Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Washington Native View Post
Trader Joe's is on South Oyster Bay Road in Plainview. Unique selections - I'm still learning my way through the store. Great customer service of any grocery store hands down and some good prices - we love Kerry Gold butter and they carry it for more than $1 less than any other store.
Good stuff that I've tried so far - Frozen Sockeye salmon, Niman Ranch bacon, mini creamsicle-like ice cream bars, rice pudding, Texas bread (makes great French toast), mini burger buns, frozen veggies, frozen carrot cake, small but nice cheese selection.

Outside of the Holy Trinity and back to my neighborhood there's Uncle Giussepes (sp.?) for a nice deli department, good fresh sauces and pasta and the best fresh mozzarella I have found in Nassau County. UG's is on Port Washington Blvd., PW.
Kerry Gold butter is the best. I bought it to use in my T'giving cooking. The bit that was left I placed in the butter dish next to the Land 'o lakes -- which looked sickly pale next to the KG. The flavor is phenomenal.

I like Trader Joes in Lake Grove for many of the same reasons.

Uncle Guiseppe's (Smithtown) I like for everything except regular groceries (ie cereal, paper goods, ice cream, etc.) The deli, the bakery, produce, and (according to my 10 year old) the chocolate fountain are excellent!

The former Stop and Shop on 112 in Port Jeff Station is currently being renovated for a new Uncle Guiseppe's location. Drove by earlier today and the store looks cavernous compared to the Smithtown store. My house should be plunk in the middle of the two -- I look forward to checking out the new store when it opens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Stop & Shop is probably the best chain on LI, considering Pathmark is now owned by A&P, which defines "running the business into the ground" as an art. Most of S&S's stores are usually clean and while their prices aren't the best, they're pretty good all around. Almost any of S&S's stores that have been renovated in the past few years are pretty good.

Shoprite would be the best if they had more locations on LI. They have the best sales period and they don't gouge you for non-sale items like Pathmark and Waldbaums. I'm pissed that the plans for a SR in East Patchogue fell through.

As for other supermarkets, gotta give props to Fairway. It's the closest you'll probably ever get to Wegmans on Long Island.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Fairway in Plainview really is the highest quality larger grocer on LI.

As far as chain ones that are nice though, the Massapequa (Sunrise Highway) Waldbaums is beautiful on the inside, and has a great market inside.

Though to RoleModel... I wouldn't begin to compare anything to a Wegmans. That's where God buys his groceries.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 AM

138 posts, read 492,057 times
i've got a soft spot for King Kullen.

i'll reiterate Plainview Shoprite, John's Farms & Fairway. All great.

alas, we just moved from that general area so we be there as often.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Though to RoleModel... I wouldn't begin to compare anything to a Wegmans. That's where God buys his groceries.
I know. Fairway is the closest LI will ever get to that, and even that is not even close.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 33,505 times
Default Bohack village

The Bohack village supermarket in center moriches is the best supermarket in Suffolk county! They have great sales this week, so check them out.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I can tell you that Waldbaums in Commack on Jericho is horrible. I have often found expired food on the shelves. They constantly over charge. They used to give you the item for free if the over charged but I do not think they do so anymore.
Thats pretty typical for Waldbaums. I worked for them in High school (not on LI) and then agin after getting out of the Navy for a bit ait was the same thing.

The best Supermarket NOT on LI is Wegmans

Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
safeway and publix (love their .99 cent a lbs chickens)

Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
What exactly makes Wegmans better than other grocery stores?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 PM

152 posts, read 547,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Kerry Gold butter is the best. I bought it to use in my T'giving cooking. The bit that was left I placed in the butter dish next to the Land 'o lakes -- which looked sickly pale next to the KG. .
That's not a good thing. Real fresh butter is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island