Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Holy friggin crap!
Save 3-4k a month?
I don't even make that much a month.
good for you!
Hey, could I borrow a coupla bucks?
LOL, keep the sense of humor, living on the Island your going to need it

I know I had a unique situation that most don't. But the thing is I did something about it and moved, instead of writing 1,000's of posts complaining about it. I moved with no friends or family for at least 400 miles from here. Things I don't like TRAFFIC, high TAXES,SNOW,CONGESTION, GRAND AVE, 50x100 LOTS,CARS parked all over the streets,RUDENESS, I could go on and on and on. Lets take out the new 6 bedroom 5 bath 5,000+sqf home with property and an awesome school district, you know what really sets this place apart is the PEOPLE

Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
We're looking to move soon because our kids make this Levitt house too small now (toys, etc.). But do I want to pay $600k plus $14k annual taxes for a bigger house and better school district? After much deliberation, yes, I do want to, for the kids. IS IT WORTH IT? NO. We can go elsewhere and be much happier, happier that we don't have to live nearly paycheck to paycheck and only be able to _maintain_ the life. I've been looking into other areas (NoVA, SD) but they just don't compare given all that is here in 1 "small" area. So it's really tough to leave LI.

No I've never complained about LI here before. But that's my thoughts as we get closer to "upgrade" time. Still very torn.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We're looking to move soon because our kids make this Levitt house too small now (toys, etc.). But do I want to pay $600k plus $14k annual taxes for a bigger house and better school district? After much deliberation, yes, I do want to, for the kids. IS IT WORTH IT? NO. We can go elsewhere and be much happier, happier that we don't have to live nearly paycheck to paycheck and only be able to _maintain_ the life. I've been looking into other areas (NoVA, SD) but they just don't compare given all that is here in 1 "small" area. So it's really tough to leave LI.

No I've never complained about LI here before. But that's my thoughts as we get closer to "upgrade" time. Still very torn.
NoVA and SD have all the same problems we have here, in NOVA maybe to slightly less extent, but not much. Crazy house prices, taxes, traffic.

You don't need a 600K house to move up from a Levitt house. Just get something with a finished basement and a garage and the storage issue is taken care of.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
NoVA and SD have all the same problems we have here, in NOVA maybe to slightly less extent, but not much. Crazy house prices, taxes, traffic.

You don't need a 600K house to move up from a Levitt house. Just get something with a finished basement and a garage and the storage issue is taken care of.
^ it's not only the space, it's the schools too as I mentioned. Put both together and you get towns like Plainview, Syosset, etc. which are $600k. I've looked them up too (parents also still live in Plainview), and for the house you get, it's quite sad. The dilemma is - if we can go elsewhere and get a huge house and good school for even $500k, we are missing the proximity to a decent city, any beaches, or most importantly... family & friends (tri-state area). Sure we'd live a very comfortable life, but it'd also feel empty from what I can foresee. Leap of faith vs. $600k here we come...

Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
^ it's not only the space, it's the schools too as I mentioned. Put both together and you get towns like Plainview, Syosset, etc. which are $600k. I've looked them up too, and for the house you get, it's quite sad.
What areas in NOVA are you comparing to Plainview and Syosset school wise..and please don't tell me that you're talking about public specialty schools where you have to apply to get in.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What areas in NOVA are you comparing to Plainview and Syosset school wise..and please don't tell me that you're talking about public specialty schools where you have to apply to get in.
In my research, McLean, North Arlington, & Vienna. I have no idea how they compare to our schools, just that they're basically top notch in that area. My draw to that area also has to do with IT jobs / gov't jobs being readily available & just the area being a really nice suburb of DC (a sports favorite).

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
^ it's not only the space, it's the schools too as I mentioned. Put both together and you get towns like Plainview, Syosset, etc. which are $600k. I've looked them up too (parents also still live in Plainview), and for the house you get, it's quite sad. The dilemma is - if we can go elsewhere and get a huge house and good school for even $500k, we are missing the proximity to a decent city, any beaches, or most importantly... family & friends (tri-state area). Sure we'd live a very comfortable life, but it'd also feel empty from what I can foresee. Leap of faith vs. $600k here we come...
I don't know about a "huge" house, but 500k is going a lot further these days in Nassau. Have you been out looking at all?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Crooks - You can't judge things and come to conclusions (i.e. the people in Nassau have the most issues) based on posts here... CD forums are an excellent resource, but they far from give a perfect representation of "Long Island". You have to take the info posted here with a grain of salt.

Specific to the OP... I would submit that folks with common sense hate it most here. Most of us can "afford" it - that's not the issue. The issue is value is gone. You will counter this with your beloved Rocky Point as an example of great value, however one thing that the past decade has shown is that past performance doesn't guarantee the future. Just because certain small pockets of LI remain somewhat affordable (I'm really reaching IMO to call any area "affordable"), it doesn't mean that it will remain so. Where are taxes going but UP? Where are basic costs (insurance, utilities) going but UP? and seriously - why do I want a 30yr old bungalow on the side of a hill? Because if I want to buy something even remotely more up-to-date I will get raped with taxes... and pay a retarded premium... and even then, how the hell do I get to work every day? Seriously.

I've seen nothing to indicate that LI isn't just going further down the pooper... and I would counter this post specifically with explaining that people who LOVE it here are not the just ones who can "afford it". The people who love it here on LI are those that are not raising young kids - I speak from personal experience. That's my biggest issue... what does LI offer for a future to my kids? Answer that question honestly and I believe you have the answer to your poll. Forget even the long term future... In the present - LI does not have a monopoly on "excellent" schools - at best they have "very good" schools. They do have the monopoly on horribly inefficient run schools and corruption - I'll buy that. I'll buy heroin and gangs infiltrate everywhere. I'll buy the beaches and the "city". Add all that up and see what the math shows you.
Doom and gloom.

Thanks for weighing in.

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I think we are getting off of the thread topic. The debate over whether or not people stay here as young professionals or move here voluntarily for business has been discussed ad nauseum. The topic at hand is if the perception of those (on this discussion board) who do not like the region are mostly bummed due to the financial struggle, or otherwise. From what I have read Crooks has created a forum for mainly two folks: The classic (and heard from as lurkers/trolls/board visitors for years) "LI sucks! And if you live there you are too dumb to know better because my childhood town/village/hamlet is not what it used to be taxes taxes taxes ahhhhhh!!! You must have never been anywhere else you morons" contingent......or.....the "I am a country type am not a fan of the congestion/rush/hustle/people, etc, which is totally valid.

Why people get so adamant about this topic is beyond me. I like it here, work is here, in-laws are here (that is sometimes a detriment) and we are happy. If work left the area, school system changed for the worse, etc, I would see if a move to another region made more sense going forward. To discuss any region of the country in blanket terms is foolish. Different strokes for different folks. If another area of the country makes sense for me to move to, gues what, I'll go...and I will not check back in with my prior region on chat boards and rant because everyone's experience is subjective.
Thank you JrP.

I just wanted to answer one question.

Whats with all the whining on this board?

If it is indeed that bad why are you here?

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
...LOL....just....LOL
de plane de plane!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO too

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island