Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but once again- I'm curious the downright negativity always placed on renters-

It's my knowledge that a renter pays money to a landlord for their location- the landlord uses that rent money to cover their mortgage and taxes.

So why shouldn't renters who are paying to live in a property have access to the schools in the area they live in?

Is it because they aren't paying the taxes directly?
Plenty of other places in the country have rental communities, and those kids go to school... some of which are good, and some of which are not.

I rent, and don't have kids- should my landlord be returning portions of money to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:50 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I'm sorry, but once again- I'm curious the downright negativity always placed on renters-

It's my knowledge that a renter pays money to a landlord for their location- the landlord uses that rent money to cover their mortgage and taxes.

So why shouldn't renters who are paying to live in a property have access to the schools in the area they live in?

Is it because they aren't paying the taxes directly?
Plenty of other places in the country have rental communities, and those kids go to school... some of which are good, and some of which are not.

I rent, and don't have kids- should my landlord be returning portions of money to me?

Chances are hes not paying his far share when it costs about 12k a year to educate a kid.

Remember, if your apartment is illegal hes paying nothing.(Keep in mind schools arent our only services).
If your apartment is legal you are most likely covering your trash,streets and maybe cops(thank you).

Listen, if I didnt shoulder the taxes and I had a kid in the district Id vote for the budget in every time.
Renters are not the problem, my apologies if I implied they were but it should be folks who have some skin in the game accountable for their districts budgets.

Somethings gotta give or we'll all be renters.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-09-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Its either that or forbid renters from voting on School Budgets.

Crooks
I am ALL FOR this. DH and I discussed it after the last school budget vote;when we voted on the last budget my DH and I were pretty annoyed to see H.S. kids voting. There aren't too many renters in my town, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. You should have to show your deed to vote.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I am ALL FOR this. DH and I discussed it after the last school budget vote;when we voted on the last budget my DH and I were pretty annoyed to see H.S. kids voting. There aren't too many renters in my town, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. You should have to show your deed to vote.
I knew someone whose parents forced her and her brothers to vote AGAINST the school district budget, so you cannot assume what those kids were voting for or against ... maybe their parents told them the same thing. They all lived in the same house, but weren't renters per se. They weren't teenagers still in high school, but still very young and some could have been mistaken for high school age.

I think renters of LEGAL apartments should be allowed to vote on the school budget. Who do you think when the property taxes go up the landlord passes the costs on to?

The school budget is a rigged game. So many will trick you and if you vote against it ... taa daa ... like magic the fall back budget is even larger than the one you voted against!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:27 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Who do you think when the property taxes go up the landlord passes the costs on to?[/b]

Rent has gone down significantly due to the economic slump - what makes you think rent that is paid to a landlord actually covers all of the landlord's expenses - the largest expense being real estate taxes? In a perfect landlord world the rent would cover all expenses, including damage done by tenants.

Unfortunately New York is not an easy place to be a landlord due to laws favoring tenants (other states' laws are more fair), and today trying to build in a monetary cushion for damage and other unforeseeable problems into the rent is just about impossible. Typical renters want to pay as little as possible. The other side of that coin is the landlord just trying to be able to pay all of the corresponding bills in order to run the rental properly. Keep in mind a landlord wants to be able to show about a 3% profit after taxes for all his/her work and aggravation. A landlord isn't running a property just to break even. If that were the case, who could be bothered?

Another poster said that if taxes keep increasing we'll all be renting - who will actually be the landlords? Higher and higher RE taxes will eventually force landlord/investors into selling their properties and then where will you find a rental? Probably only in illegal, dumpy apartments and houses.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I knew someone whose parents forced her and her brothers to vote AGAINST the school district budget, so you cannot assume what those kids were voting for or against ... maybe their parents told them the same thing. They all lived in the same house, but weren't renters per se. They weren't teenagers still in high school, but still very young and some could have been mistaken for high school age.

I think renters of LEGAL apartments should be allowed to vote on the school budget. Who do you think when the property taxes go up the landlord passes the costs on to?

The school budget is a rigged game. So many will trick you and if you vote against it ... taa daa ... like magic the fall back budget is even larger than the one you voted against!

Actulally he'll raise the rent and pocket the difference.

Chances are hes not paying 12k plus in taxes per unit.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Rent has gone down significantly due to the economic slump - what makes you think rent that is paid to a landlord actually covers all of the landlord's expenses - the largest expense being real estate taxes? In a perfect landlord world the rent would cover all expenses, including damage done by tenants.

Unfortunately New York is not an easy place to be a landlord due to laws favoring tenants (other states' laws are more fair), and today trying to build in a monetary cushion for damage and other unforeseeable problems into the rent is just about impossible. Typical renters want to pay as little as possible. The other side of that coin is the landlord just trying to be able to pay all of the corresponding bills in order to run the rental properly. Keep in mind a landlord wants to be able to show about a 3% profit after taxes for all his/her work and aggravation. A landlord isn't running a property just to break even. If that were the case, who could be bothered?

Another poster said that if taxes keep increasing we'll all be renting - who will actually be the landlords? Higher and higher RE taxes will eventually force landlord/investors into selling their properties and then where will you find a rental? Probably only in illegal, dumpy apartments and houses.

A: Garden Apts/The City/Our Downtowns/Near Mass Transit etc etc etc.

Slumlording and packing 4 familes in a home is criminal.

Trust me its still plenty profitable to slumlord on LI.
My heart does not break for these dbags.

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

On Long Island, apartment rent has not gone down. It is rising. If the renter "wants to pay as little as possible" does not matter. The landlord makes the rules on what rent they have to pay.

As for "rent not covering all the expenses," I agree that due to the high cost of homes these days if one has a single-family home for rent on LI they may very well NOT be able to get enough rent to cover the expenses.

As for the laws, only the laws in NYC are against the landlord and in favor of the tenant. On LI, the landlord is in charge in the court system, in charge in terms of how much rent they are allowed to ask for (answer: no limits, no rent control), etc. It's better to be a landlord on LI than in NYC by far.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:22 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Nothing is going to lower our taxes. The best we could possibly hope for is the increases to slow down a bit. Which probabally wont affect the school portion, which is the biggest kick in the nads part of our taxes.
And yes, school budgets are a scam.
Heads I win, Tails you lose.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nothing is going to lower our taxes. The best we could possibly hope for is the increases to slow down a bit. Which probabally wont affect the school portion, which is the biggest kick in the nads part of our taxes.
And yes, school budgets are a scam.
Heads I win, Tails you lose.
Absolutely!

When the contingency budget is higher than the budget the taxpayers vote on (which happens more often than we'd care for), that's what you call it! Taxpayer CANNOT win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island