Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM

23 posts, read 95,999 times

Advertisements

I plan on grieving taxes...the home is assessed by the town at more than it is currently worth (over $120,000). I will also provide photos that it needs work. As long as I have that, a mortgage proving it was purchased lower and a new assessment by the bank at a lower amount --would that be enough to prove my case? I can also provide homes nearby that have sold for less than my homes assessed value.

If that is enough-- how much lower do the taxes typically go?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

22,092 posts, read 19,296,640 times
What date is the assessment as of? When challenging an assessment one important aspect is to keep in mind that what you need to challenge is not the value of the home now compared to the assessment amount, but the value of your home compared to when the assessment was made.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,488,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erawan View Post
I plan on grieving taxes...the home is assessed by the town at more than it is currently worth (over $120,000). I will also provide photos that it needs work. As long as I have that, a mortgage proving it was purchased lower and a new assessment by the bank at a lower amount --would that be enough to prove my case? I can also provide homes nearby that have sold for less than my homes assessed value.

If that is enough-- how much lower do the taxes typically go?

Thank you
We had success by using basically what you have...especially the appraisal and the comparable sales (assuming they are recent). Our initial attempt only got us a 10% reduction. We followed up with a small claims case with the county, and got the remainder of what we were looking for. The whole process took about a year and cost about $30 in fees. If you are willing to pay more, there are companies who will do all the leg work for you.

It looks like we are dealing with similar numbers. My home is valued at 300K and was assessed at 415K. The grievance lowered our tax bill from $9200 to $5800...just to give you a barometer.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 PM

23 posts, read 95,999 times
It looks like we are dealing with similar numbers. My home is valued at 300K and was assessed at 415K. The grievance lowered our tax bill from $9200 to $5800...just to give you a barometer.[/quote]

I am not expecting that much of a change---- but that would be great!! And I am happy to hear it can be done without using the companies.
Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 23,603 times
As I previously said before and will say it again. The town of Islip knows damn well they over assess on many of the homes in their jurisdiction. They do it knowing full well that 9 times out of 10 the homeowner will do nothing about it. No one likes to fight 'city hall'. They have no rhyme or reason when you ask them for a legitimize how they came to their assessment. Again, the Town of Islip and the town of Brookhaven are notoriously corrupt. They let the people who work for the town, especially in that dept. off the hook with assessments below what us normal folk have to pay. I may also say, those same people are allowed to do work on their homes and don't have to go the Route we must for permits. They do work on their homes WITHOUT needing permits! Don't believe it? Research the archives of newsday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island