U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM
 
2 posts, read 10,007 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

anyone have nay idea of how the Westbury area is in terms of schools and safety specifically westbury village at maple square
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
 
138 posts, read 583,279 times
Reputation: 64
Depends on where in Westbury.

Jericho schools are the top. Number 14 in the country but that school district is Old Westbury.

Westbury in general may be the westbury district.. which I hear isn't too great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
 
222 posts, read 866,579 times
Reputation: 73
It does depend. Unfortunately the name "Westbury" encompassess several areas/section that can be vastly different, yet under the same zip code.

In the zip code of Westbury 11590, there are 5 school districts one can attend depending on location:

Jericho - obviously the best in NY
Carle Place - Good
East Meadow - (Salisbury - south of Old Country Rd) OK
Hicksville - OK
Westbury - scores getting better/ particularly elementary/high school

The Village of Westbury is in the town of North Hempstead (North of Old Country Rd to Jericho Turnpike - excluding New Cassel) is quite nice and in recent years has experienced a downtown rebirth and soaring property values. In particular, the area north of the northern state pkwy were developments and are some of the prettiest parts of the village (bordering Old Westbury). Home values can range from $500 - $1M+ depending on home type, condition etc;

The issue people speak of when referring to Westbury "negatively" really refers to New Cassel where there is a large concentration of central american immigrants and other economically challenged minorities. There is an effort undereway to change this but that is where the negative connotation comes from. Since New Cassel, is zoned for the Westbury S.D., those children dominate the scores of the westbury S.D. Most of my neighbors, send there children to private school because of that simple fact. This is one of the reasons the school budget fails to pass because the more affluent taxpayers in the westbury S.D. send their children to private schools and don't want to subsidize the education for predominantly non-tax paying newly arriving immigrants and poorer performing students in New Cassel.

That being said, the Westbury S.D. is still probably better than most NYC public schools. The question becomes whether or not you want a nice home in a nice neighborhood with decent sized property, still with a "North Shore feel" and pay for private school or $550K-$750k or you buy in Jericho and pay 650-$1M+ for the same house and go to public school.

I guess it depends on your pockets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM
 
7,184 posts, read 8,296,586 times
Reputation: 7377
THere's plenty of central american immigrants in Westbury. You don't need to go to New Castle to find them. Many are in apartments on and off of Post Avenue.
Schools are very hispanic and taxes are pretty high for such an average area. Carle Place is next door and seems to be more stable in demographics.

St. Brigid's Church is on Maple Ave, with another larger church on Post Ave. Go there on a Sunday and see what the congregation looks like. They will be your neighbors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
 
7,184 posts, read 8,296,586 times
Reputation: 7377
BTW, just was looking at the immigration section of this forum regarding sanctuary cities, and Westbury is listed as one. I imagine their illegal population must be pretty significant for them to do that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2007, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,940 posts, read 7,988,028 times
Reputation: 1398
Well I have been living in the village of Westbury for about 5 years and alot has changed...for the worse.
Reading this question made me want to join the forum and tell people what it's like, living in the village.
There has been a huge influx of illegal immigrants, mostly from Mexico and other countries in central America. For 3 1/2 years I rented an apartment on Post ave, right around the train station. I had to move out because these illegals started moving in the building. There were frequent problems with drunk illegals loitering starting fights, blasting music, and urinating and defecating, often right outside my building. The police and village were notified many times about the problems, but nothing was ever done. After there was a stabbing in the apartment next door to me I had to move out.
I have moved onto a residential street in the northern part of the village a few blocks south of the Northern State Parkway.
So far I've had few problems on my street, but the illegals are creeping up Post avenue. 2 new mexican resteruants and a bodega have opened up several blocks north of Post and Maple ave, and they are always loitering outside and causing trouble. A new mexican resteruant is going to open in the old Gino's spot (Gino's relocated to the old variety store).
It doesn't suprise me that Westbury village has given these invader thugs sanctuary, as their actions have been almost non-existant when it comes to enforcing housing. Now houses in my area are starting to have multiple meters, illegals milling about them, and even landscaping trucks parked there.
So...I'd recommend to avoid Westbury village. Yes the area north of the parkway is nice, but for how long?
When it comes to neighborhoods full of illegals, as far away as possible is the best advice because they will suck the whole community down.
Nassau as a whole turns me off in general, but that's another rant. Avoid Westbury village, and New Cassel even more (Union & Maple you feel like you're south of the border).
If you want to be near Westbury, parts of Jericho and Carle Place are nicer, but expect to pay more. Here you need to have loads of $$ or you will be stuck living in a ghetto like me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
 
