Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 AM

125 posts, read 440,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleAutismmom2 View Post
My 5 year old asthmatic son is currently batteling the swine flu. He was diagnosed and started on tamiflu, Sunday the 8th while in the emergency room for a high fever. He was out of school all of last week, and will be all of this week. He may be able to return next week, but only because there are 3 days next week that are 1/2 days.

His fever ended Tuesday the 10th without fever meds. He still has to take xopenex 5-6 x per day, his regular pulmicort, and oral steroids (which increase his already horrid behavior). This will continue for at least another 2 weeks.

When he goes back to school he will not be able to participate in outdoor recess for a while. Gym is possible depending on the activity.

He's had the seasonal flu before, but this one really just sucks. He's still at risk for being hospitalized.

Hope he recovers completely from the virus. Good luck and hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
lol, your ignorant now go get yourself another glass of that Kool-aid your drinking. Remove H1N1 and replace it with the common flu which incidentally has been more lethal than this "pig" scare. Let me beat you over that lil' noggin of yours with facts. H1N1 not included. now go back to worshipping your Al Gore shrine.

Deaths from Flu: 63,730 annual deaths for influenza and pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001); estimated 20,000 deaths from flu (NIAID)
Cause of death rank: 7th leading cause of death in 1999 and 2000 is "pneumonia/influenza" (CDC)
Death rate extrapolations for USA for Flu: 63,729 per year, 5,310 per month, 1,225 per week, 174 per day, 7 per hour, 0 per minute, 0 per second. Note: this automatic extrapolation calculation uses the deaths statistic: 63,730 annual deaths for influenza and pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001); estimated 20,000 deaths from flu (NIAID)

It's easy to spout off disrespectfully and self-righteously when you are not personally affected.

The fact that you put a completely unnecessary political spin on this board utterly invalidates any point you try to make. Go back to listening to RL.

Last edited by ambralita; 11-17-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Totally overhyped.

Does it concern anyone how fast they tried to jam this thing down our throats? It was in Albany all top secret then bam passed and mandatory for healthcare workers. I think Paterson found his way to close the budget gap under the table. And lets not fool ourselves into thinking it won't be mandatory next year when the labs are all fired up and ready to crank out the next batch of Vacc's.

H1N1, H5N1, SARS they were all supposed to be the end of us not so long ago and amazingly enough we're all still here making snarky comments on CD.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
It's easy to spout off disrespectfully and self-righteously when you are not personally affected.

The fact that you put a completely unnecessary political spin on this board utterly invalidates any point you try to make. Go back to listening to RL.
lol, sure it does pal. 2012 is out today, you should go see it and prepare for the end.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post

I was personally affected, my husband is now just recovering from it (diagnosed today).

It's overhyped.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Lets get real..swine flu is about as bad as the world ending in 2012. I can understand how the people that bought into the Y2K thing, global warming, and obama's hope and change are buying into it but it is just another scare thing. Fact is it is no more potent than any other strain of flu.
The world is going to end in 2012?
How come nobody told me this.
I guess I can cancel the life insurance policy now.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM

160 posts, read 290,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I was personally affected, my husband is now just recovering from it (diagnosed today).

It's overhyped.
I am a former LI'er now living in Birmingham, and in the healthcare field. We had an outbreak down here at the beginning of the school year in August, which resulted in 2 of my three kids and my wife coming down with it (confirmed by blood tests). In every case, it was SIGNIFICANTLY less severe than the ordinary flu; my 11 year old son was so "sick" he taught himself how to moonwalk while home from school.

God bless, my children do not suffer from any other medical conditions that would significantly increase the risk of major complications or even death, both of which are very realistic concerns with H1N1.

So my 2 cents:
General population: VERY OVER HYPED
Immuno-suppressed individuals: REALISTIC CONCERN

The thing that we learned down here is that is seems to be much more contagious than the ordinary flu, but much less severe and runs it's course much quicker.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
I am a former LI'er now living in Birmingham, and in the healthcare field. We had an outbreak down here at the beginning of the school year in August, which resulted in 2 of my three kids and my wife coming down with it (confirmed by blood tests). In every case, it was SIGNIFICANTLY less severe than the ordinary flu; my 11 year old son was so "sick" he taught himself how to moonwalk while home from school.

God bless, my children do not suffer from any other medical conditions that would significantly increase the risk of major complications or even death, both of which are very realistic concerns with H1N1.

So my 2 cents:
General population: VERY OVER HYPED
Immuno-suppressed individuals: REALISTIC CONCERN

The thing that we learned down here is that is seems to be much more contagious than the ordinary flu, but much less severe and runs it's course much quicker.
AMEN

Glad your kids are well

Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Swine flu is an over-hyped media strategy to gain ratings.
Just like a snow storm.
They blow it out of proportion to keep you glued to the boob-tube.
Plain ole no frills flu is worse than swine flu.
Kills many more people.
So there!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

It's overhyped.
Uh, good for you. The OP was asking about KIDS with H1N1. Young people (6 mos-24 yrs) are the ones getting hit hardest or who may have a harder time recovering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island