Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times

Advertisements

We sold our house "as is." That being said, even with an as is sale the roof needs to be leak free, and the heating, plumbing and electrical systems need to be in working order. If anything is found that is wrong with all four of these things, it needs to be fixed by the seller. But that's all a seller is responsible for.

As far as replacing things, buyers will ask for $, new windows, window treatments and doors, gold-lined cabinets, marble floors, new carpeting, new bathrooms, new kitchens with granite, crystal chandeliers - you get the drift. They're all out for themselves and will take whatever they can leverage out of a seller if the seller is willing.

I'm with you - they need to tell the so-called buyers to "stuff it" is right. It was our experience that the more arrogant the buyer, the less $ they had and less of a chance to get a mortgage. We had one deal fall through because the buyer wouldn't sign a contract even after they did a house and roof inspection. And our house wasn't to the arrogant husband's liking. They sucked up 2 months of time with their bogus deal.

We had a realtor who's been in the business for about 15 - 20 years and her judgment of buyers was always spot on - she could smell a phony a mile away. I came to rely on her judgment 100%. My judgment was way off most of the time - I gave more credit than was due to most buyers.

Tell your parents to hang tough. There are a lot of desperate bottom feeders and phonies out there. It takes quite a bit of time to get the right buyer. But they're out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM

44 posts, read 178,611 times
"As is " means the offer you place is based on the present condition of the home. ( windows and all)In this market, buyers totally ignore this and try to get more. Knowing that sellers are desperate to sell, buyers try to squeeze as much out of it as they can. If it is a good offer, fairly close to asking, and you've had it on the market for over 6 months, I would recommend counter offering 50% of what it would cost for windows in good faith. If the offer is very low, and there is decent activity, then stand your ground. How quickly do your parents need to sell? What does your real estate agent say about this? Are they represented by a buyer's agent?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM

294 posts, read 879,137 times
If the house is listed "As Is" then it is truly offered "as is". If the inspector had found a leaky roof, active termite infestation, or faulty plumbing and/or heating then your parents would have to take action. But windows can be seen easily and when the buyers first saw the home, and likely again on a re-show, they should have noted the windows are old/will need to be replaced. I do not believe your parents should have the windows replaced, nor give a credit for it. Keep in mind replacement windows can run $250-500 each.
Best of luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 PM

170 posts, read 878,322 times
Default Thanks for the help

FYI,
My parents do have the house listed w/an agent. They have already agreed on a price. They are NOT replacing the windows. My parents don't have a binder or a contract as of yet. I understand that buyers are trying to get everything they can, and in this market I don't blame them, but I feel these people are being a little unreasonable. The home has been on the market for a short time and showings have been decent. My parents are also in no rush.

Thanks for all the info from those who have responded.

Fallgirl

Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
As someone who has been on both ends within the past year, I do think you're going in the right direction.

Ultimately I look at a home inspection as a way to find out problems that are not obvious to the general public. ie: leaky roof, inadequate structural support, etc etc. Regarding windows unless they are leaking, they are what they are.

For a home inspector to say replace windows in the next 2 years.... seems stupid to me. Either they're failing or they're not. up until the early 2000s my parents had the origional windows in their 1925 house, still worked (kept the rain out, and you could see through them). Were they the most efficient? definately not.

If the windows are old, yeah maybe at some point someone should consider replacing them, but I have serious doubts they are deficient.

Although, I did look at a house in my search, the window was installed improperly, it leaked and let water in, the drywall was spongy and who knows how much is behind there...

Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Until they are in contract, everything is subject to negotiation. Your parents can choose not to replace the windows. Then the buyers can choose to move forward without the new windows or choose to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island