Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcio View Post
I rarely post here, but this is just wrong. Don't knock HHH because it encompasses Wheatley Heights and is close to the LIE. Not everyone wants to commute to manhattan from Exit 68. That is insane as far as I am concerned. I commute from Dix Hills which is very doable, and, in fact, thanks to the LIE I can be in Penn Station via a drive to Hicksville in 1 hr 5 mins from my front door. That's not happening in 3V.
To each his own.

I think you mean Exit 62.

And its 70 min from Exit 60.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Agreed, anyone knocking HHH in any way just doesn't have a clue or doesn't ever have to go past Bohemia. HHH is a great area.

Nobody is KNOCKING it, they are saying that it is not superior to 3 Village. Sheesh, strawman much?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Nobody is KNOCKING it, they are saying that it is not superior to 3 Village. Sheesh, strawman much?

HHH great schools but what the Fucco?
We can see it from all the way out in Bohemia.

3V great schools ...no Fucco.

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 PM

57 posts, read 166,600 times
i went through syosset schools and it's a great school system. your children will do well in syosset. they have project beyond (a gifted program) for grades 3-7 and a plethora of honors, ap and college level classes after that. 3v is a unique town but not worth the commute to the city. if you are really serious about living in 3v then perhaps you should look into working on Long Island including in the Hauppauge industrial park and garden city area...

Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I think you mean Exit 62.
And its 70 min from Exit 60.
Crooks
I think the poster was implying "front door of his house"....not the front door of the first coach of LIRR from exit 60.

3V to Penn using Ronkonkoma line in less than 90 mins is not happening.... sorry !

Last edited by zulu400; 11-24-2009 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 PM

264 posts, read 878,312 times
Thanks for all the info on 3V.
It's obviously a fantastic school district!
It seems similar to Syosset in many ways.
Thankfully, both seem to have reasonably priced housing.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 40,137 times
Default Resident commuter

I live in East Setauket and have commuted to Wall St. for the past 9 years from either the Ronkonkoma (3 years) or Stony Brook University (6 years) stations. It is certainly doable. Riding two hours on the LIRR is a lot less stressful than driving in traffic for an hour to get to work. I read the newspaper on the way into work and read a book or catch up on work on the way home. I have experienced very few delays on the train and commute into the city about 235 times per year.
I moved to East Setauket because I liked the wooded small town feel of the community and because of the school district. I also enjoy living only 5 minutes from West Meadow Beach and riding on a newly opened greenway trail that will eventually connect East Setauket to Pt. Jeff.

I find the short drive (or bike ride) to the Stony Brook station is a lot less stressful than making the 20 minute drive to the Ronkonkoma branch as you don't need to leave any extra time to account for potential traffic. I have also noticed that there are significantly more rush hour delays on the Ronkonkoma line as compared to the Pt. Jeff line. Also, you are less likely to find damage to your car when parking in a local lot in Stony Brook as opposed to the Ronkonkoma lots (where you should either drive a station car or pay to park in the garage).
East Setauket also has great access to shopping (Smithhaven Mall, HD/Best Buy/Target shopping center) and to New England via the Pt. Jeff Ferry.
Nichols Road provides easy access to the highway for travel either east or west.
I have a 15 month old and another due in 3 weeks. My wife stays at home. My daughter goes to MyGym (Gymnastics and Birthday Parties for Children | Mommy and me | MY GYM - Children's Fitness Center) in Stony Brook for indoor activities. We live close to Benner's Farm (BF Homepage ), a privately owned organic farm that offers programs for kids and schools. There seems to be a lot of young children in the neighborhood and the streets are typically busy with joggers, walkers, runners and bikers (not many rollerbladers though). There are lots of hiking and biking trails in our area.

