Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 AM

176 posts, read 729,787 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am doing a whole bunch of research because I am a cautious buyer. I love the towns listed above because of locations and school district however my price range for those locations leave us very limited. There might me some chances we might get a home in those areas for no more than 350k but the chances are quite slim. I was looking into Selden, Rocky point and possibly miller place. I looked at the school stats and the middle country school ratings is 7-8. What are the disadvantages of these affordable locations, schools, resale and commute? I work in Nassau hubby works in Queens. Are these locations too far? Are the school that much worst? Will resale really be that horrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Hi all,

I am doing a whole bunch of research because I am a cautious buyer. I love the towns listed above because of locations and school district however my price range for those locations leave us very limited. There might me some chances we might get a home in those areas for no more than 350k but the chances are quite slim. I was looking into Selden, Rocky point and possibly miller place. I looked at the school stats and the middle country school ratings is 7-8. What are the disadvantages of these affordable locations, schools, resale and commute? I work in Nassau hubby works in Queens. Are these locations too far? Are the school that much worst? Will resale really be that horrible?
Selden is an extra 15-20 minutes of commuting, Rocky Point an extra 30-45.

Middle Country Schools are considered in the bottom 1/3rd of schools in Suffolk. Rocky Point a little better, Miller Place a little better than Rocky Point. Selden and Centereach are considered more working class type ares, with some more run down homes than you would find in the other areas you mentioned. You need to drive around these areas before considering. They are also center of the Island, which is considered not as good as either shore.

I'd look into Connetquot School District if you can't afford your first choices and still want good schools and a reasonable commute, but want something with more "center of the island" affordability and not outrageous taxes (although taxes in Oakdale by the water are outrageous). You can do pretty well for 350K there at this point in the market.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Selden is an extra 15-20 minutes of commuting, Rocky Point an extra 30-45.

Middle Country Schools are considered in the bottom 1/3rd of schools in Suffolk. Rocky Point a little better, Miller Place a little better than Rocky Point. Selden and Centereach are considered more working class type ares, with some more run down homes than you would find in the other areas you mentioned. You need to drive around these areas before considering. They are also center of the Island, which is considered not as good as either shore.

I'd look into Connetquot School District if you can't afford your first choices and still want good schools and a reasonable commute, but want something with more "center of the island" affordability and not outrageous taxes (although taxes in Oakdale by the water are outrageous). You can do pretty well for 350K there at this point in the market.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check out connetquot school district. What you think of Bethpage, Levittown, farmingdale and central Islip?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check out connetquot school district. What you think of Bethpage, Levittown, farmingdale and central Islip?
Central Islip: No, bottom 5 school in Suffolk.

I live in Suffolk, so Nassau towns I'm not quite as familiar with, although what I've seen and heard of Betpage I like. Farmingdale and Levittown are okay.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
CI is a NO NO !!
Old Bethpage-Plainview is considered good.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
To the OP....What about West Babylon, Islip Terrace or Islip?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Hi all,

you may want to check out Lindenhurst, West Babylon, North Babylon, Deer Park, and Babylon.

$350k might just get you something pretty good in any of those areas.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:56 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^^ I dont agree on Babylon.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Forget Central Islip. A lot of it is kind of ghetto and so are schools.

For your price range and the work locations, your other choices are good.

I would advise Levittown as the one most likely to have more in your price range available than the others. It is very family friendly with a lot of parks and good schools. Plus it is an excellent commute for both you and your husband.

The only thing I don't like about Levittown is that the homes are highly taxed relative to their value, but since you said in another thread you are prepared to pay high taxes as long as the home price doesn't exceed what you want to pay, that should be fine for you.

Although most homes in Levittown do not have basements, you said the only scenario where you would want a basement is in a 2 bedroom house. You will find plenty of houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms in Levittown within your price range.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Forget Central Islip. A lot of it is kind of ghetto and so are schools.

For your price range and the work locations, your other choices are good.

I would advise Levittown as the one most likely to have more in your price range available than the others. It is very family friendly with a lot of parks and good schools. Plus it is an excellent commute for both you and your husband.

The only thing I don't like about Levittown is that the homes are highly taxed relative to their value, but since you said in another thread you are prepared to pay high taxes as long as the home price doesn't exceed what you want to pay, that should be fine for you.

Although most homes in Levittown do not have basements, you said the only scenario where you would want a basement is in a 2 bedroom house. You will find plenty of houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms in Levittown within your price range.
Thanks for this info, yes I am willing to pay high taxes as long as the homes prices do not exeed what I'm looking to pay. I'm such a notorious planner and overly cautious that I want to make sure that the decision will be right and that we will not be mortgage poor just living to pay mortgage is not what we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island