Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What are you SCPD?

I remember one company I worked for, they told you that you had unlimited sick time..but if you called in sick somebody else would have to work on their day off, so no one would ever call in.

Nope, not a cop. I'm an engineer. I am off every other Friday as well.

We don't have get people to come in for us. But if your absence hurts the project and you don't have a damn good reason why you are calling out it's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
What are you SCPD?

I remember one company I worked for, they told you that you had unlimited sick time..but if you called in sick somebody else would have to work on their day off, so no one would ever call in.
He's in a different cushy union.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:48 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,994 times
My last 2 companies gave you Paid Time Off (PTO) days. You accure a certain number of hours per month. For me, it ends up being about 4 weeks for the year. You use a PTO day for any time out of the office - sick, vacation, personal, etc. There are a few exceptions, such as bereavement. You have to manage the time carefully, as you cannot carry over any more than 40 hours a year. You can "borrow" from future accrued time, if necessary.

A while back, I worked for a company that gave 5 weeks of vacation and unlimited sick...that was a really nice perk, but overall not worth staying there.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Nope, not a cop. I'm an engineer. I am off every other Friday as well.

We don't have get people to come in for us. But if your absence hurts the project and you don't have a damn good reason why you are calling out it's a problem.
I did every other Friday off at my last job, loved it. Worked 1/2 hour extra every day, got every other Friday off. 9-5 with 1 hour paid lunch. I miss that place!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
I had the 4 day work week a few years back, 4 ten hour days. Man was that sweet. Take one day Tues-Thurs off every week, get all of your errands, car repairs, grocery shopping and other nonsense out of the way so the weekend is all about FUN!!

My current employer expects you to work 5 10 hour days.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM

131 posts, read 610,225 times
I work on Long island. I get 10 sick days per year, paid of course. I also receive 3 personal days that can be used for anything. If I do not use the sicks days, I lose them and do not get paid out for them.

If for some reason I got sick and used 5 days in a row, I believe you get short term disability right away and get to keep your sick time. If you have a condition where 10 days is not enough, see a doctor and apply for FMLA. Look up FMLA to get more info.

When my daughter was born I used 2 months of FMLA time. This was paid using my accrued vacation time. You can also use it intermittently.

For example, when a member of my team that work under me call out, it hurts. If they use FMLA, I cannot touch them or even ask them why there were out. If they call out every Saturday using FMLA time, I also cannot speak to them about it.

So to answer your question if you need more time apply for FMLA for yourself or your kids or mom or dad (only if you need to).

Also, if you are a smaller company, stagger your sick time with employees. Only allow a few days in the first 2 months and then add more time as the year goes on. If it's an emergency they can use all the time at once without any corrective actions but it encourages them not too. (obviously this is not meant for management but rather non exempt employees)

Last edited by AnthonyNYC; 12-11-2009 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: thank u i love li for the correction, 5 instead of 10

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM

131 posts, read 610,225 times
he Family Medical Leave Act was signed into law in 1993 to balance needs of employers and employees in circumstances when employees must take extended medical leaves for serious medical conditions, including pregnancy, or to care for family members. The purpose of the law is to protect employee jobs in these circumstances. It does not necessarily pay the employee during this time, if the employee does not otherwise have paid time off (sick days, vacation, personal days).

Who is covered under this law?
A "covered employer" is an employer: "who employs 50 or more employees for each working day during each of 20 or more calendar workweeks in the current or preceding calendar year."

Eligible employees are those who
Have worked for their covered employer at least a year (not necessarily consecutive), and
Have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period immediately before the leave, and who
Work at a location where at least 50 employees are employed at the location or within 75 miles of the location.
What Are the Main Provisions?
FMLA provisions require employers to grant eligible employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave, for one or more of the following:
for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care
to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
The term "serious health condition" is defined specifically in the law.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
^^^
I thought STD starts after 5 days sick in a row.

As for FMLA, you may not be able to question them, but they have to fill in forms with all the proof and give them to HR. In my last place someone was fired for using FMLA improperly because he was not telling the truth and could not give the proper documentation. (Right after this guy passed his 3 month probation period, he was literally out more than in. I think he was just using us to get health insurance and had no intention of showing up for work consistently.)

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 AM

416 posts, read 697,906 times
Quote:
My current employer expects you to work 5 10 hour days.
Lucky you, I'm expected to work 5 12-hour days and 10 hours over the weekend.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
here is what my company does: per 2 week payperiod...26 payperiods a year

at work 0-6 years:
4 hrs of annual (vacation) leave/
4 hrs of sick time

sick time a forever rollover, vacation time max 240 in the bank

at work 6-12 years:
6 hrs vacation/payperiod
4 hrs sick/pay

at work 12-30 years:
8 hrs vacation/pay
4 hrs sick/pay

with additional (when needed) jury, military, death(in family)(max 5 days) administrative leaves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island