222 posts, read 866,579 times
Reputation: 73
I have to respectfully disagree. There have been may things that has revitalized the neighborhood --- but more does need to be done. One in particular is the re-gendrification of New Cassel. As the area transforms, it will serve as a new model for transforming the property values in the area, but also the schools (Westbury S.D.) and the sections along union etc;

What you speak of though is a much larger issue that's much bigger than Westbury. It's immigration...and that's changing the face of America and creating a new underclass that's spilling over into the middle and upper-middle class.

Ask yourself...where can we run to? People can't keep running everytime some new "undesirable element" shows up. The immigration issue is affecting everyone in every state...not just Westbury, NYC, LI.

Believe me...I don't even have a kid and pay almost $11K in taxes to support anchor kids, whose parents may be renting.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Mattituck
491 posts, read 762,567 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhome123 View Post
anyone have nay idea of how the Westbury area is in terms of schools and safety specifically westbury village at maple square
If your referring to the area around Westbury village its 3rd world slum, the schools is about to explode with single parent badly behaved kids who can’t speak English.
I haven’t seen such a thing since I was in South Los Angeles last year.

If you have a radio scanner program the Westbury police frequency's Long Island Scanning Resources and listen on Saturday nights. Its non stop with 911 calls. Drunks, fights, women beat up, people passed out in there own urine in the street, hit and runs its mind-boggling !
The police and town is over-run with Mexico and Central America’s garbage

-Joe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Westbury(New Cassel)
48 posts, read 133,761 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well I have been living in the village of Westbury for about 5 years and alot has changed...for the worse.
Reading this question made me want to join the forum and tell people what it's like, living in the village.
There has been a huge influx of illegal immigrants, mostly from Mexico and other countries in central America. For 3 1/2 years I rented an apartment on Post ave, right around the train station. I had to move out because these illegals started moving in the building. There were frequent problems with drunk illegals loitering starting fights, blasting music, and urinating and defecating, often right outside my building. The police and village were notified many times about the problems, but nothing was ever done. After there was a stabbing in the apartment next door to me I had to move out.
I have moved onto a residential street in the northern part of the village a few blocks south of the Northern State Parkway.
So far I've had few problems on my street, but the illegals are creeping up Post avenue. 2 new mexican resteruants and a bodega have opened up several blocks north of Post and Maple ave, and they are always loitering outside and causing trouble. A new mexican resteruant is going to open in the old Gino's spot (Gino's relocated to the old variety store).
It doesn't suprise me that Westbury village has given these invader thugs sanctuary, as their actions have been almost non-existant when it comes to enforcing housing. Now houses in my area are starting to have multiple meters, illegals milling about them, and even landscaping trucks parked there.
So...I'd recommend to avoid Westbury village. Yes the area north of the parkway is nice, but for how long?
When it comes to neighborhoods full of illegals, as far away as possible is the best advice because they will suck the whole community down.
Nassau as a whole turns me off in general, but that's another rant. Avoid Westbury village, and New Cassel even more (Union & Maple you feel like you're south of the border).
If you want to be near Westbury, parts of Jericho and Carle Place are nicer, but expect to pay more. Here you need to have loads of $$ or you will be stuck living in a ghetto like me.
Your advising someone to aviod the village? Did you forget places like Sherwood Gardens, Westbury Hills, The Hedges, Birchwood Knolls, Franklin Street(or politican street since a couple of them live there), the Elison area, and around the high school. These areas in no way fit the description you just gave. To the OP,these areas are very nice and are comparable to just about any other town on Long Island.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
 
222 posts, read 866,579 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury Legend View Post
Your advising someone to aviod the village? Did you forget places like Sherwood Gardens, Westbury Hills, The Hedges, Birchwood Knolls, Franklin Street(or politican street since a couple of them live there), the Elison area, and around the high school. These areas in no way fit the description you just gave. To the OP,these areas are very nice and are comparable to just about any other town on Long Island.
You are a little late to this party. John does eventually highlight that the areas north of the parkway and east of Post are much nicer and appear to be upscale....

Still his overall opinions appear to be exaggerated.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top