U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 PM

39 posts, read 264,867 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a single man working for a financial institution and need some advice on commuting to work in Manhattan from Suffolk County around Smithtown/Hauppauge area compared to just living in NYC like Bayside, Flushing, or Woodside.
I have always liked and loved many aspects of living in Long Island as I have for 12 years. It is really a great suburb, one of the finest in the nation, and something you miss dearly once you leave the place.
But at the same time, I wonder, "What good is it to live in Long Island if you spend 4 hrs every day on commuting (accounting driving to the train station, taking the train, subway, waiting time, a little walk, etc...)? Wouldn't it be better off just to live in places like Woodside and save time and energy? What good is it to live in Long Island if you are only there to enjoy weekend off?"
Is it worth expending 4 hrs Mon-Fri on commuting to work? Or would it be better to relocate to far western Nassau County or find a job in Suffolk County?
Thanks in advance for any insights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,479,321 times
Ronkonkoma is packed in the morning Express service is about 70min to Penn.

Youre not alone.
Many do (and from far further east than Smithtown).

Its all about QOL, loving what youre coming home to and where you want to raise your family.

Western Nassau and the better areas of Queens are fairly simailar with the main exception of the schools/taxes.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 PM

406 posts, read 1,329,106 times
I commuted for close to 30 years, the last 14 from Suffolk. It was the only way to travel. I could have a cup of coffee in the morning while reading Newsday, and have a brew on the way home with a buddy or two. Never had to worry about traffic, and for the most part the trains ran pretty much on time. Like most things in life, both the commute and the paper changed, and for much the worse. IMO, the cell phone is one of the great plagues of this age. It is now impossible to be alone with your thoughts, or with a book or paper as there is always some yutz who thinks that everyone within earshot is fascinated by their tale of their latest gall bladder operation. I grew to hate the train, as well as the tabloid rag that Newsday had become. I don't miss either of them.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,161,933 times
Do it everyday. EI to 68th st. It has it's up's and downs. I work for a top notch hospital in the city but I want grass in between my toes. I like the quiet of my block. I despise the human crush, i used to live in BK and it was ok for a while but you start to hate people after a while. To me does it suck sometimes you betcha. But it's good for me for now.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 AM

939 posts, read 2,114,560 times
ive got trees and grass to enjoy on the weekends... that beats enjoying a sidewalk in queens after work

Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 AM

8,900 posts, read 14,063,281 times
I commuted to 53 st/10th ave from Smithtown for my student teaching for about 4 months. Luckily I was only like 3 blocks from the train station, so I left my house just 10 minutes before the 6am train arrived. Took about an hour and a half to get in, then walking to the subway at Penn station and taking it (about 20 minutes), then a 5 minute walk. It ended up being about 2 hours one way. I got burnt out after just 4 months! I don't know how the others at the station in the morning could do it everyday, all year.

Last year I lived in Astoria and took a train and subway to work. I honestly prefer driving in from the suburbs (live in Levittown now) than taking mass transit.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 20,748 times
I lived in Miller Place for about 6 months and commuted to the Grand Central area of Manhattan. That was pretty brutal. 2 hours each way. I would never live that far out again and commute to the city. A few of my co-workers do and they're kinda cranky all of the time.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 AM

342 posts, read 994,257 times
This is a QOL issue. Depends on if you have kids or not, if you are married or not, how old your kids are. I think people here are used to long communte times. My husband commutes about 50 minutes to an hour each way now. I wouldn't do it again. He leaves early, comes home between 7 pm to 7:30, exhausted. Little time for sports or anything other than eating dinner and relaxing a bit. It takes its toll on family time. Just coming home an hour earlier makes a huge difference on how connected you are to your family. Just being able to be available for whatever is important. Having said that, alot of people find giving 2 to 3 hours of their day to the road is fine. I'd rather have that time at home.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:42 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,972,697 times
I know a former NYPD officer who lives in Rocky Point and did the commute for 15 years. He suffered through it because the high quality of the schools and lower cost of living here vs. further west.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM

7,539 posts, read 10,835,368 times
It is going to sound corny but I think it depends on the individual. Some people think it is worth it to have to travel hours to the city but then live in a much nicer area. I certainly do but I respect those who do not. Every summer and fall I am glad I made the decision to come back out here.

One thing that does bother me is the expense of mass transit or the LIRR seems to be going up so much more than inflation. This could be a factor for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island