Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I do not ride trails but swimming in a stream is awfully difficult...

My point is, in many ways this is a nice place for my family, even without any connection whatsoever to the city. That is the post I was responding to, Mr. Witty Sarcasm. I can ride my bike to the sound, hop into the water at the beach, pop out and run some trails or jogging paths. Where I live in LI getting to a body of water where you can jump in so easily has not been a common experience for me elsewhere in this country. And I understand this can also be very difficult in the desert regions...just sayin'

P.S. I am not a long island native, and would leave if the right opportunitty presented itself. For now, I am okay living in this denizen of eroding beaches and moral values while putting my very children's existence at risk...
Just sayin man.....

I've lived here my whole life, but I've seen enough of my friends who live in other places to know that LI isn't the be all and end all that many of the natives here think it is. I mean, if your life is about pizza and bagels and Italian machismo, I guess you should stay here, but if you're looking for simple suburban life, there are many options that won't have the average person working 2 jobs.

I happen to have many friends who still live in the boroughs and I enjoy the city, but since I've had a kid I've barely been in there. Likewise in the last 5 years I've been to areas in Texas, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Virginia, NC, and Georgia, and everything that you mention is available there for less..MUCH less in some areas. The bottom line is about how you make your money if you can pull that off in those other places. I know I can, but as I've said before, my wife is on the LI teacher gravy train and I'm riding it for all it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 PM

292 posts, read 820,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
just sayin man..... :d

i mean, if your life is about pizza and bagels and italian machismo, i guess you should stay here, ... Since i've had a kid i've barely been in there. Likewise in the last 5 years i've been to areas in texas, new hampshire, pennsylvania, virginia, nc, and georgia, and everything that you mention is available there for less..much less in some areas. The bottom line is about how you make your money if you can pull that off in those other places. I know i can, but as i've said before, my wife is on the li teacher gravy train and i'm riding it for all it's worth.
lmao.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Just sayin man.....

I've lived here my whole life, but I've seen enough of my friends who live in other places to know that LI isn't the be all and end all that many of the natives here think it is. I mean, if your life is about pizza and bagels and Italian machismo, I guess you should stay here, but if you're looking for simple suburban life, there are many options that won't have the average person working 2 jobs.

I happen to have many friends who still live in the boroughs and I enjoy the city, but since I've had a kid I've barely been in there. Likewise in the last 5 years I've been to areas in Texas, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Virginia, NC, and Georgia, and everything that you mention is available there for less..MUCH less in some areas. The bottom line is about how you make your money if you can pull that off in those other places. I know I can, but as I've said before, my wife is on the LI teacher gravy train and I'm riding it for all it's worth.
I am riding those same rails...

Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 PM

65 posts, read 161,695 times
Quote:
Just sayin man.....

LOL, you guys are HILARIOUS! hahahaha

Old 11-17-2009, 03:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
No offense, but that train needs to be derailed for our tax sake

I guess it's different for everyone. I'm Italian, and I love the access to Italian and European cultural events, food, music, movies etc. The city has a lot to offer in this regard. I can't enjoy the Metropolitan Opera from NC (unless I tune into PBS

Plus, I have some family here so that is a big factor.

But, if the city wasn't here and family wasn't an issue, I can certainly think of many other areas of the country that offer fantastic living (Texas, Maryland, Virginia, etc.)

Now, if we are ever able to scale back all the useless and repetitive layers of government here, we'd really be looking at something special.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
my wife is on the LI teacher gravy train and I'm riding it for all it's worth.
Um, you looking to adopt an adorable, blue eyed, blond haired, 38 year old man? I'm housebroken too!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
^^^
I love blonds. Too bad we are both married and polygamy is illegal.

Actually, with the cost of living rising and salaries not, maybe making polygamy legal is a good idea ... then there would be more than 2 adults in a household to pay all the bills and taxes!

Do you think the religious leaders would go for it or do you think they would prefer a return to child labor in sweatshops to bring more money into a family's household?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
I love blonds. Too bad we are both married and polygamy is illegal.
well, we can always elope to Montana and live in one of those polygamist compounds.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:43 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
Quote:
I've grown up in this environment, but I'm sick of being tailgated, people driving like maniacs with no regard for other peoples lives, nevermind courtesy, having people try to sneak to the open register when it the light goes on, the sneaky and unethical business practices that are the NORM in this area, etc, on top of how expensive it is. Everyone is a wannabe slickster. I don't know, maybe I don't belong here. Some days I'm fine with it, some days I think someone is going to get pulled out of their Infiniti Q35/SUV by their blow out/bleached blonde bimbo haircut and pummeled.
You sound just like me 4 years ago. It's funny, I unknowingly cut in front of some lady at the deli counter the other day. When I realized it, I felt so bad and apologized about 5 times. It's just natural having grown up in that environment I suppose. I still have some bad habits, mainly while driving. But I'm trying to adapt.

The grass is most certainly greener elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I miss my family and friends but, much like my parents who moved from Queens to LI back in the 50s, I wanted a better life for my wife and family. When I was younger (early 20s) I thought I would stay on LI forever but I grew up and priorities change as we get older.

To the OP, a good friend said this to me when I left LI (for the 1st time) back in 1993:

"It's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do..."

Words to live by!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM

I tried employing a different tactic lately and it seems to be working very well.
I've just been behaving like a complete and total A-hole in public and especially while driving. The results are astounding. I've totally blended in with society.
It's great, I actually feel like I belong on LI now. I think I'm going to write a thesis on it, followed by a late night infomercial on how to assimilate on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island