Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Although the contract is with the seller, the only person I have ever seen bring a check to the closing is the buyer. So who, in effect, pays the fee?
Well, essentially...but the seller pays the BROKER fee. Buyer pays for everything else, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 45,112 times
So...how do I find these "No broker" fee rentals? Moving to LI is not by choice. My husband matched into a fellowship at North Shore Long Island. He'll be primarily at North Shore University Hospital. Craigs list? I still can't believe I'm responsible for broker's fees. I thought living Chicago was bad enough...

Also, any suggestions as to where to live? I'm now thinking of places in Queens. We have a soon to be 3 year old so family-friendly, safe, good schools town is key.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
^^^
Try craigslist.org. You can search for "no fee" on there.

Also note that there are two areas on craigslist.org for Long Island:

One is under New York State.

The other is under New York City.

So be sure and search in both of them.

PS: Aren't you getting any relocation assistance? If so, perhaps broker's fees can be negotiated into the contract.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Be cautious when trying to avoid brokerage fees on rentals. Often (not always) people do not use brokers to rent their apartments because the apartments are illegal. Illegal apartments can cause serious safety hazards to you and your family. Just to be fair -- even when you use a broker, check with the town to make sure that the apartment is legal. While brokers are not supposed to list illegal apartments some uscrupulous ones indeed do so.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 AM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Tom is right. While a commission is agreed to by the seller, it is actually the buyer(s) bringing all funds to the closing table.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:29 AM

To OP:

On Long Island, apartments must have separate electric/gas utilities.

If you see ads that say "includes all" do not answer them because they are illegal apartments.

Illegal apartments are not inspected and may be dangerous. Even if not dangerous, if someone reports your landlord for having an illegal apartment, you will be forced to move out.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
To OP:

On Long Island, apartments must have separate electric/gas utilities.

If you see ads that say "includes all" do not answer them because they are illegal apartments.

Illegal apartments are not inspected and may be dangerous. Even if not dangerous, if someone reports your landlord for having an illegal apartment, you will be forced to move out.
There is no requirement that legal apartments have seperate utilities. Many legal apartments are offered with all utilities included. The only way to check if an apartment is legal is to call the town in which the property is located.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
There is no requirement that legal apartments have seperate utilities. Many legal apartments are offered with all utilities included. The only way to check if an apartment is legal is to call the town in which the property is located.
I do not think that an apartment in a two-family house in any municipality on Long Island can be legal without having separate utilities. There is such a thing as a mother/daughter house where you can build an apartment in your home which can include utilities, BUT you must rent it to a close relative, not anybody off the street.

In NYC there are many carryovers where there are legal apartments that include all utilities, especially apartment buildings (and some of these have been made into co-ops where the utilities are included in the maintenance), but I have never heard of an apartment like that on Long Island being legal. Do you have any examples of Code on LI where utilities included is legal?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM

I have not seen any town code on Long Island that addresses this issue at all.

Most "Accessory Apartments" (legal apartments within owner occuppied homes that are permitted to rent to other then family members) offer all utilities included.

Many apartment complexes include heat in the rent.

There are many legal two family homes where there is only one heating system, and it is quite common for the landlord to include heat in the rent. It is much easier to split the electric, so most have seperate electricity.

Utility set up is not an indicator of whether an apartment is legal or illegal.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I do not think that an apartment in a two-family house in any municipality on Long Island can be legal without having separate utilities. There is such a thing as a mother/daughter house where you can build an apartment in your home which can include utilities, BUT you must rent it to a close relative, not anybody off the street.

In NYC there are many carryovers where there are legal apartments that include all utilities, especially apartment buildings (and some of these have been made into co-ops where the utilities are included in the maintenance), but I have never heard of an apartment like that on Long Island being legal. Do you have any examples of Code on LI where utilities included is legal?
I own a co-op. All utilities except electric are included in the maintenance...namely just heat/hot water...but I pay my own LIPA bill. It's a legal co-op in a building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island