Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Absolutely!

When the contingency budget is higher than the budget the taxpayers vote on (which happens more often than we'd care for), that's what you call it! Taxpayer CANNOT win.
Voting down the budget is not he answer to the fixing the school budget. You have to vote in board of ed members who will fight to lower taxes, and vote out people who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 AM

20,055 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Voting down the budget is not he answer to the fixing the school budget. You have to vote in board of ed members who will fight to lower taxes, and vote out people who don't.
I wish. But it's politics as usual. They are all in cahoots with each other. You would have to get rid of the whole board simultaneously.

All I know is, by March 1st my house is scheduled to go on the market.
Now that I'm laid off for the season, I'm gonna finish pimpin' my crib so
I can make the mad Benjamins and hopefully get outa dodge. Ha!
My wife and I are deadlocked. I want down south, she wants to stay on the Island. She doesn't pay the bills, I do. So if we stay here, any place worth moving is gonna be the same crap financially with the taxes and mortgage crap. Totally defeats the purpose of me selling the place, financially at least. Ugh...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM

125 posts, read 440,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJackie View Post
Who do we contact and what can be done to finally get some relief?
HELP!
STAR is the State's School Tax Relief Program that provides a partial exemption from school property taxes. All New Yorkers who own and live in their one-, or three-family home, condominium, cooperative apartment, manufactured home, or farm dwelling are eligible for a STAR exemption on their primary residence. For more information,

STAR - NYS Office of Real Property Services

Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
I knew someone whose parents forced her and her brothers to vote AGAINST the school district budget, so you cannot assume what those kids were voting for or against ... maybe their parents told them the same thing. They all lived in the same house, but weren't renters per se. They weren't teenagers still in high school, but still very young and some could have been mistaken for high school age.

I think renters of LEGAL apartments should be allowed to vote on the school budget. Who do you think when the property taxes go up the landlord passes the costs on to?

The school budget is a rigged game. So many will trick you and if you vote against it ... taa daa ... like magic the fall back budget is even larger than the one you voted against!
Good for those parents, although there is no way to know what really happened in that voting booth, or if the parties involved even voted (unless the parents drove them).

In the scenario I described above these were clearly students at GCHS, with their books under their arms.

But I agree about the budget - damned if you do or don't. And if it goes on contingency, gets what gets cut? Nothing from the employees, that is for sure.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I wish. But it's politics as usual. They are all in cahoots with each other. You would have to get rid of the whole board simultaneously.

My wife and I are deadlocked. I want down south, she wants to stay on the Island. She doesn't pay the bills, I do. So if we stay here, any place worth moving is gonna be the same crap financially with the taxes and mortgage crap. Totally defeats the purpose of me selling the place, financially at least. Ugh...

It's a no brainer to move off the island if you don't have at least one teacher, cop, or 6 figure NYC salary in the family. I don't see how anyone can argue that. If the extended family doesn't like it, tell them to move with you.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:

How far down south Karl? Not deliverance country. Figure out the borderlines to that area in each state for sure!

LOL! I don't know what the southerners will think of you, Karl the dam yankee!

Tell you wife if she wants to stay here she's gotta kick in some money too. Then you all can go move out by Crooks in the pastoral peacefulness of RP where it costs less than Nassau.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
How far down south Karl? Not deliverance country. Figure out the borderlines to that area in each state for sure!

LOL! I don't know what the southerners will think of you, Karl the dam yankee!

Tell you wife if she wants to stay here she's gotta kick in some money too. Then you all can go move out by Crooks in the pastoral peacefulness of RP where it costs less than Nassau.
RP is on the short list of "if we stay on LI"...
Crooks and I can have citi-data forum parties together when I become his neighbor.

I am a redneck. How or why I have no clue. Always been a hick.
Born and raised in Nassau County.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
RP is on the short list of "if we stay on LI"...
Crooks and I can have citi-data forum parties together when I become his neighbor.

I am a redneck. How or why I have no clue. Always been a hick.
Born and raised in Nassau County.
How redneck?

I have been in large big-box stores down south where I've seen whole families of hicks walk in, all barefoot.

I WISH I was kidding.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Summer time I'm shorts and a wifebeater kinda guy. That's it.
Ok, sometimes. And usually in my backyard.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
How redneck?

I have been in large big-box stores down south where I've seen whole families of hicks walk in, all barefoot.

I WISH I was kidding.

I don't know, I've been to areas in Virginia and NC where you can buy a 2500 sq foot house with half an acre for 275K, and no barefoot people in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island