Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

128 posts, read 323,004 times

Advertisements

Who do we contact and what can be done to finally get some relief?
HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJackie View Post
Who do we contact and what can be done to finally get some relief?
HELP!
You shold start with your local Councilperson

FWIW heres my 5 point plan to get the agonizing tax burden off LIs Middle Class.

1)Merge and Match School Districs to Councilmanic Districts.

2)Eliminate County Government Like CT and use State Troopers.

3)Allow for low risk Prison Labor to clean our Highways & roads.

4)Invest in sewers to develop our Downtowns to shift the burden of our taxes off the single family home and to fight future sprawl.

5)Taxes ought to be based on square footage (with a significant premium placed on Waterfronts), so If you live modestly, youll be taxed modestly.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 11-09-2009, 12:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
I like your ideas, Crooks, but have to question #4. If we go to sewers, we will create a new special district, whereas if we remain on septic/cesspool we won't. The commercial districts will contribute to the sewer districts, bit then again, so will we.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I like your ideas, Crooks, but have to question #4. If we go to sewers, we will create a new special district, whereas if we remain on septic/cesspool we won't. The commercial districts will contribute to the sewer districts, bit then again, so will we.

Again Councilmanic wide sewer districts.
All sharing in the benefits, relief and upkeep.

We need to get beyond our feifdoms OBH.

The sooner we realize that were really just 2 big towns, Nassau and Suffolk (or eek small cities) the better off we'll be

Crooks

Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You shold start with your local Councilperson

FWIW heres my 5 point plan to get the agonizing tax burden off LIs Middle Class.

1)Merge and Match School Districs to Councilmanic Districts.

2)Eliminate County Government Like CT and use State Troopers.

3)Allow for low risk Prison Labor to clean our Highways & roads.

4)Invest in sewers to develop our Downtowns to shift the burden of our taxes off the single family home and to fight future sprawl.

5)Taxes ought to be based on square footage (with a significant premium placed on Waterfronts), so If you live modestly, youll be taxed modestly.

JMHO

Crooks
You have inspired me to create a new thread crooks ...

Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
Time for Long Island going to a NYC style of taxation...use both property and income taxes. I'm so tired of renter's kids getting a free education on my dime. I'm also tired of seeing retired Long Islanders having to leave when their retirement income is no longer enough to support heavy property taxes.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Again Councilmanic wide sewer districts.
All sharing in the benefits, relief and upkeep.

We need to get beyond our feifdoms OBH.

The sooner we realize that were really just 2 big towns, Nassau and Suffolk (or eek small cities) the better off we'll be

Crooks

Just tossing this out....

My vacation home is in a town with a resevoir (sp?) and town water. I pay for town water yet have a well. If my well is ever contaminated, there is no town water service on the off the beaten path I am on.

How do I share in the benefits? I pay, but will never, ever see town water due to geological/topographical issues.

Here in Stony Brook -- there is Nat Grid gas service to a certain point and then it stops. I don't know why the entire area was never set up for gas.
If it were due to glacial erratics, slopes and grades, it might have made the area impossible to run line in at that point in time. But modern day clients of mine are not able to have pipes run...why?

If there is an issue with gas lines in this area, is it possible there would be a sewer line issue, too?

How would sewage be handled? It usually goes to one particular place...where would that be? (I can hear the NIMBYs now...)

Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just tossing this out....

My vacation home is in a town with a resevoir (sp?) and town water. I pay for town water yet have a well. If my well is ever contaminated, there is no town water service on the off the beaten path I am on.

How do I share in the benefits? I pay, but will never, ever see town water due to geological/topographical issues.

Here in Stony Brook -- there is Nat Grid gas service to a certain point and then it stops. I don't know why the entire area was never set up for gas.
If it were due to glacial erratics, slopes and grades, it might have made the area impossible to run line in at that point in time. But modern day clients of mine are not able to have pipes run...why?

If there is an issue with gas lines in this area, is it possible there would be a sewer line issue, too?

How would sewage be handled? It usually goes to one particular place...where would that be? (I can hear the NIMBYs now...)

Sewers are different than city water, sewers increase ratables.

Each district would have to handle is own effluent.
And FWIW your poop is getting dangerously close to my drinking water.

Crooks cant solve all your problems OBH ; )
Your welcome to you own 5 point plan, but this is mine.

Crooks

Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
I think that municipal taxes should at least be somewhat based on income, not solely on property values.

I think that school districts need to have at least some facets merged, and teacher and admin compensation needs to come more in line with average LI income.

I think that police compensation also needs to be more in line with average income..this can be done easily in Suffolk by phasing out SCPD the same way SCPD highway was phased out with Sheriffs.

It's very simple..the average family on LI is pulling in around 70-90K (depending on who you talk to). Individuals working for public entities with excellent benefit packages and job security in addition, shouldn't be making 30% more than the average family income.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think that municipal taxes should at least be somewhat based on income, not solely on property values.

I think that school districts need to have at least some facets merged, and teacher and admin compensation needs to come more in line with average LI income.

I think that police compensation also needs to be more in line with average income..this can be done easily in Suffolk by phasing out SCPD the same way SCPD highway was phased out with Sheriffs.

It's very simple..the average family on LI is pulling in around 70-90K (depending on who you talk to). Individuals working for public entities with excellent benefit packages and job security in addition, shouldn't be making 30% more than the average family income.
Not property values Dman.

Consumption.
Square footage tax would be a Plottage based Tax
Get the slumlords to pony up.The more you own the more you pay.

Its either that or forbid renters from voting on School Budgets.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island