U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 03:31 PM

25 posts, read 94,994 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiancé just closed on our first home this week in Franklin Square.

We are both in our mid-20's. She is an accountant, and I am an Engineer. We hope to be living comfortably financially here in FS.

I grew up right in the village of Floral Park, and she in Whitestone.
We aren't getting married until June 2010, but with the lender rates & housing market so low, we decided to venture a bit early.

We locked in @ 4.875% buying 0 points, and found a spacious cape for 320k!!
We put down 20%, and were paying $1374 for our mortgage. With taxes & insurance we will be paying $2080.00.

The house was wayyy under priced, the seller was in a rush to move to Florida near her grandkids.

Anyone has any insight or advice for us, please let us know. Thanks !
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,435,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLPRO1989 View Post

Anyone has any insight or advice for us, please let us know. Thanks !
About what?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:53 PM

About the town in general...

Old 11-21-2009, 04:39 PM

292 posts, read 777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLPRO1989 View Post
About the town in general...
Yikes, this is something you should ask before you buy a house!

What school district are you in? Are you north or south of Hempstead Tpke?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Default :

"yikes". Lol

I am south of Hempstead on Harrison st.
Polk street grammer school

Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 PM

292 posts, read 777,488 times
Rath Park is nice. Pretty close if you decide to have kids.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,033,644 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Franklin Square

JCLPRO1989, Mazel tov!

For those who may not be familiar with Franklin Square:

Franklin Square is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest section of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Franklin Square in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Stewart Manor, the Village of Garden City and the Hamlet of South Garden City; on the east by the Hamlet of South Garden City and the Hamlet of West Hempstead; on the south by the Village of Malverne and the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Elmont.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Franklin-square-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Franklin Square has a different border than does the "Franklin Square, NY 11010" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address and not be in Franklin Square and a place can be in the Hamlet of Franklin Square and have other than a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address): places with a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Franklin Square are in the Village of Stewart Manor and the Hamlet of Garden City South; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Franklin Square that have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Elmont, NY 11003" and "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 PM

866 posts, read 4,054,718 times
Is Franklin Square still predominantly Italian? Or has that diminished over the years?

I know that in the mid-90's you could throw a stone in Franklin Square and it would hit an Italian.

I haven't been back to the area in years though.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:52 PM

Yes, still very Italian. I'd say more than half.

My new neighbor is Piazan to me and my fiancé being from Naples. I know a bunch of friends from Carey HS, were traditional Italian famlies.

That makes us happy bc my fiancée family was born over there and they consider it a blessing to have Italian neighbors.

I don't mind any nationality being my neighbor, as long as we have a good relationship.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:40 PM

6,855 posts, read 8,029,752 times
Congrats on buying your house. Price is good for the area if the house doesn't need too much work.

As a 17 year Franklin Square resident I can only offer the following advice: don't go crazy on renovations to make your house too expensive. The neighborhood is slowly worsening in terms of crime and desirability and IMHO is probably due for an exodus once the economy improves. Don't sink your every last dime into your house.

Basically its an average but decent area. Certainly not as nice as Floral Park or the nicer areas of Whitestone. No real sense of community at least partly due to town being split into 2 school districts.(17 and 13) LOTS of illegal apartments,Hempstead Turnpike is filthy, schools are pretty good (elementary better than high school thanks to being in Sewanhaka Central District)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>