Park-Bellerose schools
- Commack schools
- Shoreham-Wading River schools
- East Meadow schools
- Franklin Square schools
- Sayville schools
- Montauk schools
- Bellmore-Merrick schools
- Mount Sinai schools
- Carle Place schools
- North Shore schools (Sea Cliff, NY)
- Great Neck schools
- Rockville Centre schools
- Herricks schools
- Lynbrook schools
- Smithtown schools
- Port Jefferson schools
- Hauppauge schools
- Hewlett-Woodmere schools
- New Hyde Park-Garden City Park schools
- Seaford schools
- Harborfields schools (Greenlawn)

These districts have very good performance;
- East Islip schools
- Sewanhaka schools (Elmont+Floral Park)
- Islip schools
- Levittown schools
- Massapequa schools
- Plainedge schools
- West Hempstead schools
- Island Trees schools
- Bellmore schools
- Bridgehampton schools
- Springs Union schools
- Elwood schools
- Mattituck-Cutchogue schools
- Mineola schools
- Westhampton Beach schools
- Connetquot schools
- Three village schools
- Sag Harbor schools
- Oysterponds schools
- Lindenhurst schools
- Miller Place schools
- South Huntington schools
- Northport-East Northport schools
- Elwood schools
- Seaford schools
- Oyster Bay-East Norwich schools

These school districts are alright/decent (7/10 rating AND 80%-95% graduation rate);
- Hicksville schools
- West Babylon schools
- Oceanside schools
- North Babylon schools
- Eastport-South Manor schools
- Rocky Point schools
- Southold schools
- Baldwin schools
- Long Beach schools
- Lawrence schools
- Malverne schools
- Deer Park schools
- Brookhaven-Comsewogue schools
- Huntington schools
- Wainscott Common schools
- Center Moriches schools
- East Rockaway schools
- Farmingdale schools

These districts are below-average but not as low-performing as the ones in the below category (EITHER "low"[6/10 and under] greatschools rating OR "low"[under 80%] graduation rate [either one or the other];
- Greenport schools
- Amityville schools
- Longwood schools
- Greenport schools
- Hampton Bays schools
- Uniondale schools
- Patchogue-Medford schools
- Westbury schools
- Bay Shore schools
- Middle Country schools
- Glen Cove schools
- Elmont schools
- South Country schools
- Riverhead schools
- Southampton schools

These are the lowest-performing school districts on the island (BOTH low greatschools rating+low graduation rate);
- Brentwood schools
- Wyandanch schools
- Central Islip schools
- Roosevelt schools
- Copiague schools
- Freeport schools
- William Floyd schools
- Hempstead schools

ALL BASED OFF OF FACTS AND FACTS ALONE:
**Greatschools Ratings- GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Graduation Rates- Graduation rates for LI school districts

School District Report Card-Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 11-19-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island