Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,710,371 times

Advertisements

wow

Hofstra cancels its football program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM

22,103 posts, read 19,312,195 times
Colston
Quote:
“I don’t know all of the different reasons behind the decision but I will always fondly remember my collegiate days playing for the Hofstra Pride,”
Chrebet
Quote:
“We just built something that we thought was special,” “We got to be a ranked team. We got a couple of guys in the pros. Hofstra got to be a well-known school.”
Chrebet Says He Is Shocked That Hofstra Cut Football Program - Bloomberg.com

Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,294,243 times
Even though I'm not living on LI any more (born and raised plus kids then have been job relocated twice.) I still read this forum daily. Rarely contribute as I have been gone since 2004.

I cannot believe that Hofstra has eliminated their football program. My husband was a starter and and on a full scholarship in the mid '70's. During his first first year they were division 1. Howdy Meyers must be rolling over in his grave!

I guess it is different times-they said lack of interest.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,209,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Even though I'm not living on LI any more (born and raised plus kids then have been job relocated twice.) I still read this forum daily. Rarely contribute as I have been gone since 2004.

I cannot believe that Hofstra has eliminated their football program. My husband was a starter and and on a full scholarship in the mid '70's. During his first first year they were division 1. Howdy Meyers must be rolling over in his grave!

I guess it is different times-they said lack of interest.
Maybe they will give some of the $$$ from the athletic scholarships to deserving kids with excellent grades instead !!!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:40 PM

16 posts, read 42,847 times
It is a different world today. Kids are sitting on Facebok and playing Call of Duty video games instead of taking an interest in sports. -Rohmell Brills

Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I can't read the article as I am not an optonline subscriber and I am not about to shell out $1 for the Newsrag.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 PM

852 posts, read 2,011,229 times
I am very pleased by this move. $4+ million for this program. What no one here is considering, and the news isn't mentioning, is that Title IX requirements would have required the athletics program to ensure gender equity. Every $4 million on football is $4 million on field hockey, women's gymnastics, and whatever else.

The great thing about being at a private university in the Northeast is that you don't have to depend on state support of a football program for state support for your university. Besides, there isn't much public support in the Northeast for football programs to begin with.

As an employee at Hofstra, I am very, very happy to be at a university whose priorities are academics over athletics. Thank you Rabinowitz!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I can't read the article as I am not an optonline subscriber and I am not about to shell out $1 for the Newsrag.
Newsrag ! That's what we call it at work. Thought we were original . LOL

Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I am very pleased by this move. $4+ million for this program. What no one here is considering, and the news isn't mentioning, is that Title IX requirements would have required the athletics program to ensure gender equity. Every $4 million on football is $4 million on field hockey, women's gymnastics, and whatever else.

The great thing about being at a private university in the Northeast is that you don't have to depend on state support of a football program for state support for your university. Besides, there isn't much public support in the Northeast for football programs to begin with.

As an employee at Hofstra, I am very, very happy to be at a university whose priorities are academics over athletics. Thank you Rabinowitz!
When I went to Hofstra in the mid 70s , the school was well known primarily in the Northeast. It's grown tremendously ,and known all over the country now.
Private colleges on LI were lowering their standards in the 80s to keep enrollment up, but Hofstra bit the bullet and raised their admission standards. They had a few lean years, but eventually the idea worked for them.
Not every college needs a football team to keep its name in the papers. Hofstra is doing that with Presidential Debates and the eventual establishment of a medical school.
With all due respect, why lament a football team that sent only a handful of players to the pros in recent memory ? (Chrebet and Larry Grantham). I heard on the radio only 500 students would show for home games .. and the tickets were free for them !
I hope more universities follow their lead.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM

11,540 posts, read 12,565,080 times
This was the letter sent by Pres. Rabinowitz to the Hofstra community:

To Hofstra University Alumni:
After a comprehensive review, the Board of Trustees has, at my recommendation, voted unanimously to eliminate our intercollegiate football program in order to redirect those resources toward academic initiatives and need-based scholarships.

This decision is not a budget reduction, but rather a strategically driven reallocation of resources. We have no plans for any further major changes to our Division I athletics program, which we believe is an integral part of a fully textured university experience. We will continue to host 17 intercollegiate sports and to continue to invest significantly in our athletics program. However, at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) level, football could not attain significant national recognition, and it has had low student, community and media interest, attendance and financial support. In addition, the football program, the largest of the athletic programs, is by far the most expensive. In the end, we could not continue to justify the expense of football compared to the benefits it brought to the University.

This was a difficult decision, undertaken after a thorough review of all aspects of the issue. After much discussion and analysis, we believe with certainty that it is the right choice for Hofstra University. This strategic decision to reallocate resources is based on our academic mission and priorities, and our vision of attaining recognition as one of our nation’s leading universities. Investment in academic initiatives and need-based scholarships is warranted for the long term benefit of our students and the University community.

Simply stated, academic excellence has been and will continue to be our highest priority. Hofstra has made significant strides in the past decade, dramatically improving the credentials of entering classes, adding new professorships and chairs, creating national centers such as the Kalikow Center for the Study of the American Presidency and the National Center for Suburban Studies, and establishing the Hofstra University School of Medicine in partnership with North Shore- LIJ Health System. Hofstra’s potential is limitless, and there are many exciting and new possibilities for the future, including enhancements to our hard science and engineering programs, including new graduate programs, as well as new programs in public health and other health related fields.
Our first priority, at this time, is to work with the 84 football student-athletes to ensure that they manage this transition in whatever manner is most comfortable for them. We hope that they will continue to make Hofstra their academic home, and will fully honor their scholarships so they can complete their degree. However, we will also understand if they decide to transfer to continue playing football while attending school. Whichever they decide to do, we will provide the necessary assistance. We are grateful to all of them, and to our coaching staff, for their dedicated efforts for our University. All of our students and alumni are valued members of the Hofstra family, and we respect and honor the contributions of our football student-athletes over the years.
If we are to continue our momentum and strive to become one of our nation’s best institutions of higher education, standing for excellence in every way, we must invest in academics and programs in which we can compete at the highest level. It is more essential than ever that we invest our resources wisely, and consider fully how we meet our mission as a university.
Sincerely,
Stuart Rabinowitz
President, Hofstra University

It wasn't that long ago that they plowed all that money to refurbish the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island