Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
Deja vu all over again!

I've had all these arguments about vikeys and oxys with a relative who loved them so dearly he ended up getting addicted. He was NOT an alcoholic or abuser of illegal drugs before that, so how did he know he would end up an addict? My relative thought his doctors (who prescribed him what he wanted and "understood" his excessive pain while other doctors didn't) were omniscient too. The relative got what he deserved, professional ruin, and now is probably 10 years behind in life than where he should be. It could have been worse of course. He could have lost his life or got a long jail sentence (rather than the small ones he got due to drug abuse) instead of just losing his successful career, house, family, investments, and credit rating. The problem is people who love drugs so much that they will act against all common sense and insist they not be regulated enough. Then other idiots follow their lead, like dopey high school kids and new addicts are minted constantly.
I don't love drugs, in fact, I can't wait to not have to take them anymore. I have just seen many people legitimately in pain have to jump through hoops to treat their pain. I have a friend who recently passed away, who was in horrible pain the last few months of her life. She had to go to 6 pharmacies before finding one that stocked her medication (Oxycontin), because of the tight regulations, no one wants to stock or fill scripts for large amounts. I might have even turned my nose down at them myself until I had to experience the same things they went through after an accident and serious injury.

Again, like I said, these drugs are already highly regulated (especially since 2006 and the new prescription slips that were required by NYS), and there are millions of non addicts who take them on a daily basis for various ailments. I don't believe in punishing the whole for the actions of a few. It doesn't work. People will still find ways to obtain what they want, dealing with an addict, you should know that.

Personally - I leave this to doctors to decide, not people hysterical over the latest hyped up news on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
deep breaths.
Man, you really read a lot of stuff in to my post that simply isn't there.
You called me one of the "haves" and implied that basically I was claiming an epidemic because my lilly white "nice" neighborhood had been infiltrated. Was hardly flattering...Your other posts comment that if its happening in "white" areas then it equals an (egads!) epidemic...as if that is how simpled-minded the debate is. So if somebody who lives in a nice area thinks it is an epidemic, you basically devalue their entire opinion based on zip code...how is that different from those that annoy you when they pre-judge "bad" school districts.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
You are getting into an entirely different debate regarding socio-economic bias and racism...I do not think this is the right context. For example we can debate why the mainstream media goes crazy over a young blonde white girl abduction versus an african american child being kidnapped in another thread. And I do not disagree...

Black, white, purple or otherwise if areas of Long Island are showing huge percentage upticks in heroin-related overdoses and arrests where a few years back the officers in those locales spent more time on mainly petty larceny or domestic issues I would venture that it has become more pervasive. I have not seen precinct statistics that show these incidents going down in the other areas perceived as "bad". So if the precinct stats and crime levels in "bad" areas have persisted or risen, and now this issue is being seen in broad daylight in areas that never had these same issues...I would say it is becoming an epidemic. Or you could say it is white "hysteria". I disagree...it is heroin hysteria, and I think it is warranted.

I surprised this isn't obvious.
OK, cool. I agree with much of what you said.

Discussing perscription Meds is a bit out of context too.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:

Peace and love, peace and love...

Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:

Prescription meds are widely considered to be the thing that is leading people to heroin..the same high for much less money. It's not out of context, kids growing up popping their parents vicodin..then they get their hands on some oxy...then the snort some heroin..then the needles.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:24 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Prescription meds are widely considered to be the thing that is leading people to heroin..the same high for much less money. It's not out of context, kids growing up popping their parents vicodin..then they get their hands on some oxy...then the snort some heroin..then the needles.
The way to stop that by Parents taking responsibility when they have abusable drugs, and either locking them up, throwing them away, or raising their kids to not steal their pills.

Why blame the drug makers or doctors or feds when the blame really lies with the parents and kids?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The way to stop that by Parents taking responsibility when they have abusable drugs, and either locking them up, throwing them away, or raising their kids to not steal their pills.

Why blame the drug makers or doctors or feds when the blame really lies with the parents and kids?

I don't necessarily blame the drug makers, although I haven't heard of many of them complaining about the extra volume they are moving due to all the demand. Doctors are over-prescribing the low level narcotics..I've had them try to give me prescriptions on 3 different occasions..instead I asked them for Ibuprofen.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
You called me one of the "haves" and implied that basically I was claiming an epidemic because my lilly white "nice" neighborhood had been infiltrated. Was hardly flattering...Your other posts comment that if its happening in "white" areas then it equals an (egads!) epidemic...as if that is how simpled-minded the debate is. So if somebody who lives in a nice area thinks it is an epidemic, you basically devalue their entire opinion based on zip code...how is that different from those that annoy you when they pre-judge "bad" school districts.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

I offer a simple explanation to what I view as a simple problem. I think most of you are mountain climbing over a mole hill.
You almost nailed exactly what i'm implying but it is your choice to take offense or not. I did not say your lily white neighborhood was being infiltrated. I said the problem is coming right from the neighborhood itself.
Yes, as previously mentioned I absolutely believe this "Epidemic" is only being noticed because the nice neighborhoods are noticing a "Problem".
This is my opinion. Nothing more.

No offense intended and I have no problem with those who opinion disagrees with mine.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Gee, it used to beer. than Pot.
If you can throw perscription meds in this thread than I can throw race/economic factors in.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I don't necessarily blame the drug makers, although I haven't heard of many of them complaining about the extra volume they are moving due to all the demand. Doctors are over-prescribing the low level narcotics..I've had them try to give me prescriptions on 3 different occasions..instead I asked them for Ibuprofen.

Are you a drug addict?
Maybe the doctor saw nothing wrong with perscribing a drug he thought would help you?
Why does this make him "Wrong"?
It's possible the overwhelming majority of people DO NOT misuse perscription drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island