U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 10,014 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're relocating to LI from NJ and have been to visit twice. We are looking for a nice town/village/etc. with a definite downtown area like Garden City. We like to walk/run and sidewalks are a must. Safety is high on the ilst and we must be on the train line as DH will eventually be commuting to LI City. We are looking to spend around $1 m. We visited Garden City, Syosset, and Glen Cove this weekend and Huntington, Northport and Oyster Bay on a previous trip. Garden City is definitely the #1 right now. Are there other towns we should consider? Schools are not an issue because our children are grown, but we tend to buy in good districts because of resale... yeah, we move a lot.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM

22,072 posts, read 33,827,866 times
I live in GC and I will say this is a great place to live no matter whether you have kids or not. I don't know old you guys are but there is a very active senior scene here. Also lots to do for all ages thru the village's continuing ed, great village pool in the summertime. I grew up in HUntington, great place to live, plenty of restaurants, little independent shops and culture (Hecksher Museum, Cinema Arts Center, lots of live entertainment - GC is a little sleepy in comparison).

Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM

748 posts, read 2,768,154 times
You should add Great Neck to your list.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Not seniors :-) I like to get involved with volunteer work & I garden. Am I correct that Huntington didn't seem to be as convenient to the train and the area outside of the downtown was very suburban (no sidewalks, etc.)? We definitely want a "walk-to-town-for-coffee" kind of location.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM

65 posts, read 155,877 times
I currently live in Glen Cove (at the Avalon) and am ready to purchase a home next year, so I too am looking to relocate. I originally moved from the DC metro area into my Avalon apartment while attending law school in NY. I can honestly say that I would NEVER consider Glen Cove to live ever again. It is a hub if illegal immigrants, who harass you as you walk by. There are chicken bones on the sidewalks, lots of loitering around latin food stores and markets, and no one does anything about it. It is not safe, it is not pleasant, and it is certainly not the best choice out of the ones you have listed. I am not too familiar with Long Island in general, but since I am looking I can tell you that Garden City is too close to Hempstead to be the best choice, Huntington is very nice but only the northernmost part of it and the South of it, not the Huntington Station area, which is much like Glen Cove. Northport seems to be the very best option, being close to the water, not that far east, very pleasant and pretty with a nice family environment.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,978,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalibu24 View Post
I currently live in Glen Cove (at the Avalon) and am ready to purchase a home next year, so I too am looking to relocate. I originally moved from the DC metro area into my Avalon apartment while attending law school in NY. I can honestly say that I would NEVER consider Glen Cove to live ever again. It is a hub if illegal immigrants, who harass you as you walk by. There are chicken bones on the sidewalks, lots of loitering around latin food stores and markets, and no one does anything about it. It is not safe, it is not pleasant, and it is certainly not the best choice out of the ones you have listed. I am not too familiar with Long Island in general, but since I am looking I can tell you that Garden City is too close to Hempstead to be the best choice, Huntington is very nice but only the northernmost part of it and the South of it, not the Huntington Station area, which is much like Glen Cove. Northport seems to be the very best option, being close to the water, not that far east, very pleasant and pretty with a nice family environment.
Finally Suozzi may reap what he sowed (in terms of probably losing the election)!

Suozzi was the one who was extremely illegal alien friendly when he was mayor of Glen Cove. He even set up "work centers" paid for by taxpayer money for illegal aliens to get jobs that ... they don't have to pay taxes on! The irony of it! We are reamed with taxes and that money is used so illegal aliens can work and NOT pay any taxes! Suozzi never cracked down on illegal aliens so his rich pals could have cheap labor. Since Suozzi himself lives in a mansion/gated estate in Glen Cove, the illegal aliens certainly won't be causing any quality of life problems for him and his family, so he does not care about the rest of the people that have to live there!

Garden City has its own police and all of it does not border Hempstead, just a small part. You might want to rethink Garden City because if you can afford it, it is very nice.

Other places in Nassau where you will run into illegal alien crapola of varying degrees:

Port Washington (like Glen Cove, some parts are filthy rich, most is middle class, but there are pockets teeming will illegal aliens living in overcrowded fire hazard conditions that you would not want to end up living next door to)

Westbury Village (They set up a whole culture there with their own stores up and down Post Avenue, etc. Habla espanol if you want to shop there. Seriously, my husband went to a butcher shop on Post Avenue and could not communicate with the proprietor who only spoke spanish. One of our frequent C-D posters has seen plenty of disorderly hispanics -- the prevailing type of illegal alien there, although some of the unruly ones he speaks of may not have been illegal even though their behavior is of backward peasants from out in the sticks -- urinating in the street, drinking alcohol outside, bathing in the fountain, etc.)

Avoid Huntington Station completely at this time, not just on a street by street basis, as it is a target of absentee landlords who think nothing of renting a single-family house to 30 illegal aliens. HS's main drag (NY Ave/Rt. 110) makes you think you went through a time/space wormhole and you are suddenly in Central America! HS has not cleaned up its act, so until they vote their local government OUT and make changes, I would say avoid the whole place because you never know where a slumlord will buy a home and pack it will illegal aliens.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. We agreed that Glen Cove seemed less-than-desirable.

We are not familiar with the LIRR but it didn't seem as though one could travel from Great Neck to Long Island City by train.

Can anyone suggest other towns we should consider? Again, I am looking for an area near the train that has neighborhoods with a walk-to downtown.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,400,595 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

runnerjudy, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM

22,072 posts, read 33,827,866 times
Yes, Huntington does tend to lack sidewalks. You'd have to live in the West Neck area to be close enough to walk to town. Otherwise it's way too hilly.

A lot of places on Long Island don't have that downtown feel that you are looking for - it can tend to be "strip mall central". We looked in East Williston when we were house hunting but there was no downtown, just Hillside Avenue.

If you are looking at "walk to town" locations in GC, though, you are probably going to have to go several hundred thousand above a million dollars. The central section is probably the most expensive section of town. The Country Life Press section puts you borderline-close to walking distance. From the estates section and eastern section it's walkable if you like to walk over a mile each way (eaasy walking though - it's pretty flat here).

Keep in mind that a lot of north shore communities in both Nassau and Suffolk do not have sidewalks.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,103,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerjudy View Post
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. We agreed that Glen Cove seemed less-than-desirable.

We are not familiar with the LIRR but it didn't seem as though one could travel from Great Neck to Long Island City by train.

Can anyone suggest other towns we should consider? Again, I am looking for an area near the train that has neighborhoods with a walk-to downtown.
The Port Washington line doesn't directly connect to Long Island City, I thought you would be able to transfer to an LIC-bound train at Woodside but I just checked with the LIRR's website and that apparently isn't possible. You can transfer from LIRR Woodside to the NYC Subway 7 train (which makes several stops in LIC/Astoria) but the 7 isn't a direct transfer.

I like Oyster Bay and Northport out of the ones you listed, Northport is nicer though I think the downtown area is a little less active. The Northport LIRR station is also located several miles from downtown, actually in East Northport. There are homes in Oyster Bay where you can walk to the LIRR....and before everyone mentions how bad the OB Branch sucks, keep in mind that LIC & Hunterspoint Avenue are served only by diesel trains, so there are no transfers required.

Roslyn is another nice village along the Oyster Bay Branch.

On the south shore, might want to check out Babylon. There is a 7:39 express to LIC that only takes 65 minutes. That might be your only real option on the South Shore, but it's a great area and very walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island