Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The war on drugs in terms of Heroin should continue..it's too dangerous to give people the option of using or not. The most extreme thing I would do in terms of ending the war on heroin is setting up a maintenance program where addicts can used without having to buy from street dealers.

As for things like pot, they should have been made legal long ago. Regardless of what most people born before 1945 were taught, pot is a relatively harmless drug, and it's widespread availability might lessen the lure of cheap heroin. The fact that kids can get their hands on heroin for $15 is very scary.

Whose backyard are we putting the methodone clinic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
There's one in Smithtown already right by my kids old pediatrician.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:

Really? Wow, i'm kinda glad I live in a "Bad" neighborhood.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Really? Wow, i'm kinda glad I live in a "Bad" neighborhood.
Yeah, too bad you wouldn't be able to convince anyone how glad they would be when you try to sell your house.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Take a look at places like Norway that do this, lower crime and happier populace all around.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:

West Islip too

Old 11-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Take a look at places like Norway that do this, lower crime and happier populace all around.
In all fairness, there are a lot of other factors that make Norwegians happier in their Social Democratic utopia. But, I do think we should explore all options as opposed to simply feeding the law enforcement machine.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Wow.

Anyone see tonights?

Ward Melville HS = The Pharmacy
Sachem and Northport too.

Its EVERYWHERE.

Apparenly Heroin knows no socioeconomic barriers.

Hats off to Shrerrif Demarco for the free pisstest kits.
Crooks

Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow.

Anyone see tonights?

Its EVERYWHERE.

Crooks
Didn't they call it that when you attended? My old neighbor in Rocky Point was from 3V (older than your or me) and when she heard I was moving to the area (early 1996) she asked, "You realize they call WMHS 'The Pharmacy' don't you? The nickname isn't anything new, but News12 used it to help sensationalize the report.

I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the Heroin problem, but do find it irritating when News12 does things like that. Yes, it's more shocking to use a nickname of a well-regarded district known for Intel winners than it is to trot out the name of the HS from which I graduated -- one which had a highly publicized Heroin death of a pretty female senior.

Going back to WMHS -- we all watched the report and DH asked our oldest if he knew anyone using. No Heroin, but has seen a lot of pot smoking on the school grounds. He stated some of it goes on in plain sight of the school building. I find that to be rather brazen and wonder who much more these students are pushing things? And if that's happening here, I would wager it's happening everywhere.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow.

Anyone see tonights?

Its EVERYWHERE.

Crooks
Demarco NEEDS to do something, the two Long Island Jails were already full, now they are busting at the seams with our kids that are serving time for dealing, stealing or commiting other crimes to support their habits.
I personally know SEVEN "kids" that are 21-23 years old that grew up in Oakdale/Bohemia that have been charged with felonies related to heroin/RX pills, a couple of them are in Riverhead now some of them will be heading upstate for years.
I will say it again-the media & police are barely scratching the surface.
Heroin addicts RARELY loose the habit completely and move on to function in society. What are we going to do with a generation of people that are dependent on various services for a lifetime because of their addiction?
I've been in NA meetings all over Suffolk with a young adult in my family, this thing is huge and very ugly.
Years ago my cousin got hooked on crack, I took him to NA meetings then-the crack junkies back in the day are a joke compared to the "wealthy, educated" kids that look like death and their shell-shocked parents in these meetings now.
Anyone on this board with a pre-teen or teenager should find a local NA meeting, take your kid and go. When you hear the stories these addicts tell, it will terrify you.
And lets not forget how many of our troops are coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan addicted to heroin and other opiates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island