Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 12,949 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Franklin Square. It's a nice neighborhood. It looks that you made a good deal on your house. I don't agree with the poster that the area is slowly worsening; have lived in the area for ten years. The split nature of the area is due to the fact the the area is not corporated and we don't have our own LIRR train station. It was too bad that there was no master plan for the stores on Franklin Avenue. Stores are haphazardly scattered all over the place.

The neighborhood is a mix of working families with young children and retirees. Long time residents are extremely happy with the neighborhood. People that I met who grew up in the neigborhood love the area.

For restaurants try Alpine, a local neigborhood favorite. There are a couple good neighborhood bakeries in the area, take your pick. Head straight for the butter cookies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,385,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sja4410 View Post
For restaurants try Alpine, a local neigborhood favorite!
uhhh, the alpine garden, boy do i miss that place. some great food. still owned by the original owners????

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,054 times
I am renting a house in Franklin Square.My mother had already lived in the basement apartment for over 6 years before we moved in.Although we though it would be great, its not. The landord is a money hungry scum bag.My mother is moving out March1.Now the landlord wants to rent the basement again.The problem is I dont want to pay for this persons electric.He said he would knock off $50.00 a month after recently raising it $100.00 after only one year. He said we had an agreement,but that was only because it was my mother..I could ask her to shut off lights!! This is an illegal apartment by the way. Also we did not sign a lease as his lease was not beneficial to us, only him. But we have receipts to show payment each month and the original security deposit & 1st months rent receipt.What are my rights and also where can I find out if it is illegal for him not to list this house as being rented to other than family. I need to be prepared.PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelyn View Post
I am renting a house in Franklin Square.My mother had already lived in the basement apartment for over 6 years before we moved in.Although we though it would be great, its not. The landord is a money hungry scum bag.My mother is moving out March1.Now the landlord wants to rent the basement again.The problem is I dont want to pay for this persons electric.He said he would knock off $50.00 a month after recently raising it $100.00 after only one year. He said we had an agreement,but that was only because it was my mother..I could ask her to shut off lights!! This is an illegal apartment by the way. Also we did not sign a lease as his lease was not beneficial to us, only him. But we have receipts to show payment each month and the original security deposit & 1st months rent receipt.What are my rights and also where can I find out if it is illegal for him not to list this house as being rented to other than family. I need to be prepared.PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,292,923 times
Wow, 4.875% is a great rate! I got 5.5% and that was considered great at the time I bought.

Good luck with it. Sounds like you got a great place.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,292,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelyn Dougherty View Post
If you knew it was illegal you should never agreed to rent it. Sorry, I don't think there is much you can do. Next time rent a LEGAL place.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,720,299 times
J-WOWW lives in your neighborhood. Maybe she can help.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 4 days ago)

19,679 posts, read 20,492,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
J-WOWW lives in your neighborhood. Maybe she can help.
HA HA! right.

Maybe you could strangle your landlord with those blond hair extensions, I noticed she isn't using them anymore

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

189 posts, read 631,112 times
I grew up right off Franklin Ave and practically lived in Franklin Square for 18 years.
Eastern Meat Farms & Prince Umbertos pizza. That's all you need to know. 2 great places!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
can anyone help??? I'm trying to locate a Harold and Doris Griffin who live/lived at 166 Rintin St.. I believe they are about 80 years old and lived in Boca Raton, Fl. for a while. My parents were friends with them and my dad, Nick D'Elia has been trying to get in touch with them. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help us track them down (don't know how to make a general post).Any info, please forward to [email]lp2690@bellsouth.net[/email] . Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island