Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
I think Souzzi took LI for granted. I mean it was no secret he treated LI like his stepping stone to higher office, and he just figured that since Republicans had brought us to brink of financial ruin, that there was no real threat to his re-election. Being passive in this economic climate is not an option.

As for Mangano, I agree with what other posters have said, we will have to wait and see, and hope for the best. I just feel personally that he is not going to be able to address the problems at the source, because was part of creating the problem in the first place and will be aligned with those interests (Just like our federal treasury being run by ex Goldman Sach employees, we see how well that worked out). My gut tells me he will try to find $$ by cutting programs to the lower classes/poor, because he can't raise middle class taxes without a revolt and he will won't be able to cut the bloated public sector which he helped create. So John in Westbury will be really be screwed now....

The Belisi thing I don't get. If voters are so outraged by high taxes, how they you vote in a guy who walked away with half a million from the county coffers and is still collecting 100k a year! Talk about the gang that could not shoot straight!

If anyone should have kicked out to the curb, it should have been the two Democrats that voted for the MTA, Small business payroll tax (Craig Johnson and Brian Foley). I'm not sure if they were up for re-election, but that legislation was a crime. I'm sure there are plenty of small business that have nothing to do with MTA and now they are stuck with this stupid tax to help pay for MTA's poor management.
Suozzi cut more than his predecessor, Tom Gulotta. Look at how our parks have been sold off to the towns. And the public transportation subsidy is much less under Suozzi than it was under Gulotta. Then there's the mess that the once world class NCPD has become.
County services were much better under Tom Gulotta than Tom Suozzi. But we wont see improvments as long as the Nassau County is in the red. Raise taxes on the rich, cut waste, and deny welfare to non-citizens. Of course I'm not too confident that anyone in Nassau County Govt gets that formula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Suozzi cut more than his predecessor, Tom Gulotta. Look at how our parks have been sold off to the towns. And the public transportation subsidy is much less under Suozzi than it was under Gulotta. Then there's the mess that the once world class NCPD has become.
County services were much better under Tom Gulotta than Tom Suozzi. But we wont see improvments as long as the Nassau County is in the red. Raise taxes on the rich, cut waste, and deny welfare to non-citizens. Of course I'm not too confident that anyone in Nassau County Govt gets that formula.

Many of the problems with the NCPD come from the absurd contracts that were handed to them during the 90's. In 06 Suozzi was actually able to get some concessions to scale back some of that absurdity.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many of the problems with the NCPD come from the absurd contracts that were handed to them during the 90's. In 06 Suozzi was actually able to get some concessions to scale back some of that absurdity.
Absurd in your opinion.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go HU Pride View Post
What do you mean by this? How could his opinion be absurb, it's spot on.
Read both posts, carefully this time. He claims the contract is absurd. That is an opinion, not a fact. Others believe that the contract is not absurd. That, too, is opinion, not fact. No one stated that his opinion was absurd.

Clear?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You wrote: Absurd in your opinion. Then you state that no one stated that his opinion was absurd. Which is it? Please read extra-carefully this time, and get some help if necessary.
Apparently you have some difficulty understanding the written word. The explanation I gave you was as simple as I could make it. To try and explain it any further would obviously be useless.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
I believe the NCPD contracts were absurd. Why? They simply didn't make economic sense. We could still could have had an effective police force with lower salaries and reduced benefits. It's a question of supply and demand. Effectively, the County government doled out salaries and benefits way above what normal supply and demand curves would have dictated. This often happens in any collective bargaining arrangement at the government level.

That said, what's going on in our school districts is just as bad if not worse.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Read both posts, carefully this time. He claims the contract is absurd. That is an opinion, not a fact. Others believe that the contract is not absurd. That, too, is opinion, not fact. No one stated that his opinion was absurd.

Clear?

Just out of curiosity how many people other than some other cops do you honestly believe don't think $437,000 payouts of tax payer $$ is absurd???

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I understand what you meant, but how you said it implied that the opinion was absurd. Use a comma next time.

PS - it's a fact the contract is absurb, why do you think there's so much talk about it?
Comma not necessary, skippy. And since there is no objective measurement of what constitutes absurd, it is, therefore, your opinion ... and not a fact. (Note the proper use of the commas.)

Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Just out of curiosity how many people other than some other cops do you honestly believe don't think $437,000 payouts of tax payer $$ is absurd???
We've already discussed your lack of knowledge of the provisions of police contracts.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
We've already discussed your lack of knowledge of the provisions of police contracts.

Which has nothing to do with my question... You made a comment about others not thinking those payouts are absurd, so what I asked was how many people who aren't cops do you honestly believe do not think a $437,000 payout of taxpayer $$$ is absurd??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island