Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I lived on a plane for years.I know what I have here.

Im sorry you hate your life.
Go...run.

Seriously, good luck.

May you find your Eden too.

Peace

Crooks
Aren't you being a bit belligerent today. What's the matter? Not getting any turkey for Thanksgiving?

By the way...did the plane land?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM

292 posts, read 819,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
do most people ever move to ANY suburb without some underlying reason? I mean, I can't think of many people moving to suburban Boston, Philly, Chicago just for the hell of it. There are obviously exceptions...

However, plenty of people do start off in moving to Manhattan or other parts of the city...and those people often end up coming to LI or Bergen County/WestchesterFairfield County) when it's time to buy a house. I know quite a few of them. Of course this happens elsewhere as well.
We aren't talking about those places. BUt my DH's best friend moved to Chicago just becasue he wanted to live there. I have about 5 friends from college that moved to Boston becasue they wanted to live there. I don't have one friend from college that moved to LI...but I have plenty of friends from college who grew up on LI and moved away. (I went to college upstate just for frame of reference).

But this thread isn't about that.

The argument made is that people want to move here. They don't - and the only example you came up with is the one I stated is the ONLY reason people move here - a job, or a spouse with a job. There are also threads from people who've moved away and want to come back. That doesn't count.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 AM

76 posts, read 179,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Aren't you being a bit belligerent today. What's the matter? Not getting any turkey for Thanksgiving?

...LOL....just....LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
We aren't talking about those places. BUt my DH's best friend moved to Chicago just becasue he wanted to live there. I have about 5 friends from college that moved to Boston becasue they wanted to live there. I don't have one friend from college that moved to LI...but I have plenty of friends from college who grew up on LI and moved away. (I went to college upstate just for frame of reference).
I also know quite a few people that moved to Boston as well, but they didn't move to a Boston suburb. Plenty of my friends from college moved to Manhattan from other parts of the country...they didn't come to LI.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
The argument made is that people want to move here. They don't - and the only example you came up with is the one I stated is the ONLY reason people move here - a job, or a spouse with a job. There are also threads from people who've moved away and want to come back. That doesn't count.
again, it's a suburb. Who wants to move to ANY suburb from another part of the country unless it's in near say San Diego or Denver or something with an obvious non work related draw?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

Maybe it was the Vomit Comet! You know that thing they train astronauts in that goes up and down to simulate zero gravity. That would explpain a lot come to think of it...

Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
As much as I love LI, I would have to say that if you (or a spouse, family member) do not work in the city (or an industry directly tied to the island) you can probably find a comparable quality of life for less money elsewhere.

But if you do have a job in the city or are a school teacher/cop/whatever, etc, etc, you cannot beat LI. Sure beats the heck out of dirty Jersey and the snootiness of Westchester and CT.

To complain about the congestion and population density of the suburbs of the largest city on this continent (and arguably the most famous city in the world) is crazy. These things should be a given.

The beauty of this place is that you can step off the train from your $$$ Manhattan job and jump in your boat for an evening cruise or pick your kids up from an excellent school.
Obviously you aren't that well traveled - New Jersey isn't all about chemical plants, we too can leave our jobs - locally or city-based, and go cruising on the bay or the ocean. Oh, and for the most part our kids can walk home safely from our excellent school system and not have to worry about the pedophiles like you do out in some of those towns in NY. Not too worry, LI has its fair share of snootiness residing on the North Shore.
As far as traffic goes, LI traffic is no different than driving in the city - a nightmare.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I just asked Oprah for money.
I can't wait to hear the response. If any.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
I never said LI is cheap. Just the opposite in fact. It takes some serious money to take advantage of everything this place has to offer

All I'm saying is that if your making the big NYC bucks and have to live in the metro area somehwere, LI is your best bet.

Ya maybe LI is nothing but the place where your bed is during the week. But on the weekends there's a lot to do.

** And let's not knock stay at home moms. If hubby is bringing home enough bacon, well more power to 'em**
Yes - on the weekends you can get in your car and sit in traffic.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I also know quite a few people that moved to Boston as well, but they didn't move to a Boston suburb. Plenty of my friends from college moved to Manhattan from other parts of the country...they didn't come to LI.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

again, it's a suburb. Who wants to move to ANY suburb from another part of the country unless it's in near say San Diego or Denver or something with an obvious non work related draw?
I'm not the one who made the argument that "lurkers" might be "scared" by threads bashing LI. ..that's what I waas responding to. That is an absurd argument. There is no one lurking here who wants to move to LI just for the helluvit. If you're moving here because you HAVE TO, yes, these threads might be a little scary but you have the option not to read them, why make yourself miserable before you even get here?

When I went away to college I generally got 2 reactions when I told people where I'm from "Really? You don't ACT like you're from Long Island" or "REally? You don't SOUND like you're from Long Island" - both meant as a compliment. No one EVER said - "that's so cool - I always wanted to live there" or "you're so lcuky!" My roomate's extended family was from the same town as me and she never said "Oh, I envied my cousins growing up on Long Island!"

Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post

When I went away to college I generally got 2 reactions when I told people where I'm from "Really? You don't ACT like you're from Long Island" or "REally? You don't SOUND like you're from Long Island" - both meant as a compliment. No one EVER said - "that's so cool - I always wanted to live there" or "you're so lcuky!" My roomate's extended family was from the same town as me and she never said "Oh, I envied my cousins growing up on Long Island!"
Can't argue with this. People here are always comparing LI to places like Orange County CA or The SF bay area counties like Sonoma.... do you think anyone over there ever thinks about moving to LI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island