Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

most of the solutions are obvious yet unlikely to ever take place.

The people who have money and don't mind the high taxes will fight like hell to keep things the way they are. They simply don't care if their school district's assistant to the assistant superintendent is making $200k a year with a fat pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
$100K with a GED has got to change too.

Unfortunately though, the thing is the POLICE only account for a fraction of our property taxes. The 800-lb. gorillas in the room when it comes to property taxes are the school districts.

Perhaps, but they lead by example and we ought to look at all public expediture.

CT has it right with State Police.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The argument has always been "We'll they gotta afford to live here'.

Not to bash but if you want to know what the true cost of living is anywhere, check the pay of the Police.

Crooks
That's interesting. The pay of the police at what level of experience or rank should be used as an indicator of the true COL? (Some start out very low, so I wouldn't think we can use starting pay.)

Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
most of the solutions are obvious yet unlikely to ever take place.

The people who have money and don't mind the high taxes will fight like hell to keep things the way they are. They simply don't care if their school district's assistant to the assistant superintendent is making $200k a year with a fat pension.
If property taxes keep going up, up, up even they will sqawk (okay, at least those who are not movie star, CEO large company bucks).

Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, but they lead by example and we ought to look at all public expediture.

CT has it right with State Police.
Line by line budget reviews are in order for all school districts and both counties.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Agreed, thats whiy I suggested merging the districts to increase buying power and lower overhead and eliminate redundant Sups.

81k is really a pittance for 5 years experience and a Masters when you can earn almost 100k w a GED as SCPD ( not to mention the Penion and Golden Parachute)
Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)

Id like to see us move to more State Troopers too.

Crooks
In all honesty, comparing anything to SCPD or NCPD is a joke...they are the poster child for excessive compensation for municipal employees. The Sheriffs are the answer to dismantling the SCPD...State Troopers are not going to do it, Levy tried that with the LIE.

I work in private business. People with masters in accounting and CPA's are making 100-150 with 5-10 years of experience, working 45-50 hour weeks, without the benefits and time off that teachers and cops get. 81K is not a pittance for an education degree and 5 years of work experience with 3 months off per year and a massive pension payout. Compensation for cops and teachers ARE out of line with what the average person makes on LI no matter how you look at it. I don't see how that can be denied.

Being a cop or teacher should insure you a solid stable income where you can afford to live where you work, under the same circumstances that other people have to deal with, ie not having a single earner be able to pay all the bills....it shouldn't be the best job available, because everyone else around you has to foot the bill for it while most of them are getting paid less than you.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. The pay of the police at what level of experience or rank should be used as an indicator of the true COL? (Some start out very low, so I wouldn't think we can use starting pay.)
They do start out low...but after 5 years you could be making 100k.

Lets say 5 years for cops and teachers then.

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Line by line budget reviews are in order for all school districts and both counties.
There'd be fewer to review if we'd merge.

And hows about them cops?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
They do start out low...but after 5 years you could be making 100k.

Lets say 5 years for cops and teachers then.

Crooks
Where else in the country does that happen but LI?

So pay rates for 5 years experience anywhere in the country for both cops and teachers should give a true COL of the area?

I didn't know cop/teacher pay was on parity in other parts of the country.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
There'd be fewer to review if we'd merge.

And hows about them cops?
Nobody is going to merge. Not on LI so that means the people who live in each of the school districts need to get involved and be very vigilent.

I was thinking of creating a website that has all the school districts on it with all their information including all school board members, budget, etc. to help people who don't know where to look for information on their local school district (and therefore do nothing so the district and school board operates on its own with little input from the people paying for it all).

Aren't they under the County budgets (except village, etc. police of course)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island