Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 AM

175 posts, read 657,506 times

Advertisements

If you are worried about the amount of house you'd get in Syosset, look into Half Hollow Hills or Harborfields. Ranked higher than 3V anyway, with just as much community and less commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
If you are worried about the amount of house you'd get in Syosset, look into Half Hollow Hills or Harborfields. Ranked higher than 3V anyway, with just as much community and less commute.
I'd say not as much community and a bit more snoottiness. You have some remnants of the hippie/new age stuff because of SBU in 3 village...the other areas you're talking about are more about getting the newest Range Rover offering.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Sure bargains galore in Wheatley Heights.
(Hmmmm walk to LI Sound or walk to LI Expressway?)

Stick to Pizza Pedro...youre off.

Way off.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-23-2009 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM

76 posts, read 179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I still question the quality of life for the breadwinner, but if they are willing to put up with being away from home for close to 70 hours per week, that's their call.
Unfortunately 70 hour weeks are becoming the norm, long commute or not. If you want to make the kind of money that allows your family a nice middle class existence you better be ready to sign your soul over for a blackberry. IMO at least.

Many people on the train continue to do work on the ride home. There is internet in each car. It's not so bad in the end, though, because not having to drive lets you multi-task.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
I'd say not as much community and a bit more snoottiness. You have some remnants of the hippie/new age stuff because of SBU in 3 village...the other areas you're talking about are more about getting the newest Range Rover offering.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While Pedro was spinning pies and obsessing on Greatschools.com to justify his position, DMan was paying close attention to the nuances of this thread.
; )

Exactly Dman, its a cutural and progressive vibe that is rare and exceptional on LI.
Call it what you will. Cruchy, liberal, elite whatever... its a great place to live and well worth the extra 40min.

Im pretty sure OP was looking for feedback from residents/alumni of 3V on whether or not theyd be willing to commute to NYC.
I for one would.

Crooks

Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While Pedro was spinning pies and obsessing on Greatschools.com to justify his position, DMan was paying close attention to the nuances of this thread.

Exactly Dman, its a cutural and progressive vibe that is rare and exceptional on LI.

Call it what you will. Cruchy, liberal, elite whatever... its a great place to live and well worth the extra 40min.

Im pretty sure OP was looking for feedback from residents/alumni of 3V on whether or not theyd be willing to commute to NYC.I for one would.

Crooks
I much prefer 3V to the areas in HHH and Haborfields, but I just can't stand 347...my wife and I have committed to the fact that we will not move East of the 347/25 crossover, simply out of our hatred for the traffic there.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

175 posts, read 657,506 times
There are some areas of Western Suffolk, those close to the LIE, that aren't that "pretty", but when you're on the North Shore it's still the North Shore. CSH and Centerport are no different than the 3V area. (Except for the higher rated schools and shorter commute.)

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I much prefer 3V to the areas in HHH and Haborfields, but I just can't stand 347...my wife and I have committed to the fact that we will not move East of the 347/25 crossover, simply out of our hatred for the traffic there.

347/25A in Crookhaven is awful

Nicolls is fine 25a to the LIE since the 25 overpass.

We live on the BillyF in RP.
Not bad at all.

Crooks

Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
There are some areas of Western Suffolk, those close to the LIE, that aren't that "pretty", but when you're on the North Shore it's still the North Shore. CSH and Centerport are no different than the 3V area. (Except for the higher rated schools and shorter commute.)
Not to mention (literally)the extreme and oppressive premium placed on the RE and the taxes.

Wow, this conversation is dumb.

Sorry pieboy, Im out, you win.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-23-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 AM

76 posts, read 179,487 times
Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of wealth in this area. When even the junkiest houses on the outer fringes of the community fetch 400-450K, certain income cut-offs are imposed.

That said, I feel that people in the 3 villages still strive after middle class ideals. The guy next door is a big shot lawyer, yet rakes his own leaves each saturday. The RE developer down the street obsesses with his lawn and is fanatical about his holiday lights. Despite the wealth people seem down to earth. It's not uncommon for little Suzy to set up a lemonade stand in front of a house with 2 Lexus's in the driveway. I'm not saying that this isn't the case further west, just that it IS the case here and I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island