Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times

Advertisements

I currently live in an incorporated village in Nassau County. We consider moving...but wonder, how important it REALLY is to live in an incorporated village? We love all our village services (police, parking laws, rules, etc). But sometimes we wonder, what if we used regular nassau county services (police, sanitation, etc). Would there be more frustration somehow or is the village thing overrated and more necessary in certain towns simply based on their location?

Anyone with experience living in incorporated and not incorporated towns in LI? Please give your feedback.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 04:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
i live in an area that is considering becoming incorporated. we will vote on it again this summer. i think we will be an inc hamlet, which means we'll pay your township and county to use their services but also have some of our own. we mostly want our own zip code, and to use our actual mailing address instead of the one we use now.
we are in suffolk & we have terrific services, great police, public safety, sanitation. In my opinion its a little less like big brother is watching without a village building dept, traffic dept & so on.
my DH grew up in western nassau in the land of little cities & villages, he's not a fan of it. I think that's because he got so many tickets for leaving his car in street overnight as a young person though. LOL.

like everything else there are pros & cons with both.
Why don't you buy in a different house in your same area?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Why don't you buy in a different house in your same area?
Want a different area, want more property (prop are basically 40 or 50 by 100 here), want to be further from the Queens border, want better schools (ours are ok), larger house, etc. Too many reasons to list.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
what town are you in?

there are a few inc villages in suffolk but not many have their own police.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM

138 posts, read 600,779 times
I grew up in an incorporated village. My parents paid taxes then a villiage tax.
The bottom line is that you may have certain things just for that town, like a police dept, or town hall. I do remember growing up that you had to vote on a lot of things. One being STREET LIGHTS the town never wanted them so at night our neighborhood was pitch black which most people hated. For whatever reason.. it's still pitch black because my parents still live there.

I have been looking for over a year for a perfect place to live. for the last 8 years I have not lived in an incorporated village and when I move will be right back in one again. I guess it can be nice to have certain things and then not so nice for others.

This wasn't something I put on my list when looking for places to move to however so
I don't really think it makes a MAJOR impact on most everyday things.

For me, It doesn't make a difference whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: