Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
In my experience, many buyers will search by fuel and see only those with gas or with a gas line in the street. Not all buyers, but many.
Not really, it depends on the neighborhood.

If gas is the norm then maybe.

Conversely I know people who dont want Gas.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
I am lucky enough to have gas and I strongly prefer it over oil. First of all, the emissions from your chimmey are practically non-existent since gas burns clean - therefore, your roof will not get all messed up (while looking for houses, I have seen many roofs with black soot stains on them - very ugly). Second, I have heard that burning gas is much easier on your boiler and the boiler will last longer than an oil boiler. Third, you never have to worry about filling up your oil tank - the supply is always there.

I do not know how the price of gas compares to oil, but I do know that I was not affected in any perceivable way when oil prices were sky-high. So that was a plus.

Having experience with gas, I would consider it to be a selling point on any home. However, I would not base my decision to buy on gas vs. oil. I would perhaps pay a bit more for gas though.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Not really, it depends on the neighborhood.

If gas is the norm then maybe.

Conversely I know people who dont want Gas.

Crooks
Let's just agree to disagree on this one!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Let's just agree to disagree on this one!
Fair enough.

I do challenge you to command a premium for Gas.
Please let us know how much more we should sell our Gas homes for.

Conversely I challenge you to unsell someone on their dream home because it had Oil (or Gas) heat.

Electric is a deal breaker.

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Fair enough.

I do challenge you to command a premium for Gas.
Please let us know how much more we should sell our Gas homes for.

Conversely I challenge you to unsell someone on their dream home because it had Oil (or Gas) heat.

Electric is a deal breaker.

Crooks
Never said Gas = $$$$$
If someone walks into a home and it is "the One" for them, the type of fuel will likely not break the deal. Never said it would.
Yup, electric sure can be a deal breaker - have seen that firsthand.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
If I had an equal like for 2 different houses, I would pick gas over oil. Gas is significantly more inexpensive from what I have experienced.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Never said Gas = $$$$$
If someone walks into a home and it is "the One" for them, the type of fuel will likely not break the deal. Never said it would.
Yup, electric sure can be a deal breaker - have seen that firsthand.
Now we agree

I do think it has to do with the continuity/availability in the neighborhood.

Crooks

Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
I am not sure how it affects the price of a home, but it could be a deciding factor in some cases. My wife rejected a nice home in East Birchwood because it had no gas lines and she wanted gas for cooking.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I am not sure how it affects the price of a home, but it could be a deciding factor in some cases. My wife rejected a nice home in East Birchwood because it had no gas lines and she wanted gas for cooking.
Get propane.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I prefer it for cooking but I would take electric. I can't see giving up on a home just for that.

The one downside to gas is most heating systems are hot air which make the whole house dryer. I prefer having baseboard heating but usually that comes with oil. I haven't seen a house yet that had baseboard and gas, though I'm sure it is possible to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island