The disadvantages I see include poor access to attend professional sporting events (long drives to see Mets, Islanders) and a long drive to the ocean.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
Thanks for all the info on 3V.
It's obviously a fantastic school district!
It seems similar to Syosset in many ways.
Thankfully, both seem to have reasonably priced housing.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstocks View Post
I live in East Setauket and have commuted to Wall St. for the past 9 years from either the Ronkonkoma (3 years) or Stony Brook University (6 years) stations. It is certainly doable. Riding two hours on the LIRR is a lot less stressful than driving in traffic for an hour to get to work. I read the newspaper on the way into work and read a book or catch up on work on the way home. I have experienced very few delays on the train and commute into the city about 235 times per year.
I moved to East Setauket because I liked the wooded small town feel of the community and because of the school district. I also enjoy living only 5 minutes from West Meadow Beach and riding on a newly opened greenway trail that will eventually connect East Setauket to Pt. Jeff.

I find the short drive (or bike ride) to the Stony Brook station is a lot less stressful than making the 20 minute drive to the Ronkonkoma branch as you don't need to leave any extra time to account for potential traffic. I have also noticed that there are significantly more rush hour delays on the Ronkonkoma line as compared to the Pt. Jeff line. Also, you are less likely to find damage to your car when parking in a local lot in Stony Brook as opposed to the Ronkonkoma lots (where you should either drive a station car or pay to park in the garage).
East Setauket also has great access to shopping (Smithhaven Mall, HD/Best Buy/Target shopping center) and to New England via the Pt. Jeff Ferry.
Nichols Road provides easy access to the highway for travel either east or west.
I have a 15 month old and another due in 3 weeks. My wife stays at home. My daughter goes to MyGym (Gymnastics and Birthday Parties for Children | Mommy and me | MY GYM - Children's Fitness Center) in Stony Brook for indoor activities. We live close to Benner's Farm (BF Homepage ), a privately owned organic farm that offers programs for kids and schools. There seems to be a lot of young children in the neighborhood and the streets are typically busy with joggers, walkers, runners and bikers (not many rollerbladers though). There are lots of hiking and biking trails in our area.

The disadvantages I see include poor access to attend professional sporting events (long drives to see Mets, Islanders) and a long drive to the ocean.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing the info. I agree its doable, I would definitely do it too.... but only if I have to, and that is the theme of this thread. In your case you chose 3V by choice. The main thing is after all the commute and everything, you seem to be at peace with it and are enjoying your neighborhood and local activities with your family, because it looks like what you have now is exactly what you want, and I am very happy for you.
Now, Shopping Malls/Targets/Best buys etc are all over the island and 3V is a good SD (but not the best).... so having said that.... I would rather try to cut an hour or two from my 5 day commute which I can use to go to places with my kids. Your kids are small now, once they are 3+ years old, believe me, you would want to be with them more....

Also, you can get to your sporting events sooner !!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. I agree its doable, I would definitely do it too.... but only if I have to, and that is the theme of this thread. In your case you chose 3V by choice. The main thing is after all the commute and everything, you seem to be at peace with it and are enjoying your neighborhood and local activities with your family, because it looks like what you have now is exactly what you want, and I am very happy for you.
Now, Shopping Malls/Targets/Best buys etc are all over the island and 3V is a good SD (but not the best).... so having said that.... I would rather try to cut an hour or two from my 5 day commute which I can use to go to places with my kids. Your kids are small now, once they are 3+ years old, believe me, you would want to be with them more....

Also, you can get to your sporting events sooner !!
I'd say after your kid turns 18 months you want to be with them more..they actually remember who you are, ask mommy where the hell daddy is, lay the guilt trip on you when you leave them, etc. The person you responded to I'm sure is doing very well financially, but we're talking about being away from home 14 hours per day commuting from SB to Manhattan. That's just insane to me, even if you only do it for 10 years or so.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:26 PM

264 posts, read 878,312 times
I talked it over with my fiance.
We are planning to stick with Syosset and will be moving into a specific house next month.
But thanks for all the info on 3V! It sounds like an awesome area to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island