Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 AM

27 posts, read 48,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't know, I still get tailgated everywhere I go , when i'm doing 65 on the LIE, 35 in a 30 on my local roads, always somebody driving up my rear end, nobody ever gets pulled over.
I must say at times it is very difficult to keep from slamming on the brakes on one of these reckless @#*@ when I'm in the right lane and doing the speed limit.

The best method for losing them is slowing down (no brake light) and let them pass to find another potential victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Deck View Post
I must say at times it is very difficult to keep from slamming on the brakes on one of these reckless @#*@ when I'm in the right lane and doing the speed limit.

The best method for losing them is slowing down (no brake light) and let them pass to find another potential victim.

Taking you're foot off the gas slowly is okay, you definitely shouldn't slam on the brakes like some people do. If I"m doing 65 and I"m getting tailgated, I'll slow down to 55 gradually.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times
Default Wrong

Quote:
Did the guy say he ran a red light?

Did you bother to look at the list of infractions they have on the link that was posted? A cop can give you a ticket for any reason, and you have no means to argue it, it's your word against theirs. I don't like any system that can punish you on the complete whim of someone else. I don't know, it's that US Constitution thing I fall back on.
It isn't whim. You can argue it in court, where you get a hearing. You know, guaranteed by the US Constitution and stuff.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Default No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollytech View Post
You completely missed the point. Most traffic laws are written in a way that it completely neglects the situation and context of the violation. Nothing is too unimportant, even if it's a illegal u-turn at 3am where there are no one on the road.

Of all the violations you can pick, you choose running a red light and play out a scenario that will kill people. Why don't you just imagine all cars kill people and let's ban cars? or Illegal parking that only inconvenient those that find the car in front of their house an eyesore?

Pretty amazing how the world is still black and white to some of you folks.
No way. You want to break laws, and you want to be able to complain about the repercussions. How 'bout if you don't like tickets, don't drive like a fool. The rules exist for safety reasons.

I've never ever seen a cop pull someone over for no reason. I've been pulled over a number of times and been let off. I've made bad turns, I've had lights out, and a broken windshield. Many tickets go away if you show up in court and show you've corrected the problem. Often, cops just let you go with a warning. Often, they give out warning tickets.

If you want to argue a ticket, show up in court and argue it.

But Christ, that you are complaining means that the cost must be a deterrent, and we need more deterrent.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
It isn't whim. You can argue it in court, where you get a hearing. You know, guaranteed by the US Constitution and stuff.
And what evidence does a cop have to show that you were guilty? Nothing. There's no reason to have a hearing, there's no evidence to display, it's all heresay, you and the cop, and you lose.

That karma's going to come around and bite you where it hurts. Sure, cops never lie.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:18 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollytech View Post
Nassau County Traffic & Parking Violations Agency

$100 penalty + $80 surcharge ???

Since when did our local government become a bank?
so the financial problems of Nassau County can be solved in the NCPD enforces the cell phone law. Now lets see if they can do it. More than half of the drivers I see (and about 90% of female drivers) are on their phone while driving.
I did not see the penalty listed for the latest rude Long Island driving habit - people making left turns and using the median turning lanes as acceleration ramps because there is too much traffic in the traffic lanes. I see it on Jericho Turnpike in East Northport every evening .

Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM

Default Wrong

Quote:
And what evidence does a cop have to show that you were guilty? Nothing. There's no reason to have a hearing, there's no evidence to display, it's all heresay, you and the cop, and you lose.

That karma's going to come around and bite you where it hurts. Sure, cops never lie.
Being a witness is not hearsay. Repeating what one purportedly heard someone else say is hearsay.

Each cop has a camera on board that records pullovers. If the cop didn't trigger it, you are going to get off for procedural reasons.

I think cops have better things to do than pull people over for absolutely no reason. Besides, 50% of people are talking on their cellphones anyway. If a cop wanted to pull just about anyone over he/she could for that reason half the time.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Being a witness is not hearsay. Repeating what one purportedly heard someone else say is hearsay.

Each cop has a camera on board that records pullovers. If the cop didn't trigger it, you are going to get off for procedural reasons.

I think cops have better things to do than pull people over for absolutely no reason. Besides, 50% of people are talking on their cellphones anyway. If a cop wanted to pull just about anyone over he/she could for that reason half the time.
My paticular grudge is against NYPD Highway cops. They have every motivation to pull people over for no reason...let's say you're shift is over at 12AM...at 11::30pm you still haven't done anything all night, and the brass wants to see tickets, so you go out and start driving up peoples rear ends, cutting them off, etc, in an unmarked car, and then pull them over for tail gaiting or illegal lane changes or whatever you want. No, no cop is dishonest,wouldn't do that. Explain to me how the same cop pulled me over in the above scenario, processed my paperwork in less than a minute, and then had another car pulled over a mile down the road after I got back on the road...how could he even have observed someone doing something illegal in the 30 seconds it took me to catch up to him?

Of course, it only happens to people who deserve it, and I was lying. I don't tailgait people, ever, but I have it on my driving record that I do, and as far as I'm concerned, the cop told a flat out lie. What evidence did I have to dispute what he said? I don't have a camera, and neither does he, and he's not an impartial witness when his job is to generate tickets for following too close by the brass. How do I know this? Half hour conversation with a NYPD traffic cop who just happened to be pushing his kid next to mine on the swings this summer. Works the same shift as the guy I mentioned in a different area, even drives the same car, and told me that they were instructed by higher ups to hand out "following too close" tickets because that is the major cause of accidents in NYC.

Now, you don't think that a cop who has a quota of "following too close" tickets to fufill might push people to follow too close by riding up their butts in an unmarked car?

But go ahead, keep thinking the police are infallable. You'll get burned eventually. They are just people like everyone else, they can be heroes and they can lie and screw around with other peoples lives...and it's not just tickets they lie about.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes they are, the governmenet is hungry and wants to be fed. but the drivers are out of control too.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 PM

27 posts, read 48,488 times
Quote:
Are you sure?
http://sturly.com/he-could-not-help-himself-vid
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1961.